PDA

View Full Version : Obscene

The Resistance
19th Feb 2001, 16:50
I ask all my A-scale colleagues......, 'How are you going to react when the "fairly negotiated pay cut" is implemented again this June....? As the title of this thread implies, the abuse of our long-serving, professional and (previously) loyal aircrew is obscene, and a travesty of proper man-management. The pathalogical dislike of aircrew by our MD, and other Swire managers is now reaching the point where the very integrity of our operation is being affected. The picture of 'Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burns' comes to mind. CC is having a deliterious effect on the operation, and we need to focus and apply our efforts even further in this cause. What possible reason does any one of us have to help a group of individuals who not only have no respect for us, but actully treat us and our families with total and utter contempt. They created the conditions and circumstance that we now labour under, and then gnash their teeth at us when we react accordingly. Pathetic. Make sure you let this management know through your actions and complete lack of co-operation just how you feel about the 3rd of the 'fairly negotiated' paycuts....! Fight on.

mngmt mole
19th Feb 2001, 17:07
Great post Resistance. As a former member of our management, I can only be ashamed of what they have done to this once great airline. The current management mindset is something to behold; 'blame everyone for everything, admit nothing, listen to no one, continue blindly on the road to ruin'. The arrogance and stupidity of the people who have the responsibility to represent the aircrew and their issues of concern is truly saddening to behold. Could we have a more useless group of sycophants.....I doubt it. Everyone of them willing to sell every moral fibre they possess for the chance of a bigger provident fund payout...! You will certainly get your reward in the next life, I assure you. The best day of my career was the day I resigned from their corrupt and malignant empire. Over on 'Rumours and News', there is an interesting thread discussing the impact that aircrew can have on the bottom line. I have cut and pasted several of the most pertinent postings for review. Don't let up on CC, it is working and the operation is crumbling. It is the ONLY way we will ever force these incompetent individuals out. Remember, we all have only this one career, and we better damn well do what is necessary to maximise it's value. You owe it to yourselves, and your families.

pilot survey
Pilots do play a significant role in airline economics, but it may be hard to quantify.
Some areas;
Fuel useage, by flying technique and planning( tankering, aircraft cg,speed and altitude selection, climb and descent planning,etc,etc). Perhaps as much as 5% between the worst case and best case.
Knowledge of aircraft systems, so that they know what is going on and how to report defects to maintenance, when to go and when not to.

Knowledge of rules and regulations, so that in tight situations, they can choose cost effective options, e.g. ( but by no means limited to) weather minima, fuel reserves, alternates, flight and duty limits,etc,etc.
Experience is a very useful factor in decision making, knowing where to get info, which airport to divert to(crowding, passenger handling, maintenance support,etc,etc) are all things that cannot be learned in books, but can cost big time if the wrong decision is made.

Even day to day handling of aircraft has an effect on maintenance costs.
Rapid taxi costs brakes and tyres, and steering and undercarriage wear. Sudden power changes and using more power than necessary cause increased powerplant deterioration. Extending flaps, gear, or other devices at the maximum end of their operating envelope means extra strain, and this shows up in overhaul costs.

Nothing is for free, and aircraft are notoriously expensive toys. How you play with them makes a big difference.

On the PR side, pilots can have a great influence on passenger perceptions in their use of PA, and this all redounds to the bottom line.

So, pilot survey, pilots have a significant effect on the bottom line, but not many managers are smart enough to realise how much, because it is not obvious. Our friend Herb at SouthWest is probably one of the best to consult on this.

Nice words ClearDirect. May I add that we smooth-flow the operation by covering for poor coordination (fuel loads, ETOPS preflight inspection requirements, cabin requirements, etc). An example: We have a jet with no APU. The paperwork clearly states same, yet on the walkaround there is no start cart. I walk over to Ops and start asking around, eventually talking to the people that will coordinate what we need. This takes time, and I very well could have simply returned to the cockpit to do the FMS programming. Then at push, when they ask if we are ready, we explain that we need a start cart. This would delay us easily 10-15 minutes, which in turn will delay the next departure, etc. While it's not part of the job description, from experience we know to check on items that will delay us. Mgt does not see this, or the many other things we do to make sure our aspect of the operation runs trouble free. What they see is that it just gets done..........for now. Happy employees (all) will ensure a well run operation.

