PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN Scholarships (J N Somers & others) 2004/2005/2206

JetSetJim
24th Apr 2004, 09:38
Having applied for this year's PPL scholarship with GAPAN, I am yet to hear anything back. The closing date for applications was 8th April and I believe interviews are scheduled for 25th/26th May.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas if only successful applicants are contacted/when I can expect to hear?

Fingers crossed! JSJ

Biggles_WannaB
24th Apr 2004, 21:55
Hey JetSetJim,

I'm in exactly the same boat! Applied roughly a week before the deadline but as yet still haven’t heard a peep from the guys at GAPAN. I wouldn't worry too much though, from what I remember from previous experience with GAPAN and ALET they do take a while to get back to you. They do contact all applicants to let you know one way or another, but as with most companies they will contact the successfull peops first. If you still haven’t heard anything in a week or two I’d say it's safe to assume you weren't successful this time round.

Chin up, and the best of luck,
BW :)

JetSetJim
25th Apr 2004, 10:06
Hey BW,

Many thanks for the reply. It's good to know we're not alone in all this!

Speaking to GAPAN at the Flyer Flight Training Show recently, they were expecting in the region of 120 applications for the PPL scholarship, which I reckon has to be better odds than anything else out there at the mo!

Good luck & all the best. JSJ
:cool:

Louis Euan
25th Apr 2004, 10:39
Similar question to the other thread about GAPAN. Has anyone heard or applied for the instructor rating scholarship?
I applied but as yet have heard nothing.
Anyone any idea how many applied or how many they are giving out?
Cheers

tomcs
25th Apr 2004, 11:36
Hi,

I applied and have heard nothing yet. The interviews if you get one will be on May 25th so keep the date free!

I heard from somewhere they give out 5...but i could be wrong.

Tom

radarcontrol
25th Apr 2004, 12:07
Got my rejection letter about a week ago. Told me they were "left in no doubt regarding my keeness to fly" but with "over 300 applications this year" the selection committee had regretfully decided not to offer me a Scholarship.

Nevermind, I'm doing it this summer, one way or another, I guess I'll just have to pay my way!

Good luck to the rest of you.

RC

Damo29
25th Apr 2004, 12:15
Yep same letter came through my door, again it was about a week ago.

You know what they say guy's, no news is good news, so keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck :)

JohnnyPharm
25th Apr 2004, 18:22
Have you tried the Air League? They do an NPPL scholarship. I got a bursary from them last year that covered 8 hours of flying.

mps12
25th Apr 2004, 23:20
I'm waiting too, not heard a thing since I sent in the application. I expect we'll here this week!

Got everything crossed!!!!

GOOD LUCK!:ok:

bazzaman96
25th Apr 2004, 23:27
I haven't heard anything back yet - I ended up having to hand deliver my application form on the very deadline as Royal "I can't deliver anything within ten years" Mail decided to lose my original application form.

Incidentally, I phoned Royal Mail up and said my letter had disappeared, and the kind lady informed me that "royal mail doesn't classify a first class letter as 'lost' until 14 days". 14 days to deliver a letter?!?!?!?!

Anyway, I thought they were writing to successful candidates in early May?

No news is good news I guess...fingers crossed!

Pin Head
26th Apr 2004, 13:34
The Norman Motlet SCholar winner from 1997 I am.

Get ur application in to join the club.

Good luck

radarcontrol
26th Apr 2004, 13:56
@JohnnyPharm

Unfortunately for me, GAPAN was my first and last stop in terms of financial assistance. I could apply for more scholarships I suppose (GAPAN invited me to apply again next year), but time is marching on and the odds of selection are never in your favor. If I want to make any progress towards my PPL/Instructor rating and beyond, I've concluded it will need to be done under my own steam.. and so be it. I suspect that paying your way teaches you to really appreciate what you have when you finally make the grade.

That said, I'm sure no one around here is dumb enough to turn down the opportunity of free flying if offered it :ok:

Cheers

RC

Another St Ivian
27th Apr 2004, 07:36
Last year they gave out 4 FI(R) Schol's and 6 PPL Schol's.

ASI

mps12
30th Apr 2004, 15:00
HI,

Has anyone heard any good news yet - Ive still not heard a peep!

Got everything crossed at the moment!:ok:

Biggles_WannaB
30th Apr 2004, 17:45
Hey All,

I see some of you have had replies already? That seems a bit strange as I thought they usually waited to give out the bad news until after they contacted all the successful applicants ?

Bad luck to those who didn’t make it this time - never give up hope guys! I also applied to ALET and was awarded a scholarship for 15 hours, so it can happen!

Fingers crossed for all those yet to hear. I’m still waiting for the call/letter so I guess it really could be a case of ‘no news is good news’! Lets hope anyway!

Let me know how you all get on!

BW

Van Der Hum
30th Apr 2004, 18:47
mps12,

Flying or Air Traffic?

bazzaman96
30th Apr 2004, 22:43
i received a letter today but haven't opened it yet...as I'm at university and it was delivered to home.

I've got my parents to send it to me as I'd sooner open it myself...so will let you know.

bazzaman96
1st May 2004, 00:47
Just received the letter...and wasn't selected for interview.

Even though the competition was fierce, I was still quite gutted not to get an interview. Looking at my application form I really cannot see what I was lacking to at least get offered an interview.

One cambridge degree, SIX old-style A-levels including Physics (AAAAAB) 11 GCSES, all at A*and A grades...I'm 21 years old and managing director of two very successful non-profit making companies (that I set up completely by myself!), president of the student union, ranked as one of the top eight public speakers of my age in Great Britain I've lived next to Gatwick all my life (an extension on my house would virtually qualify for an airside pass!) and have grown up around aviation, have experienced trial flights so that I know what I'm letting myself in for, I got the highest IPAS aptitude test score for the whole of March, full medical pass... At the risk of sounding more arrogant, in terms of academic success and aptitude tests, I can't see what else I could have done to satisfy the selection panel. My previous application to CTC was good enough to get me an interview (though they told me I couldn't undertake the assessments until I finish my degree)...CTC thought I was good enough for an interview. GAPAN didn't.

As I stated on my application form, I come from a low income background and there is no way that, at present, I can finance any sort of flying training.

All of this isn't me being arrogant - I am humble enough to accept that there are many hundreds more people better than I, who would make much better pilots. I'm just a bit disappointed that of 300 applicants I seemed to comply with exactly the requirements they put down on their application form and I believe my experience to date has been second to none for someone looking to get a ppl.

In a way it's of course pleasing - I am sure that those who were selected fully deserve the chance to go on and I wish them the best of luck! If the competition was so tough I feel reassured that the industry has such able and competent applicants entering it.

I guess it sums up this entire section of the website when I ask: what ARE airlines looking for?!?!?!?

The golden question indeed!

Oh well, better luck next year...

Another St Ivian
1st May 2004, 09:12
I seem to remember that last year out of ~300 applicants they held 18 interviews. It's a tough cut.
My opinion is that they give quite a weighting to what you do beyond the academics. If my application had rested solely on my academic achievements I would never of had a look in!

Good luck with next year.

mps12
1st May 2004, 14:38
Van Der Hum,

I am very fortunate to have got in Air Traffic (pending medical etc) and really really cant wait, however, the course doesnt start til sometime in 2005, hence time to do other aviation related things!!

I applied for a GAPAN PPL Scholarship, since I will have time off this summer and have always wanted to do my PPL, and like many other applicants, have never been able to afford it since Im at University! Judging by bazzaman 96's comments, Ive got no chance since he sounds well equipped if you like, but who knows, will have to wait and see!

mps

JetSetJim
3rd May 2004, 18:51
Just so you know, I received my rejection letter on Friday.

Bazzaman96 & MPS12 - I can totally relate to what you said. My application to CTC was also good enough for an interview, so I guess GAPAN are looking for something else?!

Chin up. Looks like we'll have to just move on and keep at it.

Has anyone at all out there made it for an interview?!

Good luck everyone... WE WILL make it eventually!

JSJ :ok:

glider12000
3rd May 2004, 21:08
do you know of any plans for the money in the PPRUNE fund?

how can we apply or was this the way we could get it?

Right Stuff
4th May 2004, 12:38
If you have all that talent, what on earth are you doing trying to become an airline pilot?

Biggles_WannaB
4th May 2004, 19:08
Did anyone else get the good news today? I'm booked in for the 25th! ;0)

BW

bazzaman96
4th May 2004, 19:51
well done biggles wannabe!

Good to see there is SOME good news!

Just wondered, maybe...if it's not too rude, whether you could maybe say what kind of experience you've had at all, in terms of previous flying experience, qualifications etc...?

If you don't want to, that's fine, but might be helpful for us wannabes to see what they're looking for!

1pudding1
6th May 2004, 13:07
I got the interview on 25th too :D Bazzaman, Ive got 8hrs experience, am 24, got 1st class Aero Eng Degree, and in final year of Aero Eng. PhD. Dont think that makes me too different from other people so not quite sure why I got an interview?

mrskytec
9th May 2004, 14:19
Hi Guys

My sympathies to those of you who haven't heard from GAPAN or have not been selected for interview.

I myself applied last year and got nothing back at all- i think that happens a lot from what i've gathered from your posts.

I did a lot in the last year which really bolstered up my application. Last eyar i was not so serious about beginning PPL tranining whereas this year i am ready and extremely anxious to be getting on. I have flown 5 lessons paid for by me so far.

I was lucky enough to be selected this year for interview on May 25th. I would say to the rest if you haven't heard anything by now, you probably won't at all.

I do wish you all the very best of luck with sponsorship and your training, and never give up! Grab any opportunity with both hands!

oh a bit more about me...

flying experiance with cadet gliding scholarship and hours of flight sim plus AEF flights. Started my PPL and starting circuit training.

Currently studying air transport management at Loughborough University, and i am a part time officer in the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

If you want to get in touch feel free over msn: [email protected]

:ok:

1pudding1
27th May 2004, 11:40
Well had the interview on Tuesday, was quite a pleasant interview, and a very simple 10 question test. Just got the call that I've got one of the scholarships. To say Im over the moon is an understatement! I cant wait till July to get cracking. :D

Alex Whittingham
9th Jun 2004, 10:21
GAPAN are offering a scholarship for the ATPL.
Details and application forms from GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/)
They are also offering two 'Jet Orientation Courses' but only for pilots who have done integrated ATPL courses. Doesn't the integrated course include MCC anyway? What's the difference between MCC and JOC?

Rote 8
9th Jun 2004, 10:39
Alex

Seems a bit unfair that this opportunity should only be offered to those who have completed an integrated course but I suppose that is life.

I am no expert on integrated courses and others will know more but I don’t think that an MCC course is part of a standard integrated course of training, although it may be included as part of 'integrated with extras' course such as the Oxford APP programme.

I am also no expert on MCC/JOC courses but I gather that the MCC stresses the CRM/Multi Crew aspects and the JOC is just a few extra hours to give you a bit of a heads up for a first sim ride. Bear in mind of course that many who have an MCC will not have done the course in a jet type sim.

Number Cruncher
9th Jun 2004, 11:15
Very interesting that they only offer to Integrated people.

