PDA

View Full Version : Just some newbie advice please

rubberball
5th Feb 2005, 22:29
Hello fellow flight simmers....

Just a quick question,when Selecting a short internal flight EGNM-EGCC I would like to know if i should leave the default altitudes that the MS flight planner gives me which are 13500 low altitude airways and 25500 high altitude....is this about right and how is is worked out?

Also what is the Transition altitude?

Regards Paul Teasdale

Keef
5th Feb 2005, 23:30
Not sure I understand the question. I don't use MS Flight Sim, but airway base flight levels vary, even along the same airway.

You'd need an airways chart to see the levels available on each.

Transition altitude is mostly 3000 feet around the UK, but there are exceptions.
The UKAIP gives details - I can't remember the para number offhand.

davethelimey
7th Feb 2005, 13:03
You'd be better asking in the spotters forum, or possibly heading to flightsim.com to ask there. This isn't a flight sim forum, although most people here will gladly divulge information if you ask nicely.

HonestoGod
7th Feb 2005, 14:54
Trimmer.

These issues are important as they are critical to safety. On the sim u can do anything, no one dies. Hence people may get techy with some questions.

In a nutshell -

error_401
10th Feb 2005, 06:25
two questions to give a good answer - not SIM related but operational.

what aircraft type?

what is the distance to go?

that will influence planning. short distance to go low level. Aircraft with good performance go a little higher, bad performance stay low - saves fuel.

these short flights are always a trade between optimum FL and distance to go. usually operations optimize for flight time and fuel.