PDA

View Full Version : Trolly Dollies about Excel Airways on Living TV

Virgin Atlantic
4th Feb 2005, 17:03
Does any one know when Trolly Dollies about Excel Airways will be showing on Living TV?

XL ONE
5th Feb 2005, 16:35
As far as i can remember it is sometime in March. I'm sure things will go up at work soon saying when and will post the dates and times on here when they do.

c.r.m what is it
22nd Mar 2005, 09:20
Did everyone watch it, last night then? seems like they have quite a laugh at excel. And as, for that young lady looking for a man, are they all mad up in manchester, i throught she was gorgeous. Yer i know, going off subject there, but it had to be said.

heyblonde
22nd Mar 2005, 12:43
Its everynight at 7pm I believe

behind_the_second_midland
22nd Mar 2005, 19:02
...and its sh1t

A and C
23rd Mar 2005, 07:19
Rather a harsh comment I think , I know it's not TV that will win any awards but it seems to reflect life in the cabin and shows Excel as a fun place to work.

I am told that if the pax involved agree a medical emergency will be shown in one episode , I think after that is shown you and a lot of others may well have a lot more respect for the girls & boys in the cabin !.

behind_the_second_midland
23rd Mar 2005, 09:01
Nothing to do with respect. I know a number of Excel girls.

Program is still sh1t.

23rd Mar 2005, 09:10
Those two looking for fellas can have my number:ok:

Can't imagine why they would even consider the stag do when there are plenty of great chaps sitting up the pointy end.

Each airline always has one or two bad apples that tarnish the reputation of all the others in the barrel. I don't know why but I regularly see lasses try to tame the 'rogues' and up getting hurt, when there are so many 'decent' chaps out there. I can't work it out?

Anway back to the show, don't lower your standards girls.

Evanelpus
23rd Mar 2005, 09:21
I tuned in last night to see 'Big Bird' as Tina Turner in the talent competition, ouch, she gave me nightmares!!

I agree with the previous poster, the dark haired hostie was lovely and shouldn't find it difficult getting a fella.....or is she just playing to the camera.

Is this on every night this week?

Dom Joly
23rd Mar 2005, 09:35
Oh how I wish we could get a factual programme about airline crews rather than a jazzed up TV special.

When they make a show about ambulance staff, you don't see them sat in the lay-by chatting about relationships for 45 mins. Sure it might happen but what we see is them speeding to a scene of an accident, we see there skill and we see the nitty-gritty of the job. This increases public perception and as a result we all have a lot of respect for them. The general public would also have a lot more respect for cabin crews if they saw half the c*#p that they have to put up with on a regular trip.

I would really like to see a programme that shows the stress and problems that go on behind the scenes. The show does not portray the relationship that the cabin crew play in the operation of the aircraft. Where is the communications between the redcap (dispatcher), the flight deck, the admin, briefings etc. We do not see the fear that some juniors have when a certain trainer is swapped onto their flight, we do not see them coming to work sick because they need the flight duty pay, where is the persistant smoking pax or the ones that you just can't please? We are all taught about CRM at least once a year but in these shows you never really get to see it.

I have respect for the crews on the series but blame the editors and producers who have extracted the real truth behind cabin crew duties and made it in to playground humour.

Is the crew pairings especially set-up for the show? My crews, on average get to fly with one another once every 3 months if they are lucky. Is this how it works at Excel or is this a case of the show choosing and pairing people up who perform well on the TV?

PS Virgin Atlantic you might like to add an 'E' in Trolly in the thread title, just so we don't get a thread duplication. When I recently searched for Trolley Dollies it didn't show this thread???

jbird11
23rd Mar 2005, 09:46
WELL SAID DOM JOLY:ok:

crewboi83
24th Mar 2005, 12:27
Yeah well done Dom Jolly!!!
I totally agree... they dont show the nitty gritty, all the Excel flights up to now have very few passengers on, so the crew get to take their time and talk to the passengers. It dosn't show the flight when its full on a bloody night PMI or DLM does it? When half the plane is pi**ed and roudy!
It dosn't show the delays, the greif we get off passengers or anything. Its totally glammed up
Oh and it Brian bloody Dowling calls Funchal "SPAIN" one more time I'm going to chuck something at the TV ITS PORTUGAL YOU FOOL!!!!

DELTABOY
25th Mar 2005, 09:57
Having worked for XLA, I can't imagine what else they & there crews could bring to stimulate tele viewers. I think most the joe public have seen enough of what go's on in the hectic aviation world with the easyjet & LHR Airport series, oh & don't forget we've had the nausea of 'Holiday Airline' with Britannia & Monarch at Manchester showing their capers & what happens with a plane full of pissed up northerners in a 24 hrs delay situation ,....mmm funny why its always up North.....more characters game for a 'laf' I suppose.
I agree with the last few posts, I don't really believe anyone wants to sit through a programme full of lonely, desperate female flight attendants inanely wittering on about their personal lives. If anything I think programmes like this show up the boredom & dross fellow cabin crew have to sit through especially on those long flights sitting on a bar box in the rear galley.....Dreadful! :rolleyes:

Pandora's Box
25th Mar 2005, 15:07
DELTABOY

Did you get sacked from XLA by any chance..... just wondering because of you attitude, especially against Northerners.

