PDA

View Full Version : QR LGW Flights- No British Crew!

homesick rae
1st Feb 2005, 14:42
Having just spent some time in the UK on business and spent 3 nights at the same hotel as the QR crew in LGW, the three crews that came in did not include any Brits!?

Maybe because they have all left, but it's pretty shabby really, considering they do at least try to have a language apeaker on the other routes.

Oh, and for the doubters, I did speak with the crew...this is not fiction at all!

Still, good to see, as always they are putting on a brave face and smiling regardless of the pressure they are under.

Cheers

HR

kumul1
1st Feb 2005, 17:33
What?... Nobody else speaks english in QR except the Brits?;)

homesick rae
1st Feb 2005, 19:17
Kumul,

You are a tad lost here mate.

I think you get my drift or maybe you are one of those people who are not British but speak perfect english?

Allow me to explain...

It is "usually" standard to have a British crew member onboard a London flight. Not just with QR, but other airlines like EK, GF etc...well at least in the good old days...

Same if it is a BKK flight you will have a Thai speaker...or is that too difficult to imagine?

And yes there are many nationalities who speak excellent English, just as I can speak French and Russian, but I do not believe for one minute that I can speak it better than the nationals.

:}

Cheers

HR

AVIACO
2nd Feb 2005, 09:21
I flew once on the QR LGW with British CSD - MM?

rsoman
2nd Feb 2005, 10:57
Many of the newsreaders I see in the BEeb TV news are of Srilankan/Indian and many other nationalities.

In my part of the world , we get to see a lot of experts on TV commentating on matters cricket, may of whom former ex cricketers from UK, puccah british without a doubt - but sorry to say their English is far from puccah! Many of their Asian counterparts working along side seem to do a better job of it!

Apparently the Beeb seems to agree as far as the news seems to be concerned!

HR- By the way Vaughan's predcessor was brn in Chennai, India of Indian parents! He didnt seem to have done a bad job of captaining a team full of locals - did he?

Left Coaster
2nd Feb 2005, 11:36
Well, I just don't know what to say about this one! Maybe nothing is best...

homesick rae
2nd Feb 2005, 12:13
Left Coaster, yes even I agree...it was started as a mere observation and is already heading in the wrong direction.

It was started by someone who has worked with multi national crew for many, many years and is by no means an attack on anyone regarding their English language capabilities.

EK, when they started the LGW routes, the tried to have a Brit in each class.

However, they went to DAC for long enough without any Bengali speakers.

Ok, I will rephrase this: Do you feel it is better to have a native language speaker on board or is there actually no real need?

RSO Man: Nobody is disputing other nationalities English speaking abilities...as for Cricket, sorry, never watch the game!

Maybe A300 Man or BKK Layover can comment.

Cheers

HR

ironbutt57
2nd Feb 2005, 13:06
lots of comments from folks who don't understand the post...yes it seems odd no British crew on a london flight...most airlines here strive to have at least one or two crewmembers that are natives of the destination..makes people feel more comfortable as they travel home...they are called "language speakers" although many of the crew regardless of nationality might speak the destination local language fluently, it is nice for pax to have "one of their own" to relate to when flying...particularly in the case of nervous flyers....

GLOC
2nd Feb 2005, 13:26
What Tripe!

In the modern world of globalisation and multiculturalism, having to have a "Native" crew member on board is ridiculous. If people are so worried about it then change airlines to their "native" carrier.

A lot of the locals in this part of the world in the professional environment are required to reach an extremely strict standard of English.

And lets face it, it is an Middle Eastern Airline and I would only expect to be flying with their crews!

:confused:

Pontious
2nd Feb 2005, 14:02
Homesick Rae

It's the same at EK. The last few UK flights I've done I'm the only native English speaker on board and I'm sat the other side of the flight deck door! Yet you'll find 3 UK crew on a BOM or KHI who can't speak a word of Hindi or Urdu.

