PDA

View Full Version : Allergies when CC

NordicJetSet
7th Feb 2005, 14:28
Hello you all,

Been a regular quest and finally registered. I was applying for a mid-large European national carrier for cabin crew. The reason that I was turned down, was that I have a food allergy (even though itīs very mild and almost symptomless). They said that there is too big risk that I would get some kind of attack during a flight (anything even close to that has never happened). I am very upset and angry :sad: about this situation and I would like to know if anyone has heard about similar situation elsewhere? Or if you know are there these kind of rules for other airlines and do I have chance to become cc for any airline?

Any reply will be appreciated...

Cart_tart
7th Feb 2005, 23:53
easy answer - don't tell them you have a food allergy!

XL ONE
8th Feb 2005, 11:49
I know of acouple of people flying as cabin crew with my airline who have food allergies. One quite severe. Guess each airline has different policies regarding this. Would be interested to know who turned you down?

NordicJetSet
8th Feb 2005, 13:40
Cart_tart: Of course I kinda hope that I wouldnīt have told them, because I didnīt realise before hand that it would be such a big problem. But on the way probably someone would have realised my allergy, and I would have got fired for lying in the application.

XL ONE: I know some cabin crew myself and work in the airline business and Iīve never heard about this kind of policy on any airline. The airline I applied for is Finnair. I think itīs a quite new policy for them. I spoke with one of their cabin crew just now and she told me that this rule is only for new applicants. If you are already working as cc, itīs not a problem!

I think that this whole situation is ridiculous bc someone who has never had any symptoms could have some kind of attack as likely as I would. Well, Iīll try to calm down and try positive thinking :D.

Meal Tray
8th Feb 2005, 14:26
Hi there

Sorry to hear that the airline knocked you back. It seems a bit strange that they have this kind of policy as they probably have staff that have allergies and don't realise it.
It depends on how bad your reaction to foods are, maybe they could just be intolerances and you could explain them as these. I speak from someone who has explained this on medical forms for airlines when applying and also worked as cabin crew.

I hope you find someway to work it out if it is your dream, try another airline they may view the situation differently.

flyblue
9th Feb 2005, 13:22
NordicJetSet
I know of a similar case of someone allergic to egg. He was turned down because if you have egg allergy you can't have the Yellow Fever shot that is compulsory for flying to some countries.

Bear in mind that even a mild allergy can become deadly. One day eating strawberries can only cauuse you a mild rash, the next you eat it and get anaphylactic reaction.

This said, NEVER EVER voluntarily offer information about your health that they cannot find out by themselves. They don't want to take any risks (of being sued if later you croak on the job, that is ;) ) so if they find out even the smallest thing, you are out. You will be screened anyway, so IF there really is something relevant, they'll find out.
Even if they had found out about your allergies (wich I doubt, since to find out the'd have to allergy test you, and I have never heard it done for CC) they still would have to prove you were aware of your condition to accuse you of lying.

NordicJetSet
9th Feb 2005, 13:46
I was already at the interview where they had also a "chat" with a nurse. I had admitted earlier in the application that I have a mild pollen allergy, but that wouldnīt have been a problem. Of course the nurse asked me did I ever had any other allergies (she was actually quite harsh and condescending on me :mad: ). Two seconds after I opened my mouth I wished that I wouldnīt have said anything. When I tried to argue with her, she even consulted the doctor in charge of cabin crew-issues.

Of course I donīt know if I would have got the job anyway, but I thought I stood a good chance. As flyblue mentioned earlier, I think that this is a good lesson to rest of you and I hope you donīt make the same mistake! Actually when I told about the situation (what the nurse had told me) to one of the recruitment staff, she said that I wasnīt even first one on that day who was turned down for the same reason...