This organisation is apparently the place where you find out whether you're cutout to make it as a pro pilot or not. I didn't bother with them as i'm quite aware of my abilities thanks very much. Do they know something about the advantages of integrated over modular that we all continue to speculate?

Baffled....

StudentInDebt
16th Jul 2004, 14:43
Apologies if details of this have been posted before but I've just come across an ad for this scheme in The Log (BALPA members magazine)

You can find out more at www.gapan.org or

Mark enquiry "Somers Scholarship"
The Scholarships Secretary
Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators
Cobham House
9 Warwick Court
Grays Inn
London WC1R 5DJ

You have until July 30th to apply and selection begins in September. Requirements are
18-24 years old (on 30th July 2004)
Hold valid PPL and JAA Class 1
5 GCSEs in "relevant" subjects (they suggest English Maths Science) and 2 A Level passes or equivilant
Evidence of strong motivation towards an aviation career.

I expect there will be only one successful applicant but stilll sounds like a good opportunity.

Zulu Tango
17th Aug 2004, 18:39
Hey Budding Pilots

I currently hold a JAA PPL, Night rating and IMC. I am 19 years old and have recently been shortlisted to attend the Morrisby Psychometric tests held at City University, London on the 9th of September this year.

The sponsorship is for a fully funded frozen ATPL. I would be greatful if anybody with any knoledge (expertise) of GAPAN or Morrisby Psychometric tests could post any information as all will be divulged.

Many thanks

Rob

IRRenewal
17th Aug 2004, 20:16
Try a search on google on 'morriby test', or have a look here (http://www.morrisby.com)

habcer
18th Aug 2004, 17:19
I have done them with Gapan before.

You need to know nothing. You can´t prepare and you don´t need to. Just get a good nights sleep and go in with a blank mind.

It tests your personality in a clever way and theres nothing you can do about it.

Thats all I can say!

nottelling
23rd Aug 2004, 14:55
Hi all
I know I have recieved my invitation to the Morsiby tests, Just wondering if anyone knows how many people have made the shortlist? and whether or not all the people who made the shortlist get interviewed or are some people lost on the outcome of the Morrisby tests?
Best of luck on the 9th sept to all those who have made it this far

NT:ok:

Ebee
23rd Aug 2004, 15:09
Hi

12/13 people through to Morrisby test stage with 4/5 people going through to final round.
Best of luck on 9th, see u there!

G-SEXY
10th Sep 2004, 09:26
So, how did everyone get on with the tests?!

Captain Ratpup
12th Sep 2004, 12:25
I was there doing the Morrisby tests and they were hell! If anyone was there too, I was the guy sat at the back accidentally dropping bits of smoked salmon on the floor in front of the ex-airline sweats.

Some of the tests seemed quite bizarre. The worst that springs to mind involved having to draw straight lines between dots with your wrong hand and timing how many squiggles you could draw in 15 seconds. I think the tests are designed to make you feel like an idiot even if you did quite well. Although, that said, I haven't got my results yet.

Of the 13 who sat the Morrisby test, only 4 or 5 will go through to Cranwell for the aptitude test. But those few who don't get the scholarship will apparently be offered some favourable deal with FTE Jerez.

To the guys who were there, I know we're directly competing against each other and of course I want that scholarship badly, but I really hope things work out for everyone.

Captain Ratpup

Ebee
12th Sep 2004, 17:08
Would have to agree with you on that Captain Ratpup, I found the tests very demanding too and particularly the two you mentioned. Hats off to the chaps who do make it through, based on my shoddy performance I would be VERY VERY surprised if I got called to Cranwell. I think it was a good experience anyhow and the feedback should make interesting reading.

Good Luck to you all

P.S. In 30 seconds name as many ball shaped metal objects as possible. What the hell was that all about?!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Ratpup
12th Sep 2004, 17:36
I know! And how about 'make a list of things that are white and that you can eat'?

I started that one off with 'milk, sugar, salt, mayo'. Real staple foods. I think my list ended at that point.

On the test where you had to add two letters to make a four letter word, one of my answers was 'turd'. Not too sure if they'll allow that one.

Seriously, though, we have no way of knowing how it went. I was mainly cheesed off with the way the old guys kept saying that if you didn't get the scholarship and then chose modular training, then you'd never ever get a job. I can't really afford lining Oxford or Jerez's pockets with £50k to do an integrated course so it wasn't music to my ears.

All the best,

Ratpup

type1
12th Sep 2004, 21:29
Anyone heard yet? Do they notify us by phone or letter?

type1
16th Sep 2004, 08:32
Anyone heard yet?

(Posted again to push it to the top....)

Captain Ratpup
16th Sep 2004, 11:16
Nope. They do this to let us dangle for a while.

What are everyone's plans if they don't go through? Starting self-sponsored courses anyway?

G-SEXY
16th Sep 2004, 14:04
I know last year it took a week or two, they take a while to analyse the test results.

Captain Ratpup
17th Sep 2004, 14:12
I got my letter today. I'm going to Cranwell! Chuffed to pieces...

How did everyone else get on?

Ratpup

G-SEXY
17th Sep 2004, 20:39
Got my letter today too!

Looks like I will be joining you Ratpup!!!!

Can't tell you how pleased I am!!!

R T Jones
17th Sep 2004, 20:46
sorry to be a newbie with this but what exactly are these things? like a sponsorship thing?

Captain Ratpup
18th Sep 2004, 18:55
GAPAN's J N Somers scholarship. One awarded each year to pay for all the ATPL training.

http://www.gapan.org/career/scholarships/schols04.htm

R T Jones
18th Sep 2004, 20:09
ah right so i got a better chance with ctc then. :)

nottelling
19th Sep 2004, 15:07
Well I am pleased to say I will be joining both Ratpup and ebee at Cranwell

Captain Ratpup
22nd Sep 2004, 09:07
Anyone else on the forum going up to Cranwell on the 7th? It'd be nice to put faces to names.

