PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning with Naples?

shortstripper
7th Feb 2005, 09:43
Hi All,

The price of the Naples-Air-Centre ATPL distance groundschool is very attractive compared to UK ones. Has anyone had experience of using their course to study and take the exams here in the UK?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

SS

liftdrag
8th Feb 2005, 01:40
I'm interested in the same information, so if somebody out there has any recommendations on any distance learning programs please let us know.

Thanks

shortstripper
9th Feb 2005, 07:11
So can I take it that no UK reader of this thread has done the Naples distance learning ATPL's? :suspect:

I've done searches but can't find anything specific to the distance learning groundschool?

SS

Charlie Zulu
9th Feb 2005, 07:35
This is strange, I am sure I replied to this one yesterday. Then again it was a little hectic in work so I may have been distracted whilst typing...

Anyway yes I'm on the Distance Learning course with NAC.

Module 1 has taken me longer than I had anticipated but that is due to various reasons that isn't relevant to this post.

The course notes are neatly presented with colour diagrams, tables etc when required. The folders contain self assessments but the assessments which count towards the course are taken online together with various other self assessments. These online tests are marked instantly.

Support is via a forums based interface so everyone can learn from your questions which I believe is a good idea. However you can still contact your tutor.

The only thing that would probably make the course better would be a CD-Rom with animations etc just like Bristol's. Oh well...

I haven't been on a brush up course or taken the exams yet but am now booked in on the July brush up course and August exams.

My choice was between NAC and Bristol as all of my friends who have used Bristol have had only excellent reports about them. Their notes look nice and the CD-Rom is a bonus. The reason why I choice NAC is because I have attended the school for the FAA certificates and I'd prefer to be many miles away from home where I'll have no family distractions during the brush up course and exams instead of being only a few miles away from home if I went to Bristol.

All the best.

Charlie Zulu.

su37_driver
9th Feb 2005, 09:07
One school:

Bristol ground school (BGS) ... enough said....

shortstripper
9th Feb 2005, 10:54
Thanks Charlie Zulu,

Do the brush up courses require you to travel over to Naples, or are they online based as well? If you have to travel over to the states then the cost is not so good!

I've sent off emails to NAC through their online form but don't get replies. Do you have an actual email address I can use?

SU37,

I hear lots of good things about BGS but GTS at bournemouth sound good too and are nearer to me.

Thanks ... SS

Charlie Zulu
9th Feb 2005, 11:12
Hi Shortstripper,

You'll have to travel to NAC for the brush up course...

Try giving them a call, it could be that your email address has been caught by their email filter which seems to be a little suspect... :D

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

shortstripper
9th Feb 2005, 16:25
Thanks again,

It looks like GTS at Bournemouth are the best option for me then. I don't need to take the full ATPL as there's no way I'd unfreeze the IR i the three years. I can manage the CPL flying, but with the IR flight training being so costly I'd prefer to spend my money on the FIR next. I'm only intending to instruct so a CPL with IMC is good enough for what I want in the timeframe I can realistically achieve.

NAC looked good value at around £1000 for the ATPL distance learning, but when you take the five extra exams, travel to the USA ect, the £1500 for a CPL course with GTS looks better.

SS

flaps now
9th Feb 2005, 17:26
Whilst i have no compliants about NAC (I did my PPL there and cant say enough good about the place) I feel the money you save on the course you will lose in the trips you have to make out there for the brush ups.. That's why i enrolled at BGS.. The notes are great and you get an excellent CD rom thats explains things in simple terms..

Morgo
10th Aug 2005, 14:00
Just wondering whether anyone has some photos of the notes that Naples provides for the course? I'm curious to see how it is presented, how clear the diagrams are and also comments on the quality of the writing.

Cheers!

ricky-godf
11th Aug 2005, 09:49
Hi,
I completed my ATPL studying distance learning with NAC.
I used to study with OAT manuals, first because I had them for long time before enrolling at NAC, and then becasue NAC manuals are not really top-notch (but are being ammended).
Apart of that, really good instructors (available almost everyday, one is ex-Cabair, another ex-BGS)...but keep in mind that DL means that you have to do most of the stuff by yourself, an instructor can help but not really teach when he lives thousands miles from you.
My overall experience with NAC was great, I could plan my studies as I wanted to, a couple of weeks for the brush up in Naples (nice place indeed), helpful instructors and all first time pass with very high average mark.
Best luck.

Charlie Zulu
11th Aug 2005, 14:22
Hi Morgo,

I'll sort out some photos of my module one folders this evening...

Still waiting for the results. Just a week and a day to go. Grrr.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Morgo
11th Aug 2005, 15:16
Charlie Zulu, that would be most appreciated... thanks! Good luck with the exam results, it must be nailbiting this close to the big day :)

smith
11th Aug 2005, 17:12
Agree with Ricky, instrctors great, notes a bit iffy.

Too many typo errors which leads to mass confusion.

Charlie Zulu
11th Aug 2005, 19:18
Hi Morgo,

Please check your private messages.

The only notes that I was not happy with was the ones for Performance, I've gone and bought the OAT book for Performance.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

ALV2500
15th Aug 2005, 18:25
I'm thinking about DL with Naples. Anyone know how many ( or how few) exams you can take per sitting. I'm flying almost 100 hours per month and have to study all 14 on the side.

Thanks , AL

WX Man
15th Aug 2005, 21:04
For DL, you can do no better than GTS in Bournemouth.

Notes: clear and written by guys who also write/wrote the JAA exam questions.

Instructors: they not just wrote the books, they wrote the questions. Why? Because they've all been doing it for yonks, have heaps of experience in their own subject areas, and are almost certainly the best in their particular fields.

Nuff said.

fatih
6th Sep 2005, 14:07
Hi guys, i have alos been reading upon NAC and would just like ot know feed back from students in how they go with there studies. Is it possible if i can alos get some screen dupms sent out to see the clarity of diagrams and the reading text.

Goodluck to all, that are studying at the moment