Rsoman

Don't get too excited. The BBC's 'World' service you see is tailor-made for the Asia/Asian sub-continent viewer and on the domestic services, the high number of asian presenters was as a result of political pressure which, on the home front has been it's demise with the UK viewing public as a primary source of News.
As for 'commenting on the commentators', unfortunately you are not a native English speaker therefore some of your understanding of the finer workings of dialectual and colloquial English may not be exactly 'puccah'.
Many of England's finest cricketers such as Sir Fred Trueman, Boycott, Botham, Lloyd come from the Provinces and native English speakers understand them perfectly. Just wait until Vaughan, Hoggard, Harmison,Freddie Flintoff and others give up the 'leather and willow' to commentate.Then you will have a problem.

GLOC

You're a prat.

:ok:

mutt
2nd Feb 2005, 15:25
GLOC

having to have a "Native" crew member on board is ridiculous We employ Iranian Flight Attendants to operate flights to Iran and only Iran. They have 20 days OFF per month and zero layovers! The airline accepts this as there is a very real need to have Farsi speakers on-board the aircraft.

Mutt.

GLOC
2nd Feb 2005, 20:55
I too fly in this part of the sandpit and have been for 10 years, so the concept of locals on particular sectors is not new to me!

The point I am referring to is the originators concern that there is no "Brit" pilots (in this case "native" to the UK) or perhaps cabin crew member on a UK sector on a Middle East Airline! And why should there be, what language do you speak up there???

Quote from Pontious:

"Maybe because they have all left, but it's pretty shabby really, considering they do at least try to have a language apeaker on the other routes."

If I am not mistaken...we are all "language" speakers!

In addition to your example when flying to Iran, Emirates and most airlines in this region will do its best to ensure a cross section of cabin crews to cater for the local content on board, which is very understandable, but even in this case there is no need for the flight deck to be Farsi speaking on a trip to Tehran, I have managed to communcate with them quite effectively for the past 6 years!???

:*

homesick rae
2nd Feb 2005, 21:19
Gloc:

The quote was from me NOT Pontious and I am referring particularly to Cabin Crew here not Flight Deck!

The best example I can give is: where on a flight with EK to DAC via KHI, there were no Bengali speakers and we had 4 deportees going to DAC.

When we landed in KHI these guys were terrified as they did not know what was happening and nobody could speak their language. The flight was delayed until we somehow managed to reassure them using other pax to explain.

No need for Bengali speakers then???

It does not matter the nationality or route , my thread is a generalisation and I used recent experience as an example.

It is you that I think should get back in your box!

Cheers

HR

GLOC
2nd Feb 2005, 22:04
You are 100% correct, it was you and not Pontious so a very small apology to Pontious, after all he did lower the tone with his attempt at slagging. I will not edit my post I will simply take it like a man!

Now that you have clarified the fact that we are talking cabin crew then, yes I have to agree with you no end. It is essential for safety and service that there is a cross pollenisation of cultures and languages on international sectors.

rsoman
3rd Feb 2005, 09:46
HR

Please distinguish between no ENGLISH speakers and no Britishers on a flight. As long as the crew can speak English fluently, what is the problem?

Your DAC example is a different issue if as you said there were no local language speakers (native or otherwise) at all on board.
In my first QR flight which was ex TRV, I had this wonderful announcement that "THIS CREW SPEAKS BESIDES ENGLISH AND ARABIC, FRENCH, THAI AND HINDI". Now that is a real problem -nearly half the pax could understand only the local language(and for the uninitiated HINDI is not the native language for the whole of the subcontinent!). In case of emergencies , such situations can be much more disastrous than a flight to LGW staffed with Non British English speakers! "

I echo GLOC- All means have someone who speak the local language fluently But to insist that he/she should be "native" as well is carrying things too far ! May be the airlines can carry "Radio Five Live " or any of the countless others of its ilk in the IFE to satisfy those who crave the "finer workings of dialectual and colloquial English" as Pontious so eloquently put it.

