PDA

View Full Version : Mayday! Violence threatened chez Binos.

Binoculars
5th Feb 2005, 00:46
To quote from an old Who song;

My life's in jeopardy,
Murdered in cold blood is what I'm gonna be. :ooh:

Installed XP over the top of 98SE with no real problems, except for Outlook Express. The address book survived the change, but all the folders, containing every email saved from various Binoettes scattered over the globe for the last three years have disappeared. Mrs B is apoplectic, which is a terrible sight. I fear for my life.

I expect the worst, but is there any possibility of making life worth living again?

Also,much less importantly, the desktop doesn't take up the whole screen. Any suggestions?

:{

ORAC
5th Feb 2005, 05:05
See here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx) Interesting to see Microsoft linking to someone else's site. DBXtract (http://www.oehelp.com/dbxtract/default.aspx)

Binoculars
5th Feb 2005, 12:53
OK, some very strange things are happening here, but it looks as though my sentence will be commuted to life misery. The search for .dbx files found a lot of old messages in my spare hard drive of all places, and that is somewhere I haven't visited for at least twelve months. Ours not to reason why, however.

After importing said files, what all folders have in common is that the last message is on Nov 11, which my feeble brain finally worked out to be exactly three months ago. Presumably an option is set somewhere involving three months. I don't know, it's all beyond me completely, especially finding them in the D: drive.

I was going to download the extract file mentioned by ORAC, but alas, one other small complication since the install is that I can't get the internet on the desktop. All the configuration is correct, Device Manager indicates the network card is working properly, but the poota keeps telling me that a network cable is unplugged, and it bloody well ain't! I have double checked all connections, replaced cables, and I still get the same indication. My router is working fine on my lappy, and the four port switch I use indicates the connection to my desktop is fine, green lights everywhere, but no, something is unplugged.

Had a brainwave and reinstalled modem/router software: nope. Yet oddly enough, nowhere in Device Manager do I see the router mentioned.

Confusion reigns. :confused: :confused:

Hang on. Another brainwave has just struck me. I shall report back with a progress check. :uhoh:

Grrrr. Nope, that had exactly the same effect as all my other brainwaves. Nada.

ck4707
5th Feb 2005, 13:19
Binos

The e-mail folders are stored in a directory with a path name similar to below (when comp user name is yours) The directory after Identities will probably have a different set of characters.

C:\Documents and Settings\comp user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{F07289EA-C705-4DD4-9A2A-56DE4B7888A6}\Microsoft\Outlook Express[

Look and see if the old folders are there

Hope this helps

CK

Binoculars
5th Feb 2005, 13:40
Yeah, thanks CK, that's where I found them. Just a bit mystified by the lack of anything for three months, almost as though recent files are stored in a separate folder. I'll check again tomorrow to see if the files for the 6th November appear.:}

stickyb
5th Feb 2005, 13:58
When you installed xp, did you patch it up to sp2?
If you were on-line during the instalation, then it only takes a few minutes to get your new installation compromised by trojans etc. unless you take a lot of care.

Have you done virus scan, eliminated rogue diallers, etc?

Kaptin M
5th Feb 2005, 19:08
since the install is that I can't get the internet on the desktop. G'day Binos. I had a similar problem some time back - I must have checked every lead and cable into and out of all the boxes and jack points probably 3 or 4 times. :mad: :{
In the end, I called my provider and asked him wtf was wrong.
He suggested setting up a new connection ie. go to Control Panel, Network and Internet connection, set up or change your Internet connection - and re-enter all the info...password, account name, etc. Hey presto :ok:

Good Luck!

Binoculars
5th Feb 2005, 23:42
ISP went through everything with me Kap, everything configured right, no viruses or malware, for some reason it just keeps showing the connection is unplugged.

ISP support concluded it had to be an O/S fault and suggested I call Microsoft. Yeah right!:rolleyes:

Would uninstalling and reinstalling XP, or maybe just reinstalling it over the top be a valid proposition? (Remembering to save my emails this time!)

Kaptin M
6th Feb 2005, 00:14
Yes Binos my original connection looked to be correctly configured, but for some reason it wouldn't connect.
Suggest you spend a few minutes making a NEW one, before doing a re-install.
Good Luck, mate!

(You did try turning the power off to the adapter for a minute or so, I guess?? :ugh: )

Keef
6th Feb 2005, 00:18
Echo that. My GPRS link stopped working in exactly the same way. I went all over it umpteen times to no avail. Then someone said "remove and reconfigure". That took two minutes, and fixed it.

Binoculars
8th Feb 2005, 10:49
And the winner is...... TCS!!!!!!

The updated driver for the network adapter solved the problem, but let me tell you something. When the only internet connection you have is on another computer that doesn't have a floppy, whose network connection is unavailable, and whose CD-burning program has gone tits up, and you have just given away your memory stick to your daughter with the other lappy for a 21st present as she disappears to Sydney, it's unbelievable how complicated it can be to get a downloaded file from one computer to another!

Thanks folks, as soon as I got the new driver installed, whoosh! Up came the network connection. Wonderful things these computers, just lucky I've got nothing better to do with my life than spend days at a time in front of them! :rolleyes:

Capn Notarious
9th Feb 2005, 07:57
Oh Binoculars.
Commisserations, I know exactly how it is. The trouble is that the techno minded teenager always go's out when yer need a fix or charges high,Can you pick me up from...........