PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Unis

Quango
5th Feb 2005, 10:11
Hi all

Just about to go into sixth form and was wondering what are the best univerities for aeronautical enginneering?
Also are there any scholarships for engineering (aviation) at the moment, I have seen BA used to do one but they stopped it.

Thanks

Quango

Genghis the Engineer
5th Feb 2005, 10:18
Universities: look at (in no particular order) Glasgow, Southampton, Kingston, Bath, Loughborough, Imperial, Sheffield - all run excellent Aero-eng courses. The precise content varies with university, so you are likely to pick a course by what interests you most, rather than quality - they are all good.

As for sponsorship, it's still there - mostly with the big organisations such as BAE, Qinetiq, Airbus, Westlands. The competition is stiff, but it's well worth trying for.

One warning, watch out for "aeronautical science" courses - if you want to be a Chartered Engineer, you must graduate from a course that is Engineering Council accredited, these usually aren't. Basically look for the BEng and MEng degrees, as opposed to BSc.

G

sumps
6th Feb 2005, 22:23
I’m doing the BEng at KINGSTON V'Good but maintenance related - however BRISTOL is excellent more your designer type.

Good luck :ok:

Tallbloke
7th Feb 2005, 07:28
Like Genghis said, it does depend on what interests you...I finished a BEng Air Transport Engineering at City last year, which was just what suited me. It is worth thinking about what you want to do with your degree afterwards, there is no point in doing a degree with a bias toward a/c maintenance if you want to do design / research, in this case a more theoretical course might suit you.

sumps
7th Feb 2005, 12:09
As for finances the military do sponsor (see links below or talk to your careers officer). BUT they will want a return for there money – however you will get a lot of responsibility very quickly which is good for CV, however as a Junior Eng O your more likely to be in charge of maintainers than in the project teams – so as said before look at your long term wants then research then tailor to meet your needs

www.royal-navy.mod.uk (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk)

www.army.mod.uk (http://www.army.mod.uk)

www.raf.mod.uk (http://www.raf.mod.uk)

S

Quango
20th Feb 2005, 12:13
hi all

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to go into more of the desgin type things, so what unis are the best for this?

Thanks

Quango

Genghis the Engineer
20th Feb 2005, 17:47
For design side, any of the ones I listed.

G

sumps
20th Feb 2005, 20:19
I would suggest you do a bit of reserch on the links to industry and the currency of the data they use.
E.g. My farther used to work as one of the senior systems engineers at BAE Filton, he was then asked to lecture a few times then subequently ended up as a visiting professor at Bristol Uni. From this I know they use a lot of Airbus design data to produce there project work, there is also a close association with Rolls Royce at Bristol, hence the good links to industry - Just a thought.

S