PDA

View Full Version : So, HOW long have YOU been looking?

BenH
4th Feb 2005, 08:50
I apologise if something similar has been posted on here before. I have to admit I couldn’t find a similar post, so here goes.
I, along with probably hundreds/thousands (delete as applicable!) have dreamed of becoming commercial pilots since I was a child.
I have my Class 1 medical ticked off, but have been deliberating about starting my ground school/flight school for over 2 years now because of:
a) My age will be a big hindrance (I am now 39)
b) Leaving a well paid but soul destroying job that pays my family’s mortgage
c) What seems to be the dearth of any jobs for low houred pilots once qualified.
d) The deterioration of the T&Cs

It would be interesting to find out how many Pprune wannabees there are with a fATPL and who are STILL looking for that elusive first flying job. It would be helpful if you could post your total flying hours, age, where & when they trained etc & how long one has been waiting.

It will be quite enlightening for us all, and enable others to judge whether or not they can afford to give up existing careers for something so unpredictable and uncertain as life in the rhs. Not to mention the expense and sacrifices made to get that fATPL.

I hope I don’t get attacked by anyone for asking these questions...

wobblyprop
4th Feb 2005, 08:54
finished CPL/IR in June 2003.
Now 28 with about 320hours TT
Just secured a job on the 757 and I'm not paying for my rating.

MJR
4th Feb 2005, 09:15
Ben

You sound like me,

I'm 39, fATPL for nearly 3 years and 900 hours mostly instruction. I have sent over 120 CV's and countless on-line applications.

Waiting and stressing over finding that first job is much harder than any aspect of the training. I'm not sure, if I had known it was going to be this difficult whether I would have started in the first place. But then I have always been an optimist or completely stupid, take your pick. Like the lottery you have got to be in it to win it!

So go ahead and do it, but with your eyes open.

cheers

MJR

BenH
4th Feb 2005, 09:31
Thanks for your replies guys.
MJR, where are you instructing ? I was tempted to go down that route, and just hope to get some serious networking done to try and get a job. If the pay was ok I would probably be happy instructing all the time, but I imagine that is not the case.
Best of luck in your search. It must be so demoralising..

buzzc152
4th Feb 2005, 09:40
Finished CPL/IR in Nov 04 (after starting out in 2001). 260 ish hrs. 28 next month. Hopefully on the verge of securing a summer job flying single engine light a/c.

Flying Farmer
4th Feb 2005, 10:35
Finished CPL/IR March 2002 added FI rating July 2002.

Now >1000 hours holding down a weekend instructing position and freelance RHS for an air taxi company. 43 this month and still hopeful of a "proper" job soon, meaning one that pays the bills.

Still trying to keep the faith but at times it is difficult. Better times on the way? Let’s hope so.

FF

Baron buzz
4th Feb 2005, 14:51
As like so many others - have 280tt, passed IR September 2004. Strangely, that all elusive first job has not arrived just yet! From what it seems, there are many more people ahead of me in terms of how long they have been waiting!

carbonfibre
4th Feb 2005, 16:10
Hi

Just turned 38 , CPL in 2002 held off on the rest until June 2004 when i got the elusive IR, I have 315 hrs TT, no success with the jobs, but not giving up hope just yet, MCC this month then onto an FI rating if no whiff of an interview, then maybe some weekend instructing and who knows someone may give me that dream job in a Turbo prop, yes i did say turbo prop

There may not be a job at the end but the satisfaction is all there

Good luck

:ok:

sk4644
4th Feb 2005, 16:21
I finished IR in October 2004 and went on to do MCC in November 2004. Have 280 TT and everytime I start to feel sorry for myself I think of those guys who have been waiting years with no job offers and that snaps me out of it! Chose the modular route and so far none of my classmates have jobs. Unfortunately I've heard of quite a few Integrated guys who have landed jobs straight out of training. I'm only 22 and I desperately want to fly turboprops, not jets, in fact the King Air would be my dream!! :D

Crashlanding
4th Feb 2005, 18:49
I finished in june 2003, did my MCC in june 2003.

Still no job and afraid this wont look so good for most.

I was a sponsered cadet, half of my fees have been paid.

Company had a year to get us a job or forfit there cost, guess what they have forfit last year.

EDIT
Sorry
28 turning 29 this april, about 300 TT, about 100 multi.

ME/IR has been kept current

CPTVOR
4th Feb 2005, 19:09
Finished CPL/Multi IR June 2003 and was determined to find that elusive first job. I sent out 400 CV's, mostly to corporate operators, all over Europe and eventually got lucky. Left the UK in Aug 2003 for a small Med Island and spent 12 months being at the beck and call of a one captain organisation that had me on a 24/7 standby system. No days off, no leave, no roster, no way of knowing when the next flight was going to be etc etc. It was certainly not what I expected but at least I was flying. Or was I? Out of 360 hrs in the first 12 months, I was actually 'allowed' at the controls for 23 of those hours. After 12 months enough was enough and I left with a huge type rating debt and no guarentee of any work back in the UK.
Im 40 now, have 655TT with 350 jet, EFIS, FMS etc time and am getting as many rejections now as when I had 300 hrs.
I cant stay unemployed any longer so have decided to look for a 'Normal' job and see what comes up.
The 12 months I had in the right hand seat were great and I dream of being there again but realism has taken hold and the reality seems to be that its going to be a long and painfull process to get back there.

moku
4th Feb 2005, 22:24
I am 35. Finished my JAR CPL/IR in October 03 and I have just been given a start date.

One Happy Moku!

Moku.

offspring
5th Feb 2005, 08:51
43 years old. Did CPL IR in 2000.

