PDA

View Full Version : DOS Commands under XP Pro

Keef
5th Feb 2005, 23:26
For many a year, I've had an "automatic" backup routine on my PC. The most recent version copies my important stuff to a hard drive on the server up in the attic. The previous version (also still used for "belt and braces") copies to a large separate hard drive on the main PC.

I discovered to my horror the other day that neither of these two has been working for some time. Fortunately, nothing important is lost.

It took me a lot longer to find out why this is so. If I opened a "DOS box" (I know they aren't called that under XP, but you know what I mean) and typed almost any command, even "help", I'd get an error message. Only a very few commands worked.

The problem is that XP has moved chunks of the key stuff to C:\Windows\System32 where it used to be in C:\Windows\Command.

Only a little change, but XP on my machine hadn't updated the "PATH=" statement to include System32, so it can't find itself. The first line of my batch files is now a PATH= statement, and they work fine.

I wonder if I should edit that thing called AUTOEXEC.BAT?

I pass this on, in case anyone else has had the problem and is wondering what's up.

under_exposed
7th Feb 2005, 07:56
Try right clicking 'my computer' select properties, select advanced, select environment variables and look for path in there.

Keef
7th Feb 2005, 13:03
Hmmm - interesting. Hadn't been there before. There's no PATH in there, though.

However, editing AUTOEXEC.BAT and ,DOS to include c:\Windows\System32 in the path has fixed the problem, and my backup batch files work again like a dream.