Wise words mate! We don't fly no loss would also apply in some cases! The capacity of some pilots to reduce profitability is quite remarkable. Any company will tell you that plotting technical delays against pilots over time will show a clear correlation. At one end you will find the risk takers who bend the rules, often through misplaced loyalty, sometimes through bravado, and at the other the compulsive snaggers whose motivation is more complex. There is nothing more expensive than an accident. Is it safe? Is it legal? If the answer is yes to both we'll go.
The pilot force can effect profitability profoundly because they are themselves a direct cost. Their agreement for service will inluence the cost as much if not more than actual salary levels. This is particlarly true in terms of flexible working practices. However, there is a balance that needs to be found between flexibility for the company and lifestyle for the workforce. A happy and stable pilot force can work wonders while a group of disillusioned bitter guys flying for you while they look for a better deal elsewhere is a cost nightmare. Some companies never seem to work that one out. I would love to see the results of your work. e-mail coming!

As a student of business, i would assume u may have studied Human resources management, if so u would realise that in order for an organisation to achieve goals and objectives (profitability), the members of the organisation must be motivated. There are a number of theories of human motivation, all applicable to organisations of people incl. airlines. In an airline, the sub-groups (pilots, engineers etc) will affect the operation/profitability of that section of the organisation to which they have a direct influence thereby affecting the entire organisations profitability. The degree of positive influence (profit) and negetive influence (loss) will be, generally, aligned with the degree of motivation of that sub-group.

In other words, if the pilots are pissed off, the plane gets abused, the departure times are not met and decisions left to the pilots which could save or lose money, will depend on how the pilots feel that particular day....if the company's upset them they'll upset the company.

I think maybe Harry Wragg might be adversely affecting the profitability of his/her airline!!.

Flight Safety
Short list of some parameters that I (we?) would like to see in our managers.
1.Honesty
2.Integrity
3.Ability to listen and understand what is being said.
4.Intelligence.
5.Common sense(does not necessarily follow from 4.)
6. The ability to recognise problems and figure out solutions, and implement and follow up said solutions.
7.Willingness to "go to bat" for subordinates when appropriate.
8. Dependability, to be available when needed.
9. Positive outlook with sense of humour.
10.The ability to accept constructive criticism without becoming hurt, angry, or vindictive.
There you have my (our?) wish list.
I am sure that others will be able to improve and expand on it.
I know this is not the list of "things for management to do", because the situation varies from company to company, but if a manager conforms to this wish list, he will have covered most of the bases, and will iron out most of the problems in the natural course of things.

If u want to know how to successfully manage an airline, consult a compatriate (assuming you are of USA origin )of yours, a Mr Gordon Bethune, of turning around Continental fame.

What do I want from the management?
1. My money!
2. My time off!
3. My leave!
4. Their loyalty.
5. Their support.
6. Their common sense.
7. Free jump seat rides.
In return they get a motivated and passenger friendly pilot who makes an optimum contribution to the bottom line. Every little helps, in both directions!

Well, if the pilots are pi$$ed off by the managements, we can always do "low-drag approaches" (the ones where you come in very low and dragging it all the way in).
By that I don't think the airline will be scoring big anytime soon in the "profitability" league.

Any company that is fantastically porfitable today by squeezing and screwing its staffs will be queueing for chapter-11 tomorrow; After all, unhappy staffs NEVER care about the company. A bit like killing the hen now to have a feast and foregoing all future eggs production

canuck revenger
19th Feb 2001, 17:47
I have quietly waited for a sign of common-sense from our management. From the increasing abuses (..B-scale extendees,freighter flying conditions for temp basings, abusive rostering, arrogant responses to legitimate questions, vindicitive treatment of individuals, etc...), to the lack of fairness towards the A-scale pay cuts, particularly in light of the record profits being realised (if the paycuts were justified on the basis of 'financial peril'.....then what justifies them now...?), this management seems hell-bent on riding the operation into the ground. I will NOT accept another paycut....do you hear me Nick? Your attack on us was malicious and brutal.....and the shoe is now on the other foot. I and many of my colleagues are well resolved to express our EXTREME displeasure should the next pay cut go through. I assure you that to call our bluff will result in unmitigated chaos. You well know that the real reasons for the paycuts was a pathalogical dislike and envy of the aircrew by the Swire managment, and you chose to attack the very staff who have given this airline it's enviable safety record, loyalty and customer reputation. Well, you will now reap what you have sowed. Go ahead and let the pay cut proceed as planned. You will live with the consequences. Don't make the mistake of thinking we are toothless.....becuase, like me, many of us have been biding our time....and our patience is at an end. Welcome to Hell Nick.

