PDA

View Full Version : Search & Rescue Statistics 2004

Razor61
8th Feb 2005, 10:01
From the MoD Annual Report:-

In 2004, there were 1,551 UK or overseas incidents resulting in 1,698 callouts of Royal Navy and RAF Helicopters, Nimrod aircraft and Mountain Rescue Teams, who moved 1,442 people.

Incidents and callouts fell slightly compared with 2003; however the number of people moved increased by almost ten per cent, largely due to three major incidents in August.

On 7 August 2004, 2 Military Helicopters moved 35 cockle pickers to safety from rising tides in Morecambe Bay.

On 16 August 2004, 6 Sea King helicopters moved 91 people to safety from floods in Boscastle on the north coast of Cornwall.

On 18 August 2004, a Royal Navy and a RAF Sea King helicopter moved 53 people after landslides near Lochearnhead in Scotland.

96% of callouts in 2004 were in or around the UK. The others were in or around Cyprus or the Falkland Islands.

94% of UK callouts in 2004 were to civilian incidents.

60% of UK callouts in 2004 were to Scotland, the South West region or Wales. A further 16% of callouts were at sea.

Time Flies
8th Feb 2005, 10:18
These stats just go to show what a fantastic job our SAR boys and girls are doing.

A truly professional team.

Keep it up!!!!

:ok:

Twinact
8th Feb 2005, 11:22
And...................................

Weren't they just doing what they are paid to to do from their comfy UK bases.

Can we expect to see similar stats from those deployed doing a 'fantastic job' in far flung places.

Before I receive a tirade of abuse, I admire the SAR boys of both services for the job they do, but what do these stats prove? What is an incident? Sure there were a couple of high-profile events, but the amount of coverage afforded (RAF News, etc) is often disproportionate.

Standby for incoming.

burpblade
8th Feb 2005, 11:28
Thinking of getting a new pair of slippers. SAR Gods have any tips?

Canary Boy
8th Feb 2005, 11:38
'Weren't they just doing what they are paid to to do from their comfy UK bases.'

They can't take their comfy bases with them on a shout.

Can't think of anything else sensible to say until I simmer down!

Taff Missed
8th Feb 2005, 12:03
Do those stats also include the people on the 4 civilian SAR bases that do the same job with equal enthusiasm, dedication and skill??

Taff

Razor61
8th Feb 2005, 12:22
As far i am aware it is only statistics for the RAF and RN, not HMCG unfortunately.
I should imagine the HMCG website might publish their own information regarding 'lives saved' and how many call outs they have had etc.

Razor61
8th Feb 2005, 12:33
At what cost the (stretched) MoD Budget? Its not a deployable military capability - sell it!

Haven't we had that discussion before on a different thread?
:hmm:

hyd3failure
8th Feb 2005, 13:33
'Weren't they just doing what they are paid to to do from their comfy UK bases

You tw4t - That figure probably includes the 4 guys from HMS Portland who were killed whilst conducting Search and Rescue operations last year.

Rather than criticise our SAR forces we should congratulate them for the sterling effort they do in all weathers and without hesitation for the safety of themselves.

Maybe just one day you may need these guys.

FJJP
8th Feb 2005, 16:19
Is Twinact perhaps envious of those that gain so much excellent publicity, never mind at risk to themselves at times?

Maybe the Chinook could take on SAR standby duties 24/7 - then maybe he wouldn't be so quick to make pratt and unnecessary comment on a thread there to congratulate those crews on the fine work do daily...

Maple 01
8th Feb 2005, 22:49
No Twinact,

They Weren't just doing what they are paid to to do from their comfy UK bases

it's not the SAR force's primary job to save the civies - main job is downed aircrew

Thud_and_Blunder
9th Feb 2005, 06:34
Certainly not criticising the SAR boys, but ref:
Maybe the Chinook could take on SAR standby duties 24/7
I see from my logbook for almost exactly 11 years ago to the day that I went with the rest of our standby Chinook crew on a SAR task from Odiham to 260 nm SW of Cork - MV Christaniki or something like that. We were also used to back up the SAR boys in the FI from time to time.

Sadly, the Cork task was the last time I ever flew with Jon Tapper - greatly missed.

The Swinging Monkey
9th Feb 2005, 07:07
Twinact,

May I be so bold and tell you that during my time, I served on a SAR unit (202 at Lossie) as well as a couple of Nimrod sqns prior to that and I finished my RAF flying last year on E-3's. So without wishing to sound too smug, I do have just a little bit of experience of both sides of this fence.

Firstly I should tell you that you are talking utter boŁŁocks Sir.