Ratpup

nottelling
8th Oct 2004, 09:16
Some go on then Who got the award?
I know it wasnt me I will be back in a few years
Good luck to who ever it was

Captain Ratpup
8th Oct 2004, 11:00
Well, I'm in your league nottelling. The interview went appallingly. Think I'd be safer on milkfloats.

Which one were you nottelling? The gliding instructor, the guy with the white socks or the other guy?

Ratpup

Captain Ratpup
11th Oct 2004, 22:26
G-SEXY and ebee, who were you, you ghosts of the night? How did it go for you?

BEagle
8th Feb 2005, 17:50
Several PPL scholarships and a few FI(R) scholarships are usually available and advertised in January each year. Other awards may become available from time to time. Applications are required for the Guild's flying awards by mid April annually.

Training is normally to be completed during the summer months. Award winners are invited to attend the Guild's Trophies and Awards Banquet, which is held in the Guildhall each October.

The J.N.Somers scholarship, a full frozen ATPL course at a CAA approved school is awarded each year. Application forms available via the Guild's website or by sending a stamped self addressed envelope to the Guild offices from April onwards, closing date August, with training to commence early the following year.

The Guild scholarships provide a unique opportunity for people who would like to become pilots or to further their qualifications as pilots.

For full details, see http://www.gapan.org/career/scholarships/schols05.htm

Timeout
14th Feb 2005, 09:01
I was one of the scholarship winners last year, and I can highly recommend applying for the awards. A very professional body, full of great people.

All the best to those who apply.

Timeout

griffuk
18th Feb 2005, 09:50
Dont know if anyone can help but has anyone been successful with the FI Scholarship from GAPAN? Can you give any details or hints on selection and what they expect from you before?

Also do you have to complete a suitability for FI check ride with an approved instructor before applying or is that something they do for you if applying for the scholarship?

Thanks for your help!!

Mr Magoo
19th Feb 2005, 20:46
Griff, I was awarded a GAPAN FI(R) scholarship a few years ago.

I'd advise that you need to be interested in instructing as a reasonably long term goal and NOT as a means of hour building towards an airline job. I was 39 when I applied, had a frozen ATPL and was looking at airline flying but made clear in the interview that, if I was offered a scholarship, would put 100% effort into my teaching.

I'm now IR instructing and the scholarship has taken me from a fairly raw 450 hour fATPL to a 1300 hour IR instructor who's learned a hell of a lot in two and a half years.

My tips are to:

Look at yourself honestly and decide if you deserve the gift, (ie DON'T apply for the scholarship if you're going to abuse it by hour building with no regard to providing a service to your students)

Be honest in the interview - I said that my ultimate aim was to fly for the airlines but stressed that, while instructing, I'd give 100% to the job.

You'll be asked for a 10 minute presentation - make it interesting and, if the three people on the interview panel learn something from it, you're almost home and dry. TIP - avoid trying to teach them any flying related topic, they're bound to know more than you and will dig and dig 'till you're hung out like a kipper!

To sum up if you're offered a scholarship realise what a gift you've been given and don't squander it. Good luck to all who apply.

(ps it's a HELL of a feeling when you meet people in the airfield bar that you've taught to fly and are going on to either enjoy the PPL or have just passed an IR - makes me come over all proud like!)

Magoo :8

danielwong216
20th Feb 2005, 15:30
This is a very good chance! Can i apply both the sponsership for PPL and ATPL?

ftd83
24th Feb 2005, 09:55
The J.N.Somers scholarship, a full frozen ATPL course at a CAA approved school is awarded each year

Out of interest, which school is it?

Shed Rule :ok:

Benashy7
3rd Mar 2005, 09:19
Hi,

Anyone got any advice / news / opinions regarding the GAPAN fATPL program ??

Anyone got new of any other scholarship programs??

Benashy7
3rd Mar 2005, 09:20
Anyone know what the ATPL selection is like?

jimbols6
7th Mar 2005, 16:42
does anybody know which flying schools are GAPAN approved?

ATP_Al
8th Mar 2005, 10:57
As far as I know, GAPAN puts out tenders to the four big integrated schools - CABAIR, Oxford, Jerez and West Michigan Uni. They then decide where the scholar goes.

Al

P.S. Has anyone else been awarded one of the FI scholarships, as I'll definately be applying. Any advice would be much appreciated!

obsidianUK
16th Mar 2005, 19:24
Not that it will stop me applying, but why does the requirments for the JOC specify that you have completed an integrated FATPL?

I dont want to start another mod-integ rant, it just seems a bit unfair.

obs.

Olof
21st Mar 2005, 18:05
Any restrictions regarding non-UK residents? I'm also interested in the JOC. What exactly is included? I can't find any more info than the PDF doc at their website...

vee-en-ee
25th Mar 2005, 23:12
It's not just the "Big Four" that Gapan awards scholarships to... they have used Flightpass at Exeter (www.flightpass.co.uk) the last 2 years I believe, as they have a high first time pass rate and a top standard.

high-flyer
26th Mar 2005, 05:40
Guys

Does the pre entry flight test need to be done before the application goes in?

thanks

BEagle
26th Mar 2005, 07:51
For those who have enquired about nationality requirements, the decision should really rest with the scholarship provider. Nevertheless, the matter is being referred to the Guild's Flying Awards Committee for their consideration.

danielwong216
10th Apr 2005, 16:40
Where can i find a list of GAPAN approved flying school? Is East Midland Flying Club an approved school?
Many Thanks!

danielwong216
10th Apr 2005, 23:22
And how many PPL they will take?
Thanks!