Pontious
3rd Feb 2005, 16:53
To Homesick Rae

A very big 'Ta,Love!'

To Rsoman

NO-ONE can speak The Queen's English like an Englishman or Englishwoman. Being a "Breetish Passport Hulda" doesn't mean you are automatically a fluent English speaker.

To GLOC

And a very small 'Shukrahn' for your very small apology. I fear you may have your knickers in a twist over the originators original point. His concerns were about the lack of native English CABIN CREW not FLIGHT DECK but as always, stereotypical flight deck assuming it's about them.....I think you've been out in the sand too long. And I didn't attempt a 'slagging'. I succeeded.

To InFlight Service Heads all around the MidEast.

Try to follow PIA's lead and on a particular service have at least some Natives from the country you are operating to.

Edited due to sexual inaccurracies. A thousand apologies, Rae.

:ok:

homesick rae
3rd Feb 2005, 18:48
Pontious...

Ahem...her is a his...

Cheers

HR

apaddyinuk
6th Feb 2005, 10:59
There probably werent any UK/Irish language speakers on your flight as there are hardly any left....they dont like working for a strict Stallinist regime!

fourplay
11th Feb 2005, 09:10
Its like bashing your head against a brick wall!

It has always been customary to have several native Cabin crew on board when flying to/from the countries an airline services.

No English natives on a UK flight is outrageous.
Pax expect there to be!
And will vote with there feet.
Choice is on the way Middle East... Stand by.

popay
11th Feb 2005, 10:02
Dear home sick ray it’s a matter of fact that you are not with QR any more, therefore your information isn’t reliable. I was flying with native English speakers couple of times to LGW last time I flew with British and Australian girls to LGW. So you are just a layer and endangering our all position in QR. Get your head free of QR and concentrate on your present job.

A300Man
12th Feb 2005, 04:14
and Popay, get a dictionary. (or dictionery).

The opening post on this thread was just an observation. I concur with it in parts, whilst also confirming that I also have flown twice now on the QR service to LGW, and have had British crew onboard. On other occasions, there was not.

I have also flown several times to BKK, without a Thai speaker on board. And to India without an Hindi speaker..........

I don't really quite see how you have made the connection between Homsesick Rae's comments endangering your employment.

If you have been at QR for a while now, and if you are very much aware of what is going on around you, you will have realised by now that employment status at Qataria is not driven by the comments posted on a website by a former employee, but rather by the decisions cascaded by a certain gentlemen and his team.

Happy flying.

(and to add a very accurate postscript, if you review the posts made generally by Homesick Rae, you will note that the over-riding theme of those has been to congratulate and speak up on behalf of the hard working QR crew, and to commend them for doing an excellent job. Not once, as far as I can see, has he posted anything which would have compromised anyone's position, or led to their employment being unsecured. )

Hajj Man
12th Feb 2005, 04:54
A300man,

you have to relize that this Popay guy is a younge guy that is wet behind the ears still and seems to have a SERIOUS CHIP on his shoulder. His post here on the PPRUNE and his entire derogatory manner of answering post is way out of hand.

HM:ok:

homesick rae
12th Feb 2005, 07:00
A300 Man and Hajj Man,

Cheers for that.

To reiterate for the Doorak's benefit...I have just spent 3 nights in LGW at meetings and met up with some of my ex colleagues.

I CONFIRM that there were no British Cabin Crew on these flights. A shame really...as A300 Man points out..not just about UK flights but other destinations...no language speaker.

That is my post...nothing else.

And how the hell can I be a threat to anyone in QR?? Ha Ha Bloody Ha! Doorak should look closer to home!!!LOL!

It was nice to see Nuwan, Karima and Angela as well as Capt Ellamine again.

The guys and gals putting on a brave face and working hard as usual. I applaud them and always will!

