PDA

View Full Version : Where do all the old helis go.

bugdevheli
8th Feb 2005, 21:58
There must come a time when all helicopters run out of hours or are uneconomical to recondition. where in the UK do they end up as i would like to collect a few more .anything considered. Have trailer will travel. Thanks Bug. PS damaged not a problem.

TomBola
9th Feb 2005, 00:49
Bug,

They don't end up in UK, they end up in Africa. If you can do a trans-Sahara run with your trailer to Nigeria you'll find lots of Hughes 269s (not flying), Bo 105s (not flying), early Swidnicks (I think)(not flying), some wrecked Mil24s a few very old 355s (not flying), some very, very, very old Bell 212s (still flying). You'll probably find quite a few bits of old S55s and Wessex scattered around in the swamps around Warri as well. :ok:

Ian Corrigible
9th Feb 2005, 01:28
A lot of them spend their final years in NZ, PNG and Australia.

I/C

SASless
9th Feb 2005, 04:07
Nigeria is the graveyard of old airplanes....and pilots it seems.

helicopter-redeye
9th Feb 2005, 07:55
There's a geeza in a national park (the Peak District I think) that collects old aircraft/ helicopters and parks then in his large garden (subject to a recent council action, which I think he won)??

Look back over the last 5 or 6 months of Pilot mag or similiar. It was featured in there.

We send our old helicopters to France.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
9th Feb 2005, 08:11
SAS,

I resent (or is it resemble), that remark !! Lots of over 60's there now, especially with Bristow. One or two with ACN too I think.

There are about 6 rotting Polish helicopters (forgotten the make/model) at Benin airport too. They were brought in by a rich guy in '93 to try and break into the offshore market and got nowhere. No surprise there I suppose !!

Cheers,

NEO.

verticalhold
9th Feb 2005, 08:42
This thread begs the question "if helicopter flying is so safe why aren't there any fly ins/meetings for old helicopters ala vintage fixed wing world?"

Felt very old to see a couple of my old airborne conveyances in the Helicopter Museum at Weston-Super-Mare:cool:

SASless
9th Feb 2005, 12:42
I know the feeling.....went into the US Army Museum at Fort Rucker several years back....to discover one of the Chinooks I flew as an student then later as an instructor....now safely on display there.

Olympic Flight Museum in Olympia operates some "old" Hueys....even one called "Grandpa's Bird".....the one I flew in the summer displays. Wonder why it was called that?:confused:

purple chopper
9th Feb 2005, 13:33
These guys have been protecting and conserving helicopter history for over 30 years now:
http://www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk/

They are always looking for parts and new helicopters. The helicopters in the collection are all non flying exhibits and this is the Worlds largest dedicated helicopter museum with over 90 helicopters in the collection.

They hold an annual helicopter show attracting helicopters from all over the UK and military helicopters from across Europe. This museum is funded by the public gate and support from grants and all the gate proceeds from the helicopter show.

They would welcome any and all support from you guys.

The only other dedicated helicopter museum is in Germany.