PDA

View Full Version : Polar for sale ....

Heilhaavir
4th Feb 2005, 13:49
Hi all,

I am looking for a link to an article that was supposedly published on Feb 1st or 2nd in NT (Nieuws Transport) in the Netherlands and titled "Polar Air Cargo for sale: het klinkt logisch".

Any flying dutchmen willing to help me find it?

joetommy
4th Feb 2005, 15:33
I don't believe it.

Your buddy Joe.

Heilhaavir
4th Feb 2005, 17:09
Hello buddy Joe :)
What don't you believe that Polar is for sale or that there is an article about Polar being for sale??
I know the article exists under the title i mentioned above and am curious about the content of the article.
Would really appreciate a link or the paper/magazine itself. If it is only available as a hard copy I will pay for it as well as the shipping costs!!
I can be reached directly at [email protected]
Thanks in advance for any help guys & gals

Heilhaavir
5th Feb 2005, 04:37
Well buddy Joe,
someone was kind enough to send me that article in a pdf file, contact me if you want it. Wether it is true or not, that's another story, but you'll rarely find smoke without a fire... (Page 21 of the Nieuwsbald Transport dated Feb 2nd/05, by John Vansleijen)

happyflyinglear
5th Feb 2005, 06:07
So what did the article say? any chance you can post it.
Thanks!

Heilhaavir
5th Feb 2005, 16:02
Yes I can happyflying :)
I have the original article in a pdf file but do not know how to post it here, if you want it email me.
Keep in mind that this is only a translation of the author's analysis that was sent to me and could not be 100% accurate.

"Polar Air Cargo for sale: it sounds logical"

Polar Air is the cargo division of Atlas Air. Rumor is that Atlas wants to get rid of Polar Air cargo. Last year they moved from an airport in Belgium to Amsterdam, which could be a strategy to make it more attractive to potential buyers, being Amsterdam the 3rd cargo airport in Europe.

Atlas was almost bankrupt last year, and the rumor is that they have contacted several parties to offer the airline.

One of the possibilities will be Deutsche Post, since they are looking for an airline or partner that has Boeing 747; Polar has that, and Lufthansa Cargo just got rid of all of them.

The Germans (Deutshe Post) would also acquire important routes and entrances to the USA.

Other interested party would be Fedex, because they are looking to expand in air cargo. UPS is not interest and that is kind of strange.

The reasons why Atlas wants to sell Polar:

1) They can use the money (they were almost bankrupt)
2) The cargo activities of Polar are in conflict with the commercial lease activities of Atlas Air (competition in between the same company). Atlas has been warned about this bad combination by economists, so it seems logical that they want to fix this.

Whatever happens is uncertain, especially because most banks are very careful before they finance anything related to the airline industry.

411A
6th Feb 2005, 14:48
Yep, sure did, just a few months ago.
Polar is indeed for sale but any potential purchaser will need to look closly at the balance sheet...which ain't good, at all.

And yes, we have had a peek, in a 'round about way.

Debt service and cash flow to service same are problems that need to be fixed...big time.

Several parties have passed on this proposal...with good reason.

AirYard
8th Feb 2005, 14:54
Scheduled service moved last year from LGG to AMS.

promised 24 flights. Now the staff are there, they have cancelled most of the flights and they are now down to 7 rotations a week.

Lot of stations now longer being served.

Sounds like Atlas will use the slots at AMS for their emirates deals, and just get rid of Polar all together.

On the other hand, isn't polar the only reason they can now go into NRT?

joetommy
9th Feb 2005, 12:15
Call up the guy that wrote the article. Ask him some of your questions.......JOE

ALLDAYDELI
9th Feb 2005, 14:41
So why did PO canx all the fequencies ex-AMS down to 7 then?
Poor market conditions, too much competion or strategic uses for other "Atlas" partner carriers??

Heilhaavir
13th Feb 2005, 05:46
Questions about what Joe???

blackbaron
13th Feb 2005, 11:43
where is the article? figured it would have beenposted by now

Heilhaavir
13th Feb 2005, 15:54
Blackbaron,
don't take this the wrong way but if you have gone through this thread you might have noticed that in my answer to Happyflyinggear I mentioned that I did not know how to post a pdf file onthis board and that one was welcome to email me directly to get the original article (in dutch). Many have done so and have received it. You are welcome to do so as well :O

Cheerios