PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection woes...

timmcat
3rd Feb 2005, 09:34
Further to my previous tale of woe, here is another.

Main PC - fitted with Belkin 54g wireless network card configured to be the gateway on an ad-hoc network (ie no router involved).

Second PC on same floor, around 10 - 15 metres away fitted with an identical card.

The signal strength on the link is usually 'low', but can be made to be 'good' (just) by repositioning the PC's slightly and varying the built in antenna position. The 'noise' level at this position is virtually nil.

I'm on a 256k broadband service, which is OK for my needs, but when performing a bandwidth test on PC2, it never goes above 90-95kbs, either upload or download. The same test performed on the host PC gives download speeds of around 240, and uploads around 200.

Any suggestions? Is the signal strength the problem? I don't really want to go to the expense of a couple of external aerials if that is not the core issue.

Toxteth O'Grady
3rd Feb 2005, 18:49
I doubt it's the wifi that's the problem. Your 54g will run at 54 Mbps which is over 200 times faster than your 256 kbps internet connection.

When you say speed test are you testing speed to the internet using something like the ADSL Guide website Speed Tester?

If you want to test the bandwidth of your LAN, i.e. your wireless connection speed there's no point using an internet connection tester as your intranet speeds will always be several orders of magnitude faster.

To test your PC to PC connection you could transfer a very large file from one machine to the other, manually time it and then do the math. Alternatively you could use the Network Bandwidth Benchmark Test in SiSoft Sandra.

I think you'll find you are OK if you do these tests. You could also run the Windows Network Diagnostics in System Information.

I suspect your slow download speeds are due to the MTU and RWIN registry values in PC 2.

If you're not sure how to tweak these, post back (with the results of any of the above that you've run).

:cool:

TOG

timmcat
3rd Feb 2005, 22:00
Thanks TOG - I'm an advanced PC user but perhaps not that advanced! Yes, you are right - I've been using a couple of web based bandwidth testers. I've been preoccupied tonight (daughter with minor injury at local hospital) so I'll give your tests a try tomorrow and post back.

Keef
3rd Feb 2005, 22:31
I had awful trouble, when I set up number 1 daughter with a wireless network. It just would NOT do what it should.

Then someone suggested dumping the Belkin kit and going for another brand. Problem solved. I don't know if Belkin is your problem, but I know of three people whose WiFi problems went away...

timmcat
5th Feb 2005, 21:30
Guys - you both have really helped.

Tried a file transfer last night and the speed was pathetic.

Decided drastic action was warranted and visited PCworld this morning and returned the wireless cards for a refund. Hopped across the road to Maplins, bought a couple of cards branded by a manufacturer I have never heard of - installed and everything is as fast as it should be.

Thanks again TOG and Keef.

jimgriff
5th Feb 2005, 21:35
Have just installed a Belkin wireless thingy. Works fine and fast.

until.....
I tried to install the 64 bit security stuff and nothing works....

Take of security stuff, works fine!!!!

Keef
5th Feb 2005, 23:33
Same answer, I reckon. The security works just fine on my and my daughter's networks. Cheapo 802.11b cards of no known branding.

Belkin didn't.