View Full Version : FAA Flight time limitations

stressful
6th Feb 2005, 16:10
Hi

I am trying to source a copy of the FAA regulations that govern how many hours you can fly and all the training requirements etc you are required to do in order to keep your FAA lience valid for both cock pit crew and flight attendants.

Please can anyone email me a copy or a website link. I have tried the FAA website and cannot find anything.

Thanks

typhoonpilot
7th Feb 2005, 01:47
You might try looking under the Federal Aviation Regulations. I'll assume you mean regulations for airlines since you also specified Flight Attendants. That would be FAR Part 121. FAR Part 121 can be purchased relatively cheaply at any aviation bookstore in the U.S. I bet even Amazon carries it.

In fact, a quick check of Amazon show that the 2004 version for Flight Crew is available for just under $7.00.

TP

Tinstaafl
10th Feb 2005, 04:22
It could also be Part 135 etc. Flight Attendant requirements is based on passenger seats. Pretty much irrespective of which Part under which you operate.

Anyway, the FARs are available online at www.faa.gov and follow the links. Very handy while killing time at an FBO, I've discovered - I have a Part 135 FAA checkride looming as part of my newly gained employment in the USA so am currently engaged in trying to rapidly assimilate the US way of doing things... :ooh:

Skaz
10th Feb 2005, 18:55
wouldnt that stuff be in the FAR/AIM?

question: the FAA ATP is valid for ever basically, as long as your medical is valid and you do a biannual flight revue? correct?

what when and how for the BFR?

Tinstaafl
11th Feb 2005, 00:39
That stuff is in the FARs under the Part that covers the operation eg Part 91, 135, 121 etc.

US certificates & ratings (ie licences etc) are issued permanently however are not valid for use unless you've met certain recency &/or refresher requirements.

A Biennial Flight Review is one of these requirements. Basically a refresher flight done at least every two years to review your skills. As best I recall it involves at least an hour ground time & the same in the air. You don't lose your licence if you don't do one, but it effectively becomes dormant. Just about any flight test for the issue of another certificate or rating meets the BFR requirement, as do company base/line checks. My impending Part 135 checkride will, for example, as did my ATP-Single Engine Land & Single Engine Sea certificates that I did late last year to revalidate my long unused multi-engine ATP

Instrument rating privileges - either as a separate rating on a PPL or CPL, or the integral IR privilages included with an ATP - need you to have met the recency requirements such as 6 approaches in 6 the last six months etc.

homesick rae
12th Mar 2005, 02:53
Same subject, but slightly offtrack...

Can anyone provide the small table for FTLs that appears in most manuals...sectors, dep time, hours allowed...if you get my drift?

Or is there a link or website where I can find it. Don't see it in the FAR/AIM.

Appreciated.

Cheers

HR

weasil
13th Mar 2005, 11:55
it is not something published by the government. You would have to find a copy of someone's company operating manual or get your hands on the guide to FTL's from ALPA.

Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) limit the number of hours that airline pilots can fly. Pilots flying passengers domestically within continental U.S. are typically limited to 8 hours flight time per day, 30 hours per week, 100 per month, and 1,000 per year. Pilots flying domestic cargo may accumulate up to 48 flight hours at the controls per week.

It is important to recognize that these "flight time" limits do not include non-flying time spent preparing for a flight, time spent while passengers and bags, or cargo, is loaded or unloaded, and time spent while the airplane is serviced, or spent completing mandatory pre-flight and post-flight procedures and paperwork. All of these mandatory "non-flight" activities, together with actual "flying time," constitute a pilot’s total time at work, or "duty time." Domestic pilots are generally limited to 16 hours total duty time per day. Tests have shown, however, that when duty time exceeds 12 and extends to 16 hours, performance becomes impaired due to fatigue to the same extent as if pilots had exceeded the legal blood alcohol limit of 0.04 per cent. ALPA believes current scientific and fatigue research has established that 12 hours maximum on duty should be the regulatory limit for most circumstances.
"ALPA"