Quango
11th Apr 2005, 13:59
Hi all

ANy advice on how to go about getting the PPL scholarship?

Thanks

Q

BEagle
11th Apr 2005, 14:04
Quango - suggest you download http://www.gapan.org/career/scholarships/ppl2005.pdf , fill it in and send it by post to the Guild before 15 Apr 05.

PhilM
15th Apr 2005, 07:52
BEagle, thanks for this post! If it hadn't of been here I'd not have applied (Not heard of GAPAN before now, only Air League/RAES). :ok:

BEagle
15th Apr 2005, 17:49
Thank you for your kind words - and good luck to all our scholarship applicants.

Another St Ivian
15th Apr 2005, 19:12
Quango; I was awarded, 'The Cranwell Scholarship', a couple of years back now. I seem to recall that those of us who applied posted a fair bit on here. Use the search feature to check through old posts on it.

In general, I can thoroughly recommend it. Definitely don't squander an opportunity to apply! One of the things that struck me was that it wasn't just the flying as such which this scholarship presents, but it gives you the opportunity to meet lots of very interesting people and really get a headstart on any aviation related ambitions you have.
The main things I remember thinking/doing at the time was to do your research (on GAPAN, the industry, Armed Forces, etc), really know why you wanted the scholarship and what you wanted to do long term, be honest and be yourself.

ASI

guybrush
18th Apr 2005, 21:13
I applied myself and I am still waiting for the reply. I just wanted to know if I have to dress formally for the interview and how long is it?

guybrush

G-SEXY
26th Apr 2005, 10:01
Foxsports,

I was in the same situation as you when I first applied - I put predicted grades on the application form and there didn't seem to be a problem!

Good luck :ok:

PhilM
29th Apr 2005, 18:41
Any applicants on here heard anything back?

Not had anything myself thus far (even a reciept of application - if they bother with such things), and interviews start mid-may, so those lucky enough to get that far should be hearing soonish I'd guess.:}

BEagle
29th Apr 2005, 19:42
The first sift of PPL Scholarship applicants has been carried out; the next stage of the selection process will be carried out shortly.

You should hear within the next 3 weeks whether you have been selected for interview .

high-flyer
30th Apr 2005, 14:30
Guys

Does anyone have any hints or tips for the interview stage of the FI(R) scholarship?

Any ideas about the presentation?

Thanks

high-flyer

what who me?
30th Apr 2005, 20:46
You could try and pretend that this is what you always wanted to do.

Try this, it sounds really convincing: "Flying a nice shiny jet being warm in winter and cool in summer is not what I ever wanted out of aviation. I'd rather fly a C150/PA28/PA38 with a crappy paint job and dodgy avionics. No sir, 8K pa is quite enough for me to survive on and repay my loan for my CPL/IR."

high-flyer
1st May 2005, 10:58
wwm

thanks for that constructive comment.

anyone have any slightly more useful information?

thanks

high-flyer

PhilM
6th May 2005, 20:25
Thanks mate, got a letter through, unfortunatly not the one I wanted! Such is life.....makes you wonder "who" they are looking for though ;)

Dave Martin
7th May 2005, 14:49
PhilM,
Not the only one there mate, so I'm joining you in your grief :)

Only saw this thread a few days before the closing date so I'm sure my application wasn't the sharpest anyway.

Good luck for next time round then!

iwalkedaway
12th May 2005, 17:52
A friend of mine applied for one of the GAPAN scholarships - came to feel he was messed about somewhat during the initial selection process and failed to be selected, not even getting into an aptitude test.

With encouragement not to give up he then prepared himself better, worked harder all round and re-applied for the following year's edition.

This time he got through the initial filtering, made it to the personal aptitude tests, and got through those as well.

He then sweated on the last 20-odd selection stage, and made it that far. He then sweated again on the final-five selection, for decisive tests at RAF Cranwell - and then a letter from GAPAN arrived and he was into that select group.

He applied himself even harder, prepared carefully, picked up as many pointers and as much experience from previous candidates as he could find and accumulate - incidentally finding them very encouraging and very helpful - and eventually off he went, screwed-up tight, to Cranwell...

A few weeks later - after more sweat waiting - a letter from GAPAN arrived.

He'd won it. And he's now qualified thanks to them, plus his own efforts, with ATPL, CPL etc etc etc...

GAPAN applicants have little to lose and potentially their life's ambition to gain. So why not just Go For It (but have no illusions about it being easy).

threepwood
14th May 2005, 20:17
but have no illusions about it being easy

If you passed "securing the money" part the rest is easy! Not even my parents are willing to pay the money :{ and I didn't get the letter I wanted from GAPAN:{ :{. Oh well, I just have to contiue looking I guess.

threepwood

bazilbutler
4th Jun 2005, 20:32
Im guessing you need straight A's for the Somers award yes?

FlayinSpanner
13th Aug 2005, 19:00
Hello all.

I got my letter in this morning for making the 2005 short list and I nearly dropped a full payload. I hadn't realsied they would make such a small list based on the application form alone. It seems there will be 16 of us on the day.

I have no idea how to approach these tests. If anyone has sat them before (I know people say you can't prep etc, but...) I am curious if there is a mix of pyschometric and reasoning (numbers/puzzles) to throw you off balance. If anyone can give a sort of recount of their day, I know I and am sure others doing the tests would be grateful. Prior knowledge is always going to help remove the shock factor of bizarre questions!!! - Bladerunner, tell me about your mother!!!

