PDA

View Full Version : SR Technics - Manchester

Scottie Dog
6th Feb 2005, 20:01
Can anybody enlighten me as to the situation with SR Technics in Manchester?

I understand that the former FLS hanger - which is jointly used by MyTravel Engineering - has now got SR Technics titles on it.

Does SR Technics plan to re-establish a base at Manchester?

Thanks

Scottie Dog

bustitagain
7th Feb 2005, 15:48
Not sure about Manchester, but I have noticed alot of scaffolding outside the hangar at Gatwick airport as well. Not sure if this is just to change the old name or whether there might be some plans to re-open it. Anyone got any ideas?

freikorps
7th Feb 2005, 19:16
story is they are setting up a big line operation at manchester for third party customers looking at a330 767 757 777 contracts good news for manchester

FunctionedSatis
15th Feb 2005, 13:43
they have taken over Glasgow FLS too, the FLS vans and ground equip all have shiny new SR Technics stickers on them.

spannersatcx
15th Feb 2005, 15:08
third party customers looking at a330 767 757 777 contracts trouble is there aren't any!:confused:

TURIN
17th Feb 2005, 13:12
trouble is there aren't any!

Erm........

Qatar A330 x 4 / week
SIA B777 x Daily
PIA B777 X Millions / Week
US AIR A330 x Daily
Emirates B777 & A330 2x Daily
BACX B767 x Daily
DELTA B767 & B777 x Daily
Continental B777, B767 & B757 x Daily
BMI A330 2x Daily

Plus a multittude of others whose names escape me at the moment.:ok:

topjet330
17th Feb 2005, 15:06
First Choice - B767, B757

My Travel - A330, B757

Thomas Cook - A330

Monarch A330

spannersatcx
17th Feb 2005, 15:57
Maybe, but they are already done by other people,
SIA, MAS, USairways and Emirates are all tied into BA and won't go elsewhere (they always reside with the national carrier) PIA with BA also, Delta have their own people and they also look after CO (FAA and all that), Monarch do their own and a few others as do MYT, TCX and FCA, doesn't leave a lot is what I'm saying so there isn't a market there to tap!;)

freikorps
17th Feb 2005, 16:23
thats the whole idea of a free market, people can actually compete for contracts, so if bmi for example were not happywith the maintenance monarch provide on there a330 fleet they could actually change providers, strange but true! so i would suggest there is actualy a big market for sr tecnics to try and tap into

spannersatcx
18th Feb 2005, 06:31
That's the problem, trying to get customers to move to a new outfit, unless you severly undercut everyone else (and then you'll be back to the old ways of loads of contracts and not making any money) how do you win the contracts? You need people in place to offer services, so what do you do employ 100's of people in the hope you'll win a few contracts, what happens if nobody wants to come their way, lay off again! And unless there is a big change in the management it'll just be the same as before but under a different banner. They'll find it very difficult if not impossible to get the likes of SIA, EK etc to move from BA (as stated they go with the national carrier) FCA, Monarch etc already have their own. The only thing I guess is with the muted Brittania maint always for sale is one of the few. Don't get me wrong, I wish them all the luck, but it's not going to be easy that's for sure! :ok:

mono
18th Feb 2005, 07:41
Spanners,

Many of the charter carriers you mention only do their own LINE mx. The heavy checks are farmed out, and by heavy I mean above and including 2A's.

Even those carriers that have their own in house mx will some times realise that they will be unable to c/o certain checks due to, for example, other work in progress. So they too will seek 3rd party mx for some of their fleet.

Whilst I admit that line mx contracts are a bit thin on the ground there is scope for hangar contracts.

There is a lot of potential out there but it is a cut throat industry.

TURIN
20th Feb 2005, 09:54
Emirates are all tied into BA and won't go elsewhere

That'l be why Monarch look after their A330s then!:rolleyes:

Delta have their own people and they also look after CO (FAA and all that),

So how come BA look after the 2 AA 767s and USAir A330 then? BA also used to have the CO contract but \'lost\' it under dubious circumstances.

Airlines swap and change handling agents (not just maint) all the time, it keeps em on their toes.:ok:

There is a big market at MAN for a 3rd party line maint organisation.
Who had heard of STORM! 5 years ago?:eek:

spannersatcx
20th Feb 2005, 18:37
Sorry EK 777's not 330's, CX used to do EK 777 at LHR until a global agreement between BA and EK meant that they looked after each other in certain places, I guess as Monarch do a good job and the contract was already in place for that then they stuck with them, who knows. I know that locally at LHR EK didn't want to leave CX but had no choice from the powers that be.

BA and AA are in an alliance, and BA already have FAA approval, it may take a while for a new company to get FAA approval, that was the point.

Yes but look at Storm now!

I think mono is right in that the hangar maintenance side of things may be a more viable prospect for a new company.

I guess only time will tell, but it may take some time.

cutmeownthroatdibler
20th Feb 2005, 20:03
Spanners,
they are not a 'new outfit', they've been doing the maintenance on the bigger stuff at Zurich for Swiss, for a fair few years now.

Could be they are over in Blighty now to cut labour costs?

spannersatcx
20th Feb 2005, 21:29
Yeah Zurichs not cheap that's for sure, let's hope they don't try and get people on the cheap in the UK then!