Being a northerner myself, It was'nt a very nice comment :{ good job you were based darn sarf so you dint av out to do with us "pi$$ed" up northerners.

Anyway, back to the subject... I agree, it's a load of crap and is actually embarassing. I thought the whole idea of this programme was to show an insight of the job, now all pax think we do is chat up the male punters and then go home with a few phone no.

Good it's so embarassing...take it off air now :O :O

DELTABOY
26th Mar 2005, 10:56
No love, I wasn't sacked, decided after many years of flying to give it up & try something totally different.
Certainly did not intend to cause offense to northerners, infact they were probably the most pleasant & appreciative pax we carried rather than the general preciousness & darn right rudeness of our LGW punters. It was said very much tongue in cheek.:D

cessna l plate
26th Mar 2005, 12:24
Just as a matter of interest, and a bit of thread creep to boot, I've been told that one of the "stars" of the show is learning to fly, rumour has it at LPL, any further info appreciated as I fly there!!

Thanks

Lite
29th Mar 2005, 09:20
I think the problem with showing an accurate portrayal of how cabin-crew lives are would be incredibly tedious to most of the general public, and I think that it would be only a few aviation nuts that would really watch it.

I thought when I saw the adverts for it, that it would be a fun-casual look at all that goes on in the world of flight attendants, but some of it is just quite painful to watch.

Like "Mile High" before it, all aviation shows will try & glam up the job to rake in the viewers. Anyone seen the NBC show "LAX"?

Just to inform, there is a show about the history of the flight attendant on five on friday called "Fly with me". Think its on around 10pm.

emmathestar
8th Apr 2005, 22:30
I work for excel and when i saw the series i was highly embarrassed, espec as some of the ground rules (major ones) were being broken! but i hear its getting better!!
i personally prefer 'airline'! but i guess thats a matter of opinion.

I was talking to the cabin services manager and she said that the producers, or whoever it is, sneaked cameras into one of excels partys, they were told it was not to be braodcast but was anyway! something like that!

I guess theres no such thing as bad publicity! or is there!;)

missali
10th Apr 2005, 16:27
Well i finally got a chance to see this and what a disappointment!! Ok so I have only seen two episodes so far but the two I have seen have offered me no insight whatsoever about what a 'trolly dolly' actually has to deal with on a day to day basis!!! The Christmas flight to lapland episode was really really dull! And I do find brian dowlings commentary equally as bad, he should stick to presenting the graveyard programmes on ITV!!!!

The best portrayal of cabin crew was on a series of Airport, following two Britannia new girls from training to flying!! And arron and the other guy were just hilarious

Lite
17th Apr 2005, 15:17
I managed, due to the joy of sky+, to see the entire series, and as I said earlier, some of the crew were truly cringe-worthy, but I think its good that the general public are able to see a different side to flight attendants. These sort of shows will always see crew members acting up for the cameras & trying to be the next thing for reality tv, but I have to say overall I enjoyed it. I didn't learn anything much new from it, although several friends who don't work in the industry began saying "do you really do that?".

I would watch another season, and think its great to see a new show that isn't to do with either hospitals or courtrooms! Plus, I thought there were one or two people on the show that weren't too bad to look at ...

A good headin
19th Apr 2005, 10:34
I think to say TD is sh1t is a bit harsh.

As Dom Joly says, it does shows the amount of crap that cabin crew have to put up with from pax. They take all the flak from the pax for things which are not usually their fault. eg crap food,flight delays,in flight film not working etc etc.

I would not fancy being stuck up at 35000ft for 10 hours with a load of whinging members of the public who think they know everything about sod all and all determined to get shedded.

When I have flown long haul, I always try and say thank you to the red eyed cabin crew, they do a good job with limited space and resources. Sure they might get a nice stopover, but there are also some pretty dire places out there too. Nice to see the humour and banter.

No I am not Cabin Crew before you reply, but a military air trafficker, so keep up the good work, you are appreciated whichever airline you fly.

PS. Only one whinge, stop blaming Air Traffic Control for the flight delays- we don't put all the those aircraft up there, your employers do! :ok:

Gillymac25
22nd Apr 2005, 21:48
I have to say Trolley Dollies was truly horrific! From the boring insights in to crews' tangled relationships to the 21st Birthday party in Man! Zzzzzzz........!!! Oh and the party in the Effingham Park Hotel! BORING!!!!

I used to work for Excel (a couple of years ago now) @ LGW and it wasn't the fun-loving, friendly place that the program portrays!!

I was an AP and had the misfortune to work with jobsworth Pursers who found it beneath them to talk to junior crew - what is that all about??????? (Oh and the horrible little trainer with bad breath and the constant innuendos to the male crew when he was supposed to be carrying out a check flight - highly professional - NOT!!). I was ok - I was kinda in the middle but that's not the point!! Fortunately I got a job with another Charter as a Purser and decided to be the opposite of the Pursers at Excel!! Just don't understand why Excel would want the airline to be shown the way it is on this awful program?

Now two of my best friends are there (so I have to watch what I'm saying) but they love it. I suppose it just depends on your personality??!! I couldn't handle the out and out bitchyness - and that includes the guys!

As for Brian Dowling - can someone please get him a map or at least explain that Paphos is in CYPRUS!!!!!

Hope there's not another series of this - Excel would be better spending their money on their crews and their product!