Good luck to us all. As long as I win.

p.s. Yes I have spotted the other thread 2005 Scholarship but the posts are all for 2004 so dont abuse me for reposting!!!

nick14
13th Aug 2005, 20:01
Hello there,
I wqas also shortlisted. I haden't realised that there is only 16 of us on the shortlist!:ok:

Im unsure of the tests but im just going to be myself and Knock their socks off!:cool:

I would expect that we are going to be grilled by two RAF pilot assesors and a couple from the air league!!

Best of luck and see you there!!

Buckle up
Nick:ok:

Just realise i got selected for the air league sorry!!:oh:

jhorton
31st Aug 2005, 11:07
Hi there,

I was also very surprised to find that I'm through to the last 16 (I was also surprised to read that they only had 80 applications!!!). Unfortunately I don't know the answer but would also like to know what we can expect in London, and if anyone has heard where they will be sending whoever is awarded it this year?

See you there next week.

J

jhorton
31st Aug 2005, 14:48
Hi zulu tango,
I'm also heading in to London on the 9th. From what I've heard I wouldn't worry about the tests too much (....in terms of preparing for them, not for what they could mean!)
Look forward to seeing you
J

llien14
1st Sep 2005, 09:42
hello all,

I'm also heading to London on 8th for the tests. Just wondered if anyone had heard anything back from GAPAN after they sent the money away for the tests??
Thanks
See you there

llien

jhorton
1st Sep 2005, 09:49
oops... just seen the posted date on ZT's post. Llien, I'll see you in London on the 8th!! I haven't heard anything from GAPAN since sending the money either.

llien14
1st Sep 2005, 15:32
ok thanks jhorton

see you then

Flying Lawyer
16th Mar 2006, 11:36
You probably all know this already but, just in case -

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators is again offering scholarships to assist people who would like to become pilots or to further their qualifications as pilots

 FI(R) scholarships – fixed-wing & rotary
Closing date for applications: 6 April 2006
Training during the summer of 2006.

 J.N.Somers ATPL Scholarship
This is for a full frozen ATPL course at a CAA approved school.
Closing date for applications: 16 June 2006.
Training will commence early in 2007.

 2 Jet Orientation Course Scholarships
Closing date for applications: 28 July 2006.

The Scholarships cover the cost of direct training and examinations.
Costs of obtaining Medical Certificates, and any associated travel, subsistence, and accommodation expenses are the responsibility of the Scholarship winners.

Full details (and downloadable application forms) are available here – www.gapan.org (http://www.gapan.org)

Look in the ‘Career & Scholarships’ section.

Good luck. :ok:

nano kiero
25th Mar 2006, 20:27
thanks,,, real helpful topic!

captwannabe
5th Apr 2006, 17:30
J.N. Somers ATPL Scholarship

In Ireland, the results of the Leaving Cert (equivalent of A levels) are not available until August. Must you have completed all exams and have the results before the closing date for the application?

I know that GAPAN have a policy of fairness and equality of opportunity, but has anybody not from England, Scotland or Wales ever received this scholarship? Any Irish perhaps?

sicky
5th Apr 2006, 23:00
I would have thought that they'd prefer you to have the results, and it's unlikely they'd give it to somebody without the results. However, if you don't try, you don't get anywhere! I'll be applying for this, the only thing frustrating me is that they want evidence that you are progressing to a PPL, and i'm in the process of saving for my PPL. It's hard to show evidence of that!!

captwannabe
6th Apr 2006, 16:39
Good luck! I've another year to wait :ok:

sicky
6th Apr 2006, 16:46
Thanks, havn't applied yet but i definately hope to :)

Tui Hat Wearing Son
20th Apr 2006, 16:30
female,

apply for the JN sommers ATPL!

I didn't get past the application stage last year, but the rejection letter said "we've had over 80 applications"

80! only 80! Blimey my chances were better than I thought.

pushapproved
20th Apr 2006, 16:33
Skyrocket10 - I have yet to hear from GAPAN but I know they have my application! Good luck with it!:ok:

Dicky Birded
20th Apr 2006, 19:25
Just curious as to whether anyone else has heard back from Gapan re the FI(R) scholarships?
Cheers
I contacted GAPAN yesterday, having applied for the PPL scholarship.
They told me the decision makers would be meeting on the 26th of April and letters should be sent out around the first week in May.
I assume this is the same for the FI(R) scholarships, as they had the same deadline as the PPL.
DB.

JamesTigris
20th Apr 2006, 20:15
My understanding is that to apply for the ATPL scholarship one needs to already posess a class 1 medical certificate. I know this is for very practical reasons but at around £400 this seems to make the scholarship unaccessable to the very people its trying hardest to help. I.e. people without the bank balence to fund training.
I'm a uniersity student and I've felt the hole in my bank balence from the CTC Wings fee let alone shelling out to the CAA as well. I've wanted to apply to the scholarship for a couple of years now (graduating this year so finally available for training!) but at this point in time £400 is going to be hard to come by.
I'm committed to a career in aviation so I'll find the money somehow, but at that price its not massivly surprising that alot more people don't apply. All that money for a very long shot at flight training is not that brilliant sense for supposedly economically aware captains of the future.
(I'm playing Devil's Advocate here a bit but the point seems a fair one...)

captwannabe
20th Apr 2006, 20:23
It's a very small fee compared to the cost of training! If you don't have the medical, how can you be 100% sure that you are fit to fly? If you are going to train to be a pilot, you'll have to get the medical done anyway!

Martin1234
20th Apr 2006, 20:35
How many applicants do GAPAN normally have for every PPL scholarship available?

sicky
21st Apr 2006, 00:07
It's a very small fee compared to the cost of training! If you don't have the medical, how can you be 100% sure that you are fit to fly? If you are going to train to be a pilot, you'll have to get the medical done anyway!

