PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Cans

3top
7th Feb 2005, 17:17
Hi guys!

I know "Jerry Cans" is going to be an "explosive" thread......

Still I would like to know how you treat the issue.

In my place, I can use them as long as there are no pax on board, if it is "cargo" and then I have to deal with all the "Hazardous Mat" issues.

On the other hand "...if the fuel carried in the portable containers" is essential for the operation of the aircraft, then there is no restrictions (not even with pax)!!
I assume getting back from the middle of nowhere is "essential for the operation of the aircraft"!!

However travelling into neighboring countries becomes rather difficult if your legs are getting rather stretched, but local authorities insist in "certified portable fuel containers" (Nevermind that they are unable to point you to somewhere to get them....)

Does anyone of you know of any "Certified Jerry cans"?

Aviation or DOT or any meaningful certification?

I know ALL buyable cans have some kind of certification print-molded right into the cans, but I need something better than the 15.- bucks plastic available at Walmart!!

Any ideas?

Thanks for any directions!

3top

:cool:

John Eacott
7th Feb 2005, 20:41
3top,

We rely on the IATA Dangerous Goods Manual, which gives all relevant data on what can be carried, and also the relevant UN number needed on approved Jerry Cans.

The only approved cans that we have here in Oz are the black plastic ones with UN 3H1Y 1.2 180 stamped on the base. All the metal ones Made In China aren't approved.

Next time you're in Melbourne, they're available at the RACV for about $A35 ;)

vorticey
8th Feb 2005, 00:22
in australia anything more than 5lts is a dangerous goods and cant be carried (unless you carry dangerous good that is) at all, at least this is the way i read it, anyone know better?:confused:

John Eacott
8th Feb 2005, 01:28
UN/ID 1863, Fuel, Aviation, turbine engine. Class 3, PG III, packaging instruction Y309. Max quantity per package, passenger and cargo aircraft 60lt, cargo aircraft only, 220lt (Y310).

Packing, table 5.0.C:

Plastic drums and jerricans, removable head, specification code 3H2, or 3H1 for non removeable head: cross reference 6.2.6. This crossreference details extensively the requirements for plastic jerricans, also 6.2.5 has the specs for Steel or Aluminium Jerricans.

3top
9th Feb 2005, 20:41
Thanks John,

I have a copy of the IATA manual, will go right in there!

Melbourne hey, long way across a loooooot of water!

I will try to find some here or in the states!!

Thanks again!

3top:cool: