PDA

View Full Version : Fri 2 & Ftc / Ftc (a)

hyd3failure
9th Feb 2005, 10:01
I've just heard a buzz that the flood gates are open and that anyone who ticks the box for FTC will get it. Does this mean that they will become eligible for FRI2 ?
And if so, how much wonga is it?

FORMER PIONEER
9th Feb 2005, 10:57
If you want the details, I suggest you:-

Pop into the crewroom....

Ask Your Staff Office....

Book an appointment with your Line Manager....

Pop down your UPO....

Read the signals....

Read the DCI.....

Pick up your MOD phone and dial Centurion......

Why ask on PPrune when there is a wealth of official information on the subject????????:confused:

VoicesFromTheCreche
9th Feb 2005, 10:59
Or ask crossbow........:ok: :ok: :ok:

hyd3failure
9th Feb 2005, 11:21
Thanks for the help. Remind me to scratch you off my Xmas card list. I though Crossbows was in the RAF, so what would he know about FTC?

16 blades
9th Feb 2005, 15:49
What is FTC?

16B

hyd3failure
9th Feb 2005, 16:20
Full Term Commission – It means that you’re committed until you’re 50. Which is all very well UNTIL you decide to PVR when you will discover you take a pay drop!!!! (Something, which has always grinded with me, I can never understand the legality of taking a drop in pay when you decide to leave).

Does that happen in the RAF ? If you choose to leave the RAF does your Flying pay go down a scale to the lower scale?

Oggin Aviator
9th Feb 2005, 16:41
With only a handful of WAFUs selected for FTC last time I wouldnt really say that the floodgates have opened. Where did you hear this rumour, I'd be interested to find out (for purely personal reasons)? I'm sure Si Clik can off some sage advice on this matter.

If, however, you do get selected you then become eligible for FRI 2, payable at your IPP (16/38 point) which coincides with effectively the end of your CC and the start of the rest of your time ie the time served under FTC. So therefore yes you will get FRI 2 at the moment, which is currently 50K (30K after tax). Whether this will continue has not been finally decided I think, however Si Clik did allude to the shortages in the FAA, especially Observers, saying it is still in at the moment. For how long who knows?

The RAF appear not to have such a shortage, hence they are discontinuing the FRI, which for some of them just about to hit the relevent dates is a kick in the pants. As the airlines are starting to expand and recruit a bit more post the 9/11 slump, I forsee a lot of RAF aircrew leaving now their FRI is going, which may mean the RAF reintroduce it at some point down the line.

Oggin

Dancing Bear
9th Feb 2005, 17:11
HYD 3

Cant say as I think this is the case at the moment, FTC selection is published by signal in November so we will have to wait and see if the Floodgates are really open, as for the last one, it only had 5 or 6 lookers on and 15 or so pilots, as I remember, which is bizzare as we are so desperately short.

Oggin Aviator, IPP is usually 37, 21 years pension start and 16 years pensionable service, at least thats what I'm doing my financial planning on!!

Fingers crossed they last for a couple more years at least.

Remember the value of investments can go down as well as up!!

hyd3failure
9th Feb 2005, 17:14
I have it on (reasonably) good authority that if you have ticked the "I want FTC" box then you will get it. This years signal may be a biggy !

However, there seems to be something very fishy going on....One minute you can't get FTC for love nor money and then everyone gets it !!!! Odd?

UNLESS - they base the fact that to give out the FRI you need to have some people you want to retain BUT if everyone is on FTC then they are already retained and therefore don't need an FRI...or am I being to untrusting?

cobaltfrog
9th Feb 2005, 17:15
Oggin

It was as a result of a signal a few days ago which states, in round about terms, that because of the amount of Lt and Lt Cdrs coming to the end of their time or leaving they ESTIMATE that they will need to uptake more on the signal in Nov 2005 and 2006. FTC(A) will remain unaffected.

Hope that helps.

Si Clik
9th Feb 2005, 18:12
It would appear that my presence has been requested on this forum.

A few facts:

FTC(A) is for service until age 55 and still allows you(if you so desire and are capable) to be promoted to Cdr.

There will be no glut just a normal selection of correctly qualified and capable people. These will hopefully be from all force areas and at a range of seniorities.

Any rumours of gluts and massive numbers are sadly mistaken.

Shortage areas remain amongst Lts and not Lt Cdrs, more work stiil required.

Oh, and please help me to get more people to join.