Exactly! my medical is a week on Wednesday, and all going well i'll send my GAPAN application form off that week :)

Martin1234
26th Apr 2006, 19:41
Got a mail from Gapan today;

"The selection Panel enjoyed reading your application(...). (...) to wish you every success in fulfilling your ambition to become a pilot."

I assume that Gapan doesn't count helo pilots as pilots... :}

I understand that the competition is fierce but is it worth the stamp to reapply if you're not from the UK or live there?

JamesTigris
2nd May 2006, 18:22
I've recently got the "Sorry but you've not been successful this time" letter from GAPAN regarding the PPL scholarship. I was told I was good enough to get down to the last 60 but was obviously at the bottom of that pile.

I was fully planning on applying for the ATPL scholarship as well but have been struggling to find the £300 needed to get a class one medical. Does anyone know if the selection criteria are dramatically different for the ATPL vs the PPL scholarships? If I've not been close enough to get the PPL scholarship (of which I understand there are several) then does that make it extreemly unlikely that I'd get to far competing for just one, more prestigious, award?

I know £300 is a small fraction of £65,000 and for that reason its worth a go on its own but at the same time for someone who's on a tight budget just to keep the electricity on its alot of money to just throw away if there is no realistic chance of sucess. I'd certainly need to get a class one eventually as I will undoubtedly take up professional flying in the future but the timing is not great at this precise time in life (final year Uni student!).

If anyone has any idea of the selection criteria for either/both scholarships I'd appreciate it.

-JT

mcgoo
2nd May 2006, 18:32
like you have already stated if you wish to fly commercially you will need a class 1 medical so it won't be a waste of money and you will find out if you can be a commercial pilot! the renewals are about £100.

Lord Flash-Hart
16th Jun 2006, 09:53
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone is waiting to hear from GAPAN about the Somers Scholarship?

Rich.

sicky
16th Jun 2006, 10:26
I am, but then again they'll only be getting my application today :uhoh:

Wazzoo
16th Jun 2006, 23:49
Ditto...I hope they got mine. I posted it first class recorded on Wednesday, so should have got to them by today (Friday) but the Royal mail site is not confirming that its delivered :s

I'm told that happens quite often with registered mail..if no ones in they won't bother getting a signature and just push it through the door kinda thing.

Ohwell...just have to wait and see if they get in touch!

sicky
17th Jun 2006, 12:25
I sent mine guaranteed by Friday and it says it's delivered, so i'm happy about that. I think they send confirmation emails eventually.

sam82
17th Jun 2006, 16:16
I have sent my GAPAN application on thursday and called them to get confirmed whether they have recieved it or not. The lady at the otherend said she have recieved it.

By the way guyz, has any one added extra sheets to GAPAN application form for JN somers..Let me know

Sam

sicky
17th Jun 2006, 17:29
I didn't add any extra sheets, i thought they made it clear not to add anything except for the application form, the envelope and the photocopy. However, i'm sure if it's to fit on all your academics or employment history, or something along those lines, it would be acceptable.

Cirrus_Clouds
17th Jun 2006, 18:30
I sent my application off on Wednesday, hopefully they've received it.My application was a tad late due to just obtaining my Class 1 and previously a GAPAN test at Cranwell on the 8th.I was in the frame of mind that if I don't get this sponsorship, at least I've got my Aptitude test complete with GAPAN.Your application will be "disregarded" if you include other documentation.Good luck all, fingers crossed!

Lord Flash-Hart
19th Jun 2006, 10:16
I sent mine off weeks ago but didn't attach anything extra as it stated it will be disregarded, although I imagine that if the extra sheets are to include the required info then there won't be a problem.

Does anyone know if the candidate gets any preference about where the training is done? or does GAPAN choose the FTO for you? i know it has to be a CAA approved FTO but obviously they are all over the world.

What flying experience do people have?

Rich.

Tiger_ Moth
19th Jun 2006, 11:38
I sent mine off in good time but had to include an extra sheet for the addresses of my numerous employers, there was no where near enough space on the sheet provided.
I'm sure they won't mind.

sicky
19th Jun 2006, 14:45
With regards to choosing the school, from what i gather, GAPAN choose it. However, at the FTE seminar yesterday, i notice they listed GAPAN on one of their lists of people they have catered for (but not who they have a contract with!)...kind of suggeted to me that GAPAN sent their student there last year.

sam82
19th Jun 2006, 17:35
Hi Guyz..

Has anyone heard anything from GAPAN.if not, how long does it take to know that you have been successfull to morrisby test.

Good luck all and feel free to discuss about the Morrisby test pattern, if any of you have already been thru.

cheers

sam

Cirrus_Clouds
19th Jun 2006, 18:20
Had confirmation that my application did arrive.FYI, I have a PPL (self funded over a few years) and around 90 hrs.

Lord Flash-Hart
20th Jun 2006, 07:34
There is a GAPAN student in Jerez at the moment and there is also one in New Zealand i believe.

Does anyone know anything about the Morrisby testing?

I have completed the RAF aptitude testing twice already so hopefully they will take my results from that.

Cheers.
Rich.

sicky
20th Jun 2006, 10:45
Heard nothing so far :bored:

sicky
20th Jun 2006, 10:47
Had confirmation that my application did arrive.FYI, I have a PPL (self funded over a few years) and around 90 hrs.

Was that via email or snail mail? Mine didn't arrive until the final day, so i'm not expecting confirmation just yet

abumaria
20th Jun 2006, 13:15
Can you please explain more so we can help you. What is it?