Naz Drovaya

HR

popay
12th Feb 2005, 08:16
Yea homesick ray, sounds like somebody got pissed. I would be pissed to if I was you, but I would be pissed even more being a cabin crew working under your command. Wasn’t it you, who has tried to introduce the rule: British have only to fly to Britain and Indians to India and so on with the reason, that the third world countries are way to dangerous for Europeans.
Sounds a bit strange isn’t it?
Isn’t it where the conflict has started, and you got finally sacked?
I might be stupid, like you have described me, but I wouldn’t let you do it to me for sure.
Well, A 300 and Hajj Man once again you don’t have to speak to me if you don’t want to. I am for sure not insisting on that. You were the one, saying that the posts are read in the tower and that’s why I think the people there get pissed reading all this and this really doesn’t help us. I am sure that’s your intention homesick ray.
Now we turned it upside down I am the correct one and someone else is using bad words.
Take care.

homesick rae
12th Feb 2005, 14:32
Ehm sorry Popay but you are on my ignore list!

The magic of PMs eh?

Cheers

HR

apaddyinuk
12th Feb 2005, 14:45
Um....Been watching this one with interest and Popay really has made my week with his stupid scorned replies!!! Is it possible that you are one of those people regularly in the Welfare office getting your colleagues into **** just because you cant accept the fact that they are complaining about the airline which you think is fantastic? Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and if you have worked for other carriers before QR then your opinion is likely to be a very negative one!

popay
12th Feb 2005, 14:51
Yea homesick ray I am not interested in communicating with you either, but be sure whenever you post anything negative about QR I will be there saying that you don’t have a clue about what’s going on here.
Despite of the inability of some participants to tolerate different opinions and really read the content I will keep on doing this.
Ignore me as much as you want.

simply
12th Feb 2005, 23:52
sort of a cat fight, hey? perhaps showing a bit of respect would make the day?

a300man: "and Popay, get a dictionary. (or dictionery)", what kind of a comment is this? english is not everyone's native language!

homesick rae: i see your problem! have also seen you appear to have problems with people who are actually being happy at qr! things have actually changed, but are for sure far away from being perfect.

popay: enjoy your life and say hello to my x whenever you meet her! :ok:

simply

homesick rae
13th Feb 2005, 00:32
Simply..the best?Mmmm....

I know quite a few people personally that are "happy" at QR amongst the Cabin Crew....so long as they are left alone....

I know quite a few Flight Deck who are happy at QR and some otherwise.

You, just like that Russian chap, are barking up the wrong tree. I am delighted if people are happy at QR, however I cannot help being surprised! It would be great to see things change...one day!

I was happy at QR and was sad to leave. I loved Doha...bear in mind I had been there many times prior to QR...I had family living there.

We are all merely passing our comments and I will always wish the QR crew the best of luck. After all they all need it ...as one never knows...

This is no catfight. I have no interest in what that Russian chap has to say...He obviously believes he knows my identity!! Hee Hee...

He should worry about other things.

I wish you all the best...no pun intended.

Cheers

HR

simply
13th Feb 2005, 01:39
the one and only. simply the best! ;)

if you have no interest in what he's saying, why keep answering him? that also goes for the rest of you!

sure, he might be having the blast of his life and feeling this is definitely where to be. let him has his fun! i've got a few mates who have been and are presently with qr. some of them had a nightmare and some the times of their lives. but hey, it's the gulf. no obligations whatsoever! take it or leave it. there's nothing in between.

simply

A300Man
13th Feb 2005, 05:13
Simply (The Best)

You know it. Homesick knows it. I know it. If the gentleman in question continues to post in the manner that he is, then he is only doing himself harm in the long run, since favouritism at QR comes in the form of an Alpine Range - i.e. you are the top dog one day, and the management loves you - you are at the peak. 48 hours later, you are thrown into the deepest valley by the same people, without a rope to climb out.

I think - rather than ignoring him, and having his hours of fun, we are trying to make him wake up and smell the coffee. The sycophancy displayed is not necessarily a good thing.

