PDA

View Full Version : Retail therapy

Wrench Wench
30th Dec 2000, 18:59
My man is taking me to HKG next month and while there we are going to indulge in some RT.

Would you locals please advise of any digital camera/watch shops that give a reasonable crew discount without too much hassle?

Happy New Year to all!

Flap 5
31st Dec 2000, 02:04
Hong Kong is not cheap any more. Avoid Tsim Sha Tsui or any shop that doesn't clearly price their goods. Mong Kok or the larger shopping arcades are usually better.

Goroundflap
31st Dec 2000, 09:39
Standard Audio 27350005
Ocean Center Tsim Sha Tsui ask for Michael Hon. I and several other CX people have been dealing with him for 10 years plus. Check prices and model numbers in your home country first. It is best to research at home to ensure that you are getting a good deal by your countries standards. Most things are cheaper in Oz now since the 7 secret taxes have been replaced with a fairer GST system. If you need me to price something for you I can.. just give me the model number or call Michael yourself.

aviator
31st Dec 2000, 09:43
Try Australia Watch and Jewelery at 39 Miradoe Mansion G/F,54-64, Nathan Road in Kowloon.

The owner, Steven Lee, gives a good discount to airline crews on watches.

Also Florie Yu at PanAm Pearls behind the Hyatt for pearls and chinese goods.

For tailor goods, Winston Co at 5-6 Middle road, 1/floor right behind the Sheraton in Kowloon.

All good UA shopping places.

Have fun!

Wrench Wench
3rd Jan 2001, 03:29
Very much appreciate the shopping information boys. Incidentally does HK have January sales like we do in England?

Looking forward to travelling on CX.

WW

cheklapsap
3rd Jan 2001, 05:08
WW
Yes,
The closer you get to Chinese New Year, the bigger the discounts.
Happy shopping.

spannersatcx
17th Jan 2001, 02:44
Sorry to trouble you with this, but I to have a trip coming up for recurrent trng in HKG flying out 27/01 for 3 days. Does anyone know what sort of price the HP Jornada 545/8 PDA is in HKG at the moment, either in reputable store or DF at airport. Any info would be appreciated.

BusyB
17th Jan 2001, 06:48
Spanners, I saw it in Star House for approx $4,400 but the IPAQ is about the same. No contest.

spannersatcx
19th Jan 2001, 01:32
Thanks BusyB, I'll have to give that some thought.

Squiddley
19th Jan 2001, 08:49
Spanners and anyone else PC shopping ,

A great guide I use to track prices is here: http://buycomp.hkgolden.com/
Just list the hardware type and optionally the brand/price range and there you go. The links will pop up the specs and location of the vendor too, most if not all of which are in the Golden Centre in Sham Shui Po. Prices for the 545/548 are listed at $3680/$4180 respectively. As usual, it pays to browse the shops, but prives are usually very close.

Cheers.