Cirrus_Clouds
20th Jun 2006, 17:45
"Was that via email or snail mail?"Neither, I telephoned them, best form of communication! hehe :D

sicky
20th Jun 2006, 18:28
Think i'll just do that aswell then :}

Lucifer
20th Jun 2006, 21:26
Considering it only closed on Friday and they are still sifting...
Sit tight my lad - learn patience

BEagle
21st Jun 2006, 05:00
The J.N. Somers Award will generously provide funding, through GAPAN, for a full time course of Air and Ground studies, leading to the award of a frozen JAA ATPL.
Training at a JAA approved training organisation will commence in Spring 2007.
The training organisation will be the most suitable available world-wide, selected by GAPAN.

READ THE MANUAL!!

Some folk on here need to take much more care with their standards of English if they are to stand much chance.

Lord Flash-Hart
21st Jun 2006, 12:55
As I said in an earlier post, my forms were sent in weeks ago. I was reading the GAPAN website which states...

"The Guild is again very proud to be able to offer the J.N.Somers scholarship for a full frozen ATPL course at a CAA approved school."

Thank you for pointing that out, I had forgotten what it said on the forms.

Not sure who the English comment was aimed at but I suspect most people on PPRUNE post for relevant help and advice, not comments on their English.

Rich.

sam82
26th Jun 2006, 15:49
Hi Guyz,..

Has any one heard from GAPAN for next stage morrisby test. I am kind of bit worried and it has been like 10 days since the deadline for ATPL scholarship.

Please do share about your invitation to Morrisby test and test pattern if any one have already been to Morrisby before.

Ta

Sa

Cirrus_Clouds
26th Jun 2006, 18:29
Nothing here yet, all silent.

Maybe they are still processing the applications, only once that is done can they move onto the next stage?

Cirrus_Clouds
28th Jun 2006, 17:58
Well I got my reply today, didn't get through sadly. :{ ..god it does make you feel down, but I knew it was very unlikely.

They have had over 100 applications.

I think it's just a case of keep plugging away at flying and it will pay off eventually, hopefully not literally!

Good luck to the rest of you............. :cool:

sicky
28th Jun 2006, 21:13
Ditto, been feeling a bit sorry for myself all day but at the end of the day, it's one place, and i knew i'd likely be filtered out with not the greatest a levels and no degree, especially when i read they looked at academic quals

Thatsd a knockback there and one from the maps scheme, hope this isn't somebody from above dropping hints :{

Nice bit of shopping this afternoon and i feel fine now anyways haha:}

Jas1
2nd Jul 2006, 16:33
Hey guys sorry to hear that you didnt get through but dont give up if you want it enough you will get there keep plugging away.:ok:

Did anyone on here make it to the next stage?

Wazzoo
2nd Jul 2006, 20:26
I made it through to the next stage, got the Morrisby tests on the 13th.

Sorry for those who didn't make it, seems like they made quite a cut..over a hundred applied and its only 16 going through. Seems the Morrisby tests are a bit hit or miss, not much you can do to prepare for them, short of a clear mind and a good nights sleep, and it just depends on the profile that it comes out with for you.

From previous years it seems only four or five go on to the stage after that..yikes! So yeah, I'm fully prepared that I probably won't make it through beyond the Morrisby tests. Just got to do the best I can and take it as it comes.

Kat Abatic
28th Jul 2006, 09:24
Hi,
Recently went to the Morrisby testing for the Somers Scholarship and got my letter/results yesterday to say I had not got through to the next round.
Anyone manage to get through? Just wondering what kind of results you got on Morrisby.
Cheers:)

Wazzoo
28th Jul 2006, 11:33
Hi Kat, same here. Got the results yesterday (actually, haven't seen them as I'm away at the moment, back rang home to find out). Will read through the Morrisby report when I get home at the weekend, quite interested to see what they have to say about me ;)

What did their letter say? I was just wondering to what exptent they just said the same thing to everyone.

Mine said along the lines of..very high standard and a lot of competition this year etc and the selection panel felt that in previous years you would have been able to make the cut but that the competition this year was just too tight. But that said, you are still excellent pilot material and they would like to recommend you to FTE. Please return this form if you want that.

Is that what everyone got basically and you all 'just' missed out? Is it just a bit of back scratching towards FTE or did you really only just miss out and they are trying to help you out as a result?

Interested to hear what others got told! Gutted that I didn't get through, but was always a possiblity I had to keep in mind. Doesn't lessen the blow though.

I think the fact that there was so little you can do with the psychometic tests, theres little you can do to really push your chances up, you've just gotta be yourself. Which feels kinda helpless and frustrating...not like an interview say where you can really put an effort into how you come across and how you answer the questions and you have more control over the outcome.

Anyway, onwards and upwards...not to lose heart! Its just one set back, onto the other options now. Gonna get there one way or another :)

Groundloop
28th Jul 2006, 12:15
Is it just a bit of back scratching towards FTE ...?

GAPAN do not work like that!

Wazzoo
28th Jul 2006, 12:51
GAPAN do not work like that!

I hope they don't, I sincerely do.

However in exploring different flying schools and reading up about various arlines I've come to realise that the airline industry is cut-throat and a lot of people won't hesitate to sell you their grandmother if it meant you signing on the dotted line! So the cynical more sceptical side of me always says read between the lines and try and see it from all angles.

So yeah, I think the work that GAPAN do is great and I commend them greatly for running this scholarship (and wish there were more places! ;)) and others. But forgive me if I just want to make sure everything is above board and no disrespect is meant towards GAPAN in doing that :)

PPRuNe Pop
28th Jul 2006, 13:17
GAPAN do a fine job and are worthy of praise for what they do to promote those who are really ready for their scholarships. But.....it is tough. No doubt about that.

The PPRuNe fund donated £3000 to the PPL scholarship last year and we have done the same this year.

You just have to be good!

PPP