PDA

View Full Version : Mode "S" Transponder

CHOPPER74
6th Feb 2005, 20:37
Just recieved a Issue of Certificates for a new machine and says it is fitted with a mode S Transponder. Is this just a standard transponder which allows you to go into controlled airspace, or something else. Sorry for my ignorance but i am not sure.

Droopy
6th Feb 2005, 21:00
Put very simply, Mode "S" allows a lot more data [than just code and altitude] about the flight to be transmitted back to ATC. It will gradually become mandatory for IFR/controlled flights, though not sure about the plans for Oz airspace. Perhaps best to copy the query to the ATC forum to get the most comprehensive answer.

bockywocky
6th Feb 2005, 21:14
You are quite right droopy...

The mode S transponder will eventually replace the now common mode 1, 2, 3 and C transponders. With the new transponder every aircraft can have its own unique code.

Maybe it is not the first one, but the NH90 is going to have a mode S transponder installed....

imabell
6th Feb 2005, 21:28
mode s is a ground based transponder system that also allows for a screen in each aircraft giving each user the track, speed and height of other aircraft in the area.

eventually it could mean freedom of the skies as it will replace radar as we know it now and allow much more flexibility to operators.

a big leap forward.
:cool: :ok:

S92mech
6th Feb 2005, 22:23
Mode S transponders must be registered with FAA in the states, I have no clue about them in Oz. Our S-92's and newer S-76's have them installed from Sikorsky.

7th Feb 2005, 06:00
imabell - I might be old fashioned but there is something comforting about being on primary radar and controlled by a well trained air trafficer. The prospect of having another screen in the cockpit and using it to try and achieve increased traffic density sounds like a recipe for disaster. If it is only going to be used as a glorified TCAS then use TCAS instead but if it is going to let sensible separation minima be reduced ('at pilots discretion' no doubt) then we will see a lot more mid-airs and airproxes.

magbreak
7th Feb 2005, 14:58
Had mode S for the last 5 years and can't tell the difference inside to a mode C or whatever transponder. Only the sticker that says this is Mode S identifies it as such.

Thomas coupling
7th Feb 2005, 16:47
Compulsory for IFR in controlled airspace either this or next year. 2008 for everyone else out of controlled airspace.
It tells:
height
a/c type
owner of a/c
and I think there is room for other info too.

Not cheap to fit...GAT will be hurting (£)

ATC aren't too happy, their screens will fill to bursting with extranneous information, which is why there is a lead in for all the other 'riff raff' in 2008 :D

rotorspeed
7th Feb 2005, 17:28
Thomas

Didn't appreciate Mode S was so imminent for IFR in controlled airspace. Are you sure?

Does anyone know exactly when Mode S will be compulsory to get into controlled airspace IFR in UK/Europe and what sort of cost is involved in equipping?

Gaseous
7th Feb 2005, 18:47
Isn't it so that the b******ds who tell us they own the airspace can send us a bill??:yuk:

CHOPPER74
7th Feb 2005, 22:20
Thank you all for your inputs, i am now in the know.

Thomas coupling
8th Feb 2005, 07:40
March 2005 for IFR in TMA's and en route airspace.
March 2008 for all else.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/DAP_SSM_AIC_2004_105.pdf

refers.

Costs vary considerably, but we were quoted for a retro fit for £7000. [Police are subsequently exempt until 2008].

rotorspeed
8th Feb 2005, 08:59
Thomas - thanks.

At a quick glance, from this AIC Mode S looks like this is being phased in from March 2005 to March 2007, with exemptions if, amongst other reasons, fewer than 30 hours annually are reckoned to be flown within designated controlled airspace, at present London TMA.

Assuming no airways en route and most controlled airspace flying under SVFR, 30 hours would cover a fair amount of IFR such flying, which are really only likely for approaches, I would have thought.

Clearly needs looking at in detail though to establish what real limitations there are going to be, and when.