PDA

View Full Version : On the early flight from LHR

Pax Vobiscum
8th Feb 2005, 12:03
My client has booked me on BA936 at 07:30 11/02/05. I usually try and avoid these cock-crow trips, so can anyone suggest what time I need to get to the airport? I know BA recommend 2 hours before departure, but can I get away with turning up at 06:30?

I'm in cattle class, hand baggage only and plan to use the electronic check-in from home. Any help from bealine or regular travellers at ungodly hours would be much appreciated.

PV

bealine
8th Feb 2005, 13:15
If you use OLCI (On-Line-Check-In), and you only have cabin baggage, then you can arrive at the airport at your convenience (as long as you allow enough time to reach the gate by Departure Time minus fifteen minutes - 07.15)

To me, 06.30 would be good timing and, if the self service machine/ assistance desks and security queues aren't too dramatic, might even give you time for a cup of something before boarding!

Welcome to the times of day us lot in the aviation industry didn't know existed prior to embarking on our careers!!!

redfred
8th Feb 2005, 13:28
aslong as you arrive at the checkin desk 45 mins before departure you will be fine if you have not checked in online.

manintheback
8th Feb 2005, 14:30
Be careful. Security lines at that time in the morning can be horrendous. If its T1 you are going through rush hour queues for non fast track can take 30 mins or more

Pax Vobiscum
8th Feb 2005, 14:56
Thanks very much for all your helpful replies (yes, Dusseldorf is T1) - another winner from PPRuNe. I'll probably aim for 06:00 at the long-term car park.

If I miss my flight, I'll let you all know :O

bealine
10th Feb 2005, 18:54
I take it, PV, you made the flight then???

Pax Vobiscum
12th Feb 2005, 21:37
Yes thanks bealine. I got to Purple Parking at 06:00 and was in the terminal by 06:25. The queues for security were about 10 minutes, but were probably getting worse behind me (thanks manintheback).

The only incident was that the Cologne flight had gone tech, but luckily there was room for both sets of pax on our flight (the Cologne pax transferring onwards by bus) - so we went from about 40% loading to 100%. As a result we were about 50 mins late taking off (partly waiting for extra catering) - 20 minutes late arriving (no problem for me).

Kudos to the CSD for a superior set of announcements (IMHO) including "the best piece of safety advice you will ever get - count the rows to the nearest exit". The all-day deli was OK, definitely better than a Kaesebrotchen, though that's not saying much.

My interview went well, so I expect I'll be to and fro quite a bit over the next few months. The client asked if I'd consider flying from Stansted (Air Berlin) to save them a few bob, I gave a polite but firm "no"! Anyway, future flights are likely to be mid-day rather than cock-crow, which ought to be considerably cheaper.

PS Nice to fly on a 757 again (even if they are showing their age a tad), I don't expect I'll be getting too many more chances in BA colours.