'Weren't just doing what they are paid to to do from their comfy UK bases'

Well, yes, to a point I suppose your'e correct. But there is nothing comfy about being woken at 2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning for SAROPS. I'm not moaning about it. It was the best job I ever did in the RAF, and I wish I could go back to it! But its not particularly 'comfy' is it?

and 'Can we expect to see similar stats from those deployed doing a 'fantastic job' in far flung places' well, I very much hope that we will. There is nobody I know who would question the contribition the Chinook world makes. Indeed, as a fellow Helo operator, I have the utmost respect for them all.

But please don't get shiŁŁy with 'us' SAR boys because of the publicity we are given. It is simply a fact of life that when the world sees a big yellow egg whisk (or grey and Red for the RN) it is usually good news, for some one at least.

And, if you crave such publicity then why not join the SAR fleet?
I'm sure you will love it. But 202 sqn at Lossie at 4 am on a very cold, snowy January morning is definately not 'comfy'

Kind regards to all
The swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, send Twinact a reality pill would you please old boy'

Droopystop
9th Feb 2005, 09:04
Twinact,

The reason for this disproportionate amount of publicity for the Yellow budgies is simply because they are extremely good at going out and getting it. I am sure that there are guys out it the great sand pit getting shot at flying possibly more dangerous sorties than the average SAROPS. Its just that they are not so good at (or cannot) getting huge amounts of publicity.

Having said that given the choice of Lossie at 3am or Basra? mmm let me think which would be more comfortable........ Maybe you have a point.

hyd3failure
9th Feb 2005, 09:42
I would like to just add my voice and concur fully with TSW. However, I Think the discussion ref publicity is very iffy ground. On other threads on this site there are people publically declaring their hate for journo's because they exposed a waste of public funds: Pizza delivery, Boys outing to Switzerland etc etc. Then on this thread we have guys discussing how importanmt Publicity is and how the guys in the sand are not getting the publicity they deserve.
What do people think about that? It appears that we only want good publicity and are not happy when the bad stuff comes along but as one chap said..."There is no such thing as bad publicity"

scroggs
9th Feb 2005, 09:50
SAR forces not deployable? They certainly used to be - there used to be a couple of grey RAF SAR Sea Kings in the Falklands. They may be still there, for all I know.

And well done to all SAR peeps - RAF, RN, UKCG, whatever their aicraft, and wherever they are - for the efforts they make to save lives. I, for one, am very grateful that they exist.

Shackman
9th Feb 2005, 11:30
As we all know, stats can be used to prove anything (or nothing) depending on the eye of the beholder.

However, as far as standby goes, most of the Armed Forces (and UKCG - and RNLI while we are about it) are on standby 24/7 for something or other, and when required respond in whatever way required.

Re SAROPSMaybe the Chinook could take on SAR standby duties 24/7

I've done SAR in SH aircraft (and Shacks of course) and SH tasks in SAR. Like T_and_B my crew and I also got over 11 hours strapped to a Chinook West of Cork - only this was 20 years ago - when called out on standby one Sunday. Odiham also generated 2 other non standby crews and aircraft (complete with winches that had not been used before) which were airborne on task within three hours from the initial call. (Air India)

InTgreen
9th Feb 2005, 12:35
Guys,

May I just point out that we are all on the same side here! It takes something (prob stupidity!) to fly into a known enemy threat, just as it does night mountain flying in blizzards and strong winds. I think we ought to go down the jast jet de-brief route with this.. ie. 'You were great mate!' ' Nah dude, you were better!':}

TurbineTooHot
9th Feb 2005, 12:43
Damn straight up Greeny dude!

Take a bow SAR buddies. Top job!

I only hope we meet again in the bar and not fishing me out of the drink like last time (night wet drills only but still chuffing cold dark and scary!).

Keep it up and may the Schwartz be with you (badly veiled Spaceballs ref.)

Turbine

Twin Rotor Fun
10th Feb 2005, 13:05
Twinact,
Couldn't disagree with your post more mate. Most of my reasons have already been covered by others but think this one through. What would you (or I) think if this thread was congratulating 1310flt or the rest of JHF(I) and a SARBOUY wrote a reply saying we were just doing our jobs from the comfort of a (badly) air conditioned tent?
I accept that your post wasn't meant to be ill mannered but with all that has happened lately it is nice to see some good press.

InTgreen
10th Feb 2005, 18:10
Turbine....

And 'twas a very dark and cold night!!!

You kept the cable straight like a champ!! :p

Flak Jacket
10th Feb 2005, 20:32
The Mighty Hunter is a SAR asset and highly deployable. Infact currently deployed overseas on SAR.