PDA

View Full Version : PPL Pre flight test training / revision

troy_99992000
9th Feb 2005, 13:16
Hi,

Has anyone had any trouble with there PPL pre test flight training? You have to have a class one instructor to pass you on a mock flight test, if that goes well they will put you forward for the real flight test. It’s been going well so far, but since starting on this last phase of my training I seem to be going backwards! Most of the instructors, although excellent, seem to have different views on how to do circuits etc? This is causing me more difficulty and confusion as I have my own gaps to fill too! It’s taking ages.

I would be grateful for any stories and experiences on the PPL Pre Mock flight test from anyone that has, or is at that stage of the PPL.

Thanks
Troy.

FlyingForFun
9th Feb 2005, 13:33
The reason is because there are lots of different ways of doing circuits. However, the chief instructor of your school should be responsible for ensuring that there is some standardisation - he needs to speak to his instructors, and get them all to teach the same method.

There also seems to be a problem with the instructors themselves. Personally, if I'm flying with another instructor's student, I will let him get on with whatever it is that he's doing, unless it's obviously wrong or not safe - even if it's not the same way that I'd teach it. What I might do is suggest an alternative way of doing something to the student - but I always make it clear, when I do this, that there is nothing wrong with what the student is doing at the moment, and the alternative really is just an alternative. It's then down to the student to try both methods and make up his own mind which works best for him. If you take that view with each new technique that a new instructor shows you, it can be to your benefit in the long run.

In the short term, however, that's not the answer you want. So what I would suggest is that you agree with each instructor how you are going to do your circuits before the start of the flight. When you are briefing for the flight, you can say something like "can I check with you where I've been making flap and power adjustments in the circuits, just to make sure that you're ok with the way my other instructor taught me." That way, any difference of opinion can be sorted out on the ground, which is far cheaper than doing it in the circiut.

FFF
-------------