PDA

View Full Version : BRNC Pilot Intakes for 2005

wannabewingman
6th Feb 2005, 15:02
Hi ther Guys,

Hope someone can help me with a question?

Im curerently applying for the RAF and am planning a concurrent application for the FAA and was wondering if anyone knows when the Pilot/ Observer intakes are for BRNC this year?

Was just wondering as im 24 in May and am really desperate to get into training as quickly as possible if im selected as I feel i've already wasted valuable time messing about.

cheers,

WW

Pielander
6th Feb 2005, 15:48
The way it works in the FAA is that once you are successful at AIB, you will be put on the selection list for 12 months. At each intake, the top candidates are selected based on FAT and AIB scores. In other words, it doesn't make any difference what time of year you apply.

You've got a much better chance of being a pilot in the FAA than the RAF, as the RAF are barely recruiting any new pilots for the foreseeable future.

Beware though, the FAA age limit on entry is being reduced to 24 this year. Get in while you still can!

Good luck!

airborne_artist
6th Feb 2005, 18:29
Just don't tell the FAA that you've applied to the Cr@bs!

The Royal Navy has better uniforms, real traditions, and knows how to have a great time.

And they don't have an Rock Apes making them dress up in cabbage kit and play at being soldiers (why join the RAF if they want to be grunts?).

Pielander
6th Feb 2005, 18:41
aa,

I thought Royal Marines were a sort of marinised Rock Ape.

Or is it a sort of "thug's game played by gentlemen" situation?

airborne_artist
6th Feb 2005, 19:31
Royals are a special breed, and you'll go far if you give them healthy respect. The CSM at BRNC (back in 78) was without doubt the best - the RN GIs couldn't get near him when it came to drilling a squad.

At the time BRNC had its own Marine Band - and not much makes an 18 y/o (and his serving RN dad) more proud than marching on to Ceremonial Divisions to Hearts of Oak.

The RM band beating retreat and performing Sunset, reduces most ladies, and some men to tears.

Thud Ridge
6th Feb 2005, 20:22
AA,

As far as i know BRNC still has its own band, it certainly did 4 years ago, and i couldn't agree more about marching to Heart of Oak and watching Sunset/Beat Retreat......Awesome.

Bootnecks, probably the best soldiers in the world.

Rock Apes, what do they do?

TR

airborne_artist
6th Feb 2005, 20:41
TR

Glad to hear it - thought that in the days of mp3 they'd be marching to a virtual band, which is what they did in my Dad's day, 47-51 (to records, 78's I suppose)- only had CinC Plymouth's band two or three times a term, he said.

Saw Beat Retreat and Sunset at Chelsea Barracks, performed by an RM band. The Guards were very impressed, seriously.

bad livin'
6th Feb 2005, 20:54
As a trainee pilot with the flying skills of an optimistic penguin, I had to leave the RAF after two years. I then joined the senior service and found everything I'd hoped for in a military career. I loved BRNC, even though I'd completed IOT at RAFC only eighteen months or so before. The Senior Service has instilled a pride and fondness of tradition in me I wouldn't have believed possible, and should you be presented with the choice I'd recommend the RN every time. Don't worry about being honest RE applying to the other services - of course, your commitment to becoming an Officer is first and foremost what is being examined, but they know fine well that the RAF is often the first stop for prospective aircrew. The time away can be hard...but the coming home is always the sweeter for it.

Best of luck...and Fly Navy!

BL

nick0021
6th Feb 2005, 21:36
WW,

As mentioned by PieLander, the RAF is hardly recruiting at the present which would make it very hard indeed to get in. However, the FAA are on the 'look out' for more pilots.....and as before mentioned...it is indeed the senior service. Unfortunatly i think that the RAF stop recruiting for aircrew at 23 (might be wrong about that?!). In actual fact, i have got my second ACLO interview tomorrow!!

Got Butterflies already! Right back to the revision. Wish me luck!

Good Luck in your application WW!
Hopefully see you at BRNC!

:ok: :ok:

All the best

Nick

strek
7th Feb 2005, 07:04
Back to the original point, BRNC entry.

If you get he ball rolling, get down the careers office and get FATs booked it could be much shorter than this.

You will not sit on a list for 12 months if you have passed your FATs and the AIB - the RN are desperately short of aircrew.

All I can say is prepare for the AIB well, and best of luck. If you have not done RAF FATs yet, remember you either have it or you don't.

Strek

cobaltfrog
7th Feb 2005, 21:22
;) WW

In answer to your question we have a pilot intake every 7 weeks. The phases are 7 weeks long and you will do five of them! The first is the militarisation Phase followed by the Grading Phase (very important to pass if you want to go further!), then pre-ist (Initial Sea Training) then IST and then your Pass Out Phase. Dependant on whether you join at the start of a term or in the middle (ie week 8 of 14) will depend on whether you have any observers with you. So, you could be in a flight of 6 or 18! usually 8 pilots and the rest Observers.

Good Luck!

wannabewingman
7th Feb 2005, 21:55
Cheers Guys,

Thanks for the info. Im currently applying for NC air crew and WSO with the RAF as im slightly too old for Pilot in the RAF

My first choice is Pilot as an ex UAS boy so here's hoping i can do well and get some flying done with the FAA. I also know from talking to my RAF Careers officer not to get my hopes up as the situation is dire within the RAF at the moment. It therfore seems the FAA is the best option and the way forward.

Also very glad to hear that the system for entry in the Navy seems pretty quick if your good enough so "touch wood" I can do well. I was just really worried that I would be waiting for a year if I was selected. Im dieing at my desk in work at the moment!

Thanks again,

WW

P.S Nick hope you did well. Would love to hear how you got on!

Jucky
9th Feb 2005, 19:33
I was talking to a colleague from DNR the other day and they were telling me that the RN is desperate for aircrew over the next year or so.

So much in so, that basically if you pass FATs, AIB, and Medical your in!

Although, with this policy I would expect the number of people getting chopped to increase again in a couple of years time.

The RN is definitely the way forward if you want to be aircrew these days.

Best of Luck!

FLY NAVY!

:ok: Jucky :ok:

Pielander
10th Feb 2005, 00:45
Well that makes me feel a bit less good about myself.

<smug mode - off> :ouch:

airborne_artist
10th Feb 2005, 08:13
Pielander

It was much the same 27 years ago; walk, talk, hold a pen (not all at once, you understand) and pass the tests and you were in... What's more pilot candidates only had to pass for pilot, not obs as well.

And you only needed 5 O-levels ....

Just imagine my low self-esteem :{ :{ :{

Pielander
10th Feb 2005, 23:37
Yes, I can imagine.:}

<smug mode - on again>

Until a week on Tuesday.