Thrust
20th Feb 2001, 04:18
Go ahead Nick.... "make my day"!!!!!!!!!!

mngmt mole
20th Feb 2001, 19:13
Gentlemen, another few 'truism's' regarding the reality of management....good OR bad.

Clearly if a business entity's sole revenue earning activity is to transport people or goods by air, then it follows that if Pilots, (which are a key resource for this business activity) are not performing at optimum efficiency, then revenue earning capacity is decreased commensurate with the degree of deviation from optimum performance. In this industry, where profit usually constitutes less then 10% of revenue, it is quite easily possible for a disenchanted Pilot group to cause significant damage to the bottom line by simply exersizing passive resistance. Many airline managers do not recognize that, apart from manipulating the controls of an aircraft, the Pilot is the ultimate manager of a large part of his employers assets. The Pilot is the one who ultimately blends all the contributions from the other participants in this industry into a more or less successfull combination. Often the Pilot finds him/her self dealing with the partners from other divisions in this business, such as maintenance, inflight, catering, dispatch in addition to dealing with ATC etc. Many times the Pilot makes up for shortcomings in hard- and software and deals with idiosyncracies of equipment.
The Pilot is the one manager in the company that cannot put off a difficult decision to another day and while we occasionally read or hear about some tragic error by some Pilot, the fact that we take more note of that then the average murder in a big City, is testament to the fact that most Pilots do an excellent job almost all of the time. Now, about which other human resource in your Company can you say that?
The employer that ignores the welfare of the Pilots, will pay dearly for that ignorance.

I could sum it up this way. Remember the golden rule, do unto others as would others do unto you? There's a variation of this rule that applies to management in business (any business). Do unto the employees as you would have them do unto the customers. That rule works both ways, good or bad.
It's paramount that management takes a very high interest in the welfare of the employees, or the employees will never have a high interest in either the company or the customers. The impact on the bottom line will naturally follow the attitude that management has towards the employees. I can't tell how strongly I feel about this.

------------------
Safe flying to you...

Right on, Fluffy.
We (cockpit crew), operate a multi-million dollar mobile revenue centre that has little tolerance for errors or time wasting. We have the final authority and ultimate responsibility in a more immediate way than any Chairman or CEO.
Our performance is minutely scrutinised by everyone from the (many) regulatory bodies, our supervisors, the operations audit staff, to the media and even the general public.

We (this time flight crew, including cabin staff) are the ones who manage the presentation of the integrated product of the organisation's work to the customer.
How we do this can have a big impact on customer satisfaction.

Those managers who do not realise the implications of this, fail to get optimum results from their staff, and the bottom line will reflect this

Copenhagen
I do not think that there is as much difference between large and small companies as you think. Small companies are more flexible and generally react more quickly where finance is not a problem.
Although a large company will usually have more resources to dedicate to supporting the pilot, it's very size limits flexibilty, and beaurocracy can clog up the works in the slightest deviation from the norm. And it is simply impossible to predict the outcome of the many variables that go into operating an aircraft.

So the pilots still end up tying up lots of lose ends.

Which is why "withdrawal of enthusiasm" and "work to rule" are such effective tools for getting management attention in all airlines, large or small.

With regards to your example of failure to turn up for work, somebody has to do the job, and whether it's someone you know or someone you don't know ,it still represents a cost to the company in that somebody has to be available to do the work.

had it
20th Feb 2001, 19:36
Re read mole's post and think very carefully about how his suggestions fit into our operation . Rough jerky taxying, max rate climbs, , rough handling all mount up and cost big time as well as losing passenger confidence. Every approach stabilised by 15nm flap and gear down roll to the end, long slow taxi back . There are so many things that can be done but are not being done. Maybe it's time to have a rethink.I know what I am going to be doing after my next pay cut, what are you going to be doing????
Personally I'm hoping that it comes to a head long before that . The only time we get their attention is when we park their shiny money makers. well it's time to go into the valet parking business boys the tips aren't great but then neither is my salary anymore!!!!!!!
Nigel it's time to act!!!!!

[This message has been edited by had it (edited 21 February 2001).]