PDA

View Full Version : Kerplunk?

metalthrower
6th Feb 2005, 13:26
So what would do it? What would be the 'final' straw that would cause you to vote with your feet?

MaroonMan4
6th Feb 2005, 14:00
What would reallymake me go (rather than just drip about it)....good question metal thrower as there is a big difference between 'sounding off' and actually writing the PVR letter. Some thoughts below:

The moment I see unequivocal proof of a death in Service due to the Govt lack of resources in its forces.

The moment I go back on operations and cannot sign a bit of kit out that I know is there, but a civilian storeman is telling me I can't have or he has run out.

If I go back on operations I feel as though myself and my colleagues have not received the correct level of training.

If I spend more than 8 months away per year from my family (unless warfighting for national survival in which case I will spend as long as you like).

If the Govt removes any link to loyalty between Armed foces, oaths and Her Majesty.

If the quality of life reduces to a degree where it would be better to accept a lower salary and pension but actually have a life.

If anymore people resign from my area of work I will be forced to go as I am already 2 people's work (they have PVR'd over the last few years) and I am doing their job aswell as my own and although told someone is coming, they never appear as each boss hates to get seen as a whinger and quickly gets told to make do.

The removal of Boarding School Allowance possibly (as this is really what makes the difference in civvie street salaries).

The moment my immediate boss lies to me/the Sqn to improve/cover his career chances.

My wife/children says that they have had enough of me being away.

BigginAgain
6th Feb 2005, 14:15
A very significant lottery win!!!!!!!!!

Say £10 Million. But I wouldn't leave immediately. I would hang around until I'd done exactly enough to guarantee my pension, and have enormous fun!

Learn to fly, buy a small helicopter to fly to work in (that will stop the feds pulling me over at the gate to confirm there's nothing in the boot).

Make donations to various sqn and stn funds to avoid any duties I didn't fancy. Tell the DO to pi$$ off when he told me which move would best suit my career development (how do people get away with that????:mad:).

But seriously? I would have to go if they stopped Boarding School Allowance. Currently worth about £10-14K per annum per child. This offsets the pension that I would be taking home for free from the end of this year.

BA

Interesting that BSA is a common element between my own and MM4's posts. I did not see that post as we wrote them simultaneously. I have added this afterwards.

opso
6th Feb 2005, 15:47
Maybe if we made it mandatory for all aircrew to breed and place the sprogs in boarding school all the RAF's retention problems would be solved!;)

Seriously though, BSA has long been quoted as a reason that people stay after their IPP and has long been available to all. (Well everyone that has kids, anyway.)

As reasons go, I particularly liked If the Govt removes any link to loyalty between Armed foces, oaths and Her Majesty. Witness the difference in our opinions of the royals vs the politicos and the welcome received by each at the secret Wiltshire airbase recently. Certainly trying to break that loyalty would be a Blairism to far for many people - myself included.

flyboy007
6th Feb 2005, 21:39
The abolition of the 'Return of Service' would be enough to set me running. Decision's made, bag is packed, clock is ticking...

Lafyar Cokov
7th Feb 2005, 00:12
I think if they abolished FRI 2 then I'd definately be........ what ?? They have???? See ya losers!!!

High_Expect
7th Feb 2005, 16:44
MaroonMan4 I refer you to the link below.... as posted on another post.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4243613.stm

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You know what you have to do.

hyd3failure
7th Feb 2005, 18:14
If I spend more than 8 months away per year from my family - wow. Good job yer not in the RN fella, you'd have walked ages ago!!!!!!!!

JessTheDog
11th Feb 2005, 09:21
I voted with my feet for a variety of reasons and I was musing on this topic this morning, out for a walk.

What really shattered my trust in the MoD was not the many incompetencies which have come to light after TELIC.

The announcement that the FA2 was to be withdrawn and the Fleet's organic air defence would be provided by an upgraded GR7 with no radar or BVR capability - and the attempt to market this as a credible capability - did for any vestiges of trust I had in HMG.

Failing to supply kit, or providing duff kit through incompetence is one thing. Introducing an inferior replacement capability for cost saving reasons and trying to portray this as a good thing demonstrates the level of mendacity the liars have sunk to.

MaroonMan4
11th Feb 2005, 09:39
Jess,

We must have been musing together today. I have just returned from being away and just see how tired, helpless and 'grey' everyone looks. There is just no spirit, ethos or trust anymore.

I read High_Expects post, looked at my earlier post and thought 'bl00dy hell' this is the moment, this is my personal'straw'/'camels back' that everyone talks about.

Sat down with wife, made decision and have now just returned from handing in PVR letter (I got the day off to think about it - yeah right!).

Although I know I have made the right decision, I am so sad that it ended this way as loyalty makes me believe that I am leaving a sinking ship and should stand until the bitter end, but it is like running into a brick wall - you can see it there and you know it will really hurt!

Sorry and thanks for the fun times.

Beags, many thanks for all your help over the bridging package, it is because of you I got off my @rse and now have my licences. Cheers, and keep passing your wisened advice to the youngsters. Si Click, I think that you will do the same for the WAFUs.

Byee

BEagle
11th Feb 2005, 10:12
Well done on getting your licences sorted, MaroonMan4! And for your kind words.

I was suprised to learn that, even with the 2000TT/1500P1/1000PIC 'easy route' ATPL available to them, many younger ME mates are still doing the full route to ATPL as they've seemingly had enough of decrepit old jets and dodgy deserts and just won't wait that long.

If the retention incentives aren't working and FRI is going, what the heck is there to keep people in except BSA brat-breeding allowance?

mbga9pgf
11th Feb 2005, 11:25
Queue Flak,

But removal of the Monarch as head of state:

Including,

replacement by a european constitution.

As far as I see it, and I may stand corrected, my original attestation was primarily to the royal family and next country govt etc, as such I personally would not feel obliged to serve any longer. I personally would refuse to serve directly under any form of European Super-State.

Big Tudor
11th Feb 2005, 11:34
mbga

my original attestation was primarily to the royal family
Isn't the phrase along the lines of "Her Majesty, her heirs and successors". Wouldn't take much for the scribblies to make the EU one of HM's successors.

High_Expect
11th Feb 2005, 17:41
MaroonMan 4, just wanted to wish you all the best with your future. Sorry to be the one to provide the weight that broke the camels’ back. I’m pleased to hear you’re happy with your decision and I’m sure you’ll be all the better for it. I won’t feel even remotely sad if I were you. You're not the one that started the ship sinking in the first place………. Ps. Let me know who you end up working for, I’ll be looking for a job in about 15yrs.

Regards,
High_Expect