:hmm:

Tourist
9th Feb 2005, 18:26
Si,
I have it on good authority that you are mistaken
I was also told by a v reliable source that if you ask right now you will probably get

Oggin Aviator
9th Feb 2005, 18:27
Cobaltfrog - Thanks - I dont get access to UK signals where I am.

Dancing Bear - It is aged 38 or 16 years reckonable service from age 21 (for Officers), the important bit being whichever comes later.

Hence if you join at aged 20, IPP is your 38th Birthday, ie you actually serve anything up to 18 years, depending on your birthdate and entry date to BRNC.

If you join aged 22, it is 16 years service, so you will be over 38 at IPP anyway.

If you join aged 21 (or younger), it works out at aged 38 at IPP as serving 16 years only puts you at aged 37 (or younger).

If you join aged 24, it is 16 years service, so you will be 40 at IPP.

The bottom line is that you will be 38 whatever, so aged 37 doesnt come into it.

[edit to say if you got commissioned through the SD (=SUY) or CW schemes the rules may be different due to your previous non commissioned service. I wasnt so dont know the differences.]

This is the way I have always understood the rules, I may well be wrong but I have financially planned as well as everyone else (esp over the FRI issue) and I think I am right. Anyone with a expert knowledge of BR766 or Officer Career Regs may well be able to put me right.

Anyway, I look forward to the plethora of WAFUs on the signal this November, instead of them stringing everyone along year after year not allowing productive future planning.

Hyd 3 - Just because someone gets FTC does not tie them to the service - they can still PVR anytime (although as a WAFU you have to accept the drop in one level of SSP Flying having PVR'd). By signing up to FRI 2 they get to keep you for 5 years, if you PVR you pay it back (and take the drop in SSP Flying). So dropping FRI 2 but increasing the numbers on FTC may well not stem the flow outside, esp with airline recruiting on the up.

Any news on the RA being extended to 55?

Hey diddly dee, a sailor's life for me :{

Oggin

Si Clik
9th Feb 2005, 18:40
Well you can argue with me if you like.

Still lets sit back and wait shall we.

This is a rumour network after all.

PMs always welcome.

Or you could always ring me.

:hmm:

burpblade
10th Feb 2005, 00:11
Sorry Oggin, but I think D'Bear is right. IPP is not the same as the dates for your Commission. 16 yrs reckonable for the IPP. That's it I'm afraid. The air station UPOs should be on the ball and give you a heads up in plenty of time to get the paperwork in. If not sack the Chief writer!

Anyway,

Cobaltfrog appears to be right on the money re signals. No doubt some pen pushing rubber desk johnny has a plan.

Ref retirement age @ 55. Nope. Apparantly all factored into manning levels and designed to achieve the required number of Lt Cdr man years required for the appointing and promotion plots. Yeah, I know, sounds too clever to be true doesn't it? So I'm under the impression that it won't happen. You could always try the 2SL buzzbuster!!!!!!

And Si. That recruitment drum is starting to irritate just a little. It may be your pet thing at the moment (funny that - you're in a recruiting job. Talk about going native), but do give it a rest. :ok:

Oggin Aviator
10th Feb 2005, 05:15
In the AFPS pdf file on the MoD Website it says quote:

Immediate Pension

A pension paid immediately on leaving the Armed
Forces after 16 years’ reckonable service as an officer
or 22 years’ reckonable service in the ranks

and ...

Reckonable Service

Reckonable Service is the Service which counts towards
a member’s pension. For officers this starts at age 21
for a maximum of 34 years and for other ranks at age
18 for a maximum of 37 years.

End Quotes.

Therefore you could reach IPP aged 37 and I think both burpblade and Dancing Bear are right and I am wrong. I humbly apologise and sit corrected. Doesnt actually affect me as I joined when I was 22 and 3 days, so my IPP is aged 38 and 2 (?) days.

So if RA stays at 50, what do we do with ourselves? Cant really get a decent second job when you are that old, unless of course you are aerosystems trained and get poached by BWoS or Thales etc.

Oggin.

hyd3failure
10th Feb 2005, 07:02
FTC(A) is for service until age 55 and still allows you(if you so desire and are capable) to be promoted to Cdr Yeah, right. So how many FTC(A) guys have been promoted to CDR. Come to think of it, How many SL Aircrew have been promoted to CDR in the last 10 years?

1...2....I can name 2 but lose it a bit after that. Nope, if you want to be promoted to Cdr you need to have a Bridge ticket.