Have only managed to secure low paid Multi Engine Piston work since.

Now have ATPL, MCC perf A 3000tt and 2000 Multi command on commercial operations SPIFR.
Sent out over 100 applications to airlines. They are just not interested in experienced piston pilots.

FougaMagister
5th Feb 2005, 13:05
35, Modular (back-to-back) route, IR passed dec.2002, MCC done Jan.2003, 300+ applications sent Europe- and world-wide, about 90-95 answers so far, no luck yet.

Since MCC, worked as Cabin Crew, then since last year as Flight Dispatcher. Does it help? Not really

Piltdown Man
5th Feb 2005, 13:38
Started when I was 34, UK licence issued two years later. Then worked a day labourer, office scribbly, road sweeper earning pennies (certainly couldn't afford a mortgage, kids etc.) and then, via a friend, got a fill-in job doing aerial photography (AeroFilms - lovely people, are they still trading? I hope so!) in a 172. Then got my first real job flying Jetstream 31s working for a brilliant Chief Pilot but ***t of an MD - after two years of looking! It then took another two years to get into a company with any real prospects - fortunately working most of the time on J31's. This took place between 1989 and 1996. It appears that things haven't changed much.

To be real, you should allow a similar amount of time and accept that you may never get a proper return on your investment. Also, when finally employed, you are going to have to scrimp and save to firstly clear debt and then to save for a reasonable pension. I'd also suggest that you must have 100% support from the missus as well - or it aint going to work!

Getting the licence and the qualifications is the easy bit. It's snagging the job job which needs that long haul effort and cash.

Piltdown Man
6th Feb 2005, 08:03
Stay in your current job and take up competion gliding or aerobatics. Real fun flying with purpose (your own pleasure!) and you won't have to waste too much time and effort getting there!

:O

BenH
8th Feb 2005, 10:27
Thanks for all the replies....
Sounds even more depressing .. Really feel for all of you , esp the ones who are late starters and still haven't found that first job.

Like Puritan said, there is no guarantee...

On another topic, I wonder if the CAA have finally allowed Joe public to look at the figures relating to how many students get a job after achieving thier fATPL...

eugi
8th Feb 2005, 10:50
:ok:
hy everybody

i started atpl with 22years in january 2003, finished july 2004 got first job with 280TT in September 2004. working now in ops, in next 1 or 2 months typerating on gulfstream V, employment as F/O, company pays TR

seems to be the lucky way...
good luck to all others
cheers eugi

Tea White None
8th Feb 2005, 10:52
Well I'm 33. Graduated in Sept 04 (Integrated) and had my first interview and offer of a jet job in Nov 04. Held out a bit longer and got a job with a major international airline not long after. And I'm not the only oldie here as well, there are a couple more over 30 that joined with me.

We are all very fortunate and fully appreciate that. I wish you well in your continued efforts, whichever path you finally decide to walk.

Dodgy Dutchman
8th Feb 2005, 18:57
Now, what I would like to know:

How many of you all got partners?

Seems to me that for most guys it's gonna be a choice...

Or am I completely wrong?

highflyer27
8th Feb 2005, 19:12
I think this thread demonstrates the advantages of the CTC scheme and other sponsorships. Age limits on such courses are a limiting factor for many people unfortunately.

BenH
9th Feb 2005, 11:42
I have a wife and a 2 year old daughter... hence the reason for thorough research before diving ino the deep end and finding there is no life jacket.....

Phil Brockwell
9th Feb 2005, 17:08
Just want to recount a story.

Guy walked into BFC 6 years ago, without a PPL, worked on the ops desk, got a PPL, got a twin rating, worked his arse off, schmoozed with visiting bizjet pilots, built enough hours to fly commercial flights on PA34, then PA31, blagged a BE20 rating in return for writing huge amounts of ops procedures and taking the post holder position of Ops Manager. Just got his command on a Hawker 800XP for Netjets.

All the above took 6 years.

Now, he is fairly exceptional in his flying ability and work ethic, but it can be done!

Phil

Dodgy Dutchman
15th Feb 2005, 19:47
diving ino the deep end and finding there is no life jacket.....

...And you need a very long peace of rope :p

WindSheer
16th Feb 2005, 09:56
A mate of mine finished his training in 2003.
Started working for a UK airline straight after (ground based). Kept his head down for about 8 months until recruitment came up. Got an internal reccomendation for an interview and will be starting his 'bus' rating soon.

Well chuffed for him! Get yourselves inside the industry if you can - DEFINATELY helps.

:cool:

Goldfinger
16th Feb 2005, 12:25
Qualified 2002,

Paid for my own TP rating in 2004, job in 2005 (7 month wait).

Came good in the end, but still a very long and painful process. On reflection would rather have met the gimp on a bad night......no only kidding.

Goldfinger (+ seriously put upon partner, No kids that I know of)

Cipri
17th Feb 2005, 16:57
In my case i´m 23, JAR FATPL, MCC, 1000 tt out which 830 on ME. I have a job flying a twin piston, but after sending thousands of applications all over the place, I presume that my chances of finding Turbo prop or jet job are still very slim, so i´ll keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck 2 u all

ML Handler
20th Feb 2005, 12:04
Got licence Dec 2002, a bit of flying instuction, just been given Jet job start date, they pay for TR. 40, married. 1500hrs.

The mole
22nd Feb 2005, 08:29
ATPL/IR 1998.
1000 hr TT
FI (part time)
B737 SSTR (1 yr old)

>500 applications

Still looking but no flying job and I now develop property to pay for it all.

All I can say is buyer beware