PDA

View Full Version : PIA divert into MAN???

G-SP0T
5th Feb 2005, 12:37
I have heard rumours that a PIA 747 diverted into MAN last night on 3 engines. can any1 verify this?

Pontious
5th Feb 2005, 20:40
Do you mean the one on 214?

:ok:

G-SP0T
5th Feb 2005, 21:18
i'm not too sure where it ended up, if you mean the one on the corner near staff west, that was there yesterday...

Pontious
5th Feb 2005, 21:31
I was in MAN this lunchtime and there was 2 PIA 747's and 2 PIA 777's docked at T2 loading/unloading pax and freight plus a lonely looking PIA 747 on 214. I asked the groundstaff if all these PIA movements were normal. They replied yes and told me the story about the one on 214. The story may already have broken in the MEN. Quite shocking really.....

spannersatcx
5th Feb 2005, 21:36
PK710 left MAN 20:30 4/2 returned some 2 1/2 hrs later after an IFSD. Turbine gave up on an ENG. No big deal, nothing any otherline han't suffered. Replacement eng due to arrive 6/2 on combi a/c.

Kaptin M
5th Feb 2005, 21:57
:ok: Congratulations and Well Done :ok: to the Tech crew for making an inflight engine shutdown (IFSD), "No big deal", and for returning the aircraft and contents SAFELY back.

AUTOGLIDE
6th Feb 2005, 06:59
What exactly is "shocking" about an IFSD? Hardly the end of the world.

Pontious
6th Feb 2005, 09:47
The "shocking" bit was an attempt at sarcasm because I just wondered how long it would take a "journo" to dump a "SHOCK! HORROR! NEAR DISASTER!" type of "spin", sorry, bullsh1t slant on it. Sorry for any confusion that has arisen.

QNH1013
6th Feb 2005, 11:40
Agreed, IFSD is a fully manageable non-normal situation that crew are fully trained for on a regular basis. I'd feel the same way especially when I have 3 other engines going. But I fly twin engine aircraft and as I'd also maintain that IFSD is not an utter catastrophe, I wouldn't feel as blasé about it being "No Big Deal" and it would be a shock as it's not supposed to happen in real life on a regular basis. On the contrary, it is a big deal, but nothing to panic about. And especially if not knowing why my engine failed I'd be nervously hoping that what happened won't happen to my other one remaining engine. As a pilot on a 2 Eng aircraft, I'd rather have an engine shutdown/failure on a 4 Eng aircraft. Maybe my nervous disposition to a one Eng inop is also because I operate just a 737 (often with a few tech snags already), not a super duper A330 or 777!

In any case, not front page news worthy.

G-SP0T
6th Feb 2005, 12:09
forgive me for asking but what is a IFSD???