Anyway - I will now quietly leave this thread and will now watch it from afar because, you are correct - continuing the debate with Popay is merely causing him harm, rather than helping him see sense.

Popay - as I have said in previous threads, my personal advice is to tone it down a bit and heed the advice given above. Continue to enjoy your flying and hope it all goes well for you. I admit to admiring your enthusiasm too. However, we've all been there and done that when it comes to QR - the Honeymoon period can be as long as you want it to be - but never think for a moment that your glorification of the Company on this forum will help you in any way to remain at one of the peaks for ever.

Keeping your head down and quietly getting on with it will, in the long run, provide greater security and satisfaction.

See ya! Happy discussions ahead!

knotaloud
13th Feb 2005, 05:15
I have seen him at work (popay). He doesn't smile, at least around me, so I wonder whether he's really as happy at QR as he makes out? Thankfully, I haven't had to fly with him. Of course, like many other incorrect assumptions and identifications here, he may think he has identified me?
And as his only form of debate is attack, I suggest that it is best to ignore him.

homesick rae
13th Feb 2005, 12:45
A300 Man, Hajj Man, Knotaloud:

Yes I agree, time to take a backseat. It appears that there is no point starting a thread with Popay around.

He has wrongly identified me as someone else and will only continue to attack as mentioned above.

We would all like to see QR grow as we are all or have been involved over the years. We would all like to see the crews happy, but we are realistic enough to realise that is a long shot.

I am just glad I never had the privilege to fly with Popay, because I too do not think he is that content with his little lot. I note that, according to his profile, he is now located in Europe!? Of course that MUST mean he actually THERE and NOT in Doha!;)

Cheers to all of you.

HR

simply
13th Feb 2005, 12:51
a300man: let him has his fun! he's probably old enough to take responsibility of his actions and any consequence that might arise.

knotaloud: and i have seen loads of crew from british airways not smiling. cathay pacific, emirates, gulf air, qantas... take your pick! maybe he doesn't need to smile to be happy? can't really see any logics here!

simply

popay
15th Feb 2005, 08:55
Simply,
Thank you very much. You are simply the best. I do realize where I am and that it can be over tomorrow, no illusions. I don’t say I am enjoying or not enjoying being here at QR, but I am saying I love my job, wherever I am. I just see it philosophical way “the grass is always greener on the other side of the river”. So it’s all in your hands what you do out your life.
But I also find it extremely amoral, form homesick ray, having enjoyed the life at QR, being happy here, got finally sacked for his own mistake. (If you noticed he never answered to my question why he has been sacked). Finally whenever he posts anything about QR it always has a negative smell and it’s clearly based on fact “he can’t get over it to be fired for his own mistake and he is on personal revenge trip against AAB” That’s on the other hand doesn’t reflect the real situation here at QR, doesn’t help us and doesn’t help people, playing with the idea to join QR.
And yes I clearly say it: “homesick ray be a man enough to accept the fact, that you are not a part of QR any more and stop making the impression you know what’s going on here.”
I don’t like people trying to fight when the fight is over.
For your information homesick ray I am German. I would be extremely surprised if you would be able to write at least 10% in German or Russian from what I have written to you in English.
Happy landing.

Hajj Man
15th Feb 2005, 09:31
Sorry to tell all of you here, this post really does not have any life left in it.

Popay has turned it into a stone throwing event and the original title of the post has long been forgotten here. I urge you to let this post die please and fall off the forum as it really seems to be going nowhere fast.

People are now starting to wonder if we are all ok here at QR. I think it is because Popay seems to be a bit of a confusion maker. Please lets stop fueling this idiots anger and move on with constuctive post that can help people understand what life is like here in QR or what life was like here moons ago. I will say that things here are changing all the time but the process is slow and some changes are good whilst others are bad.

Popay I urge you to keep quiet about things you have no idea about, listen to people that have been here longer than you a bit more, try to get along with the cabin crews and smile a bit at work so people can see how happy you are on and off work. As I have said before you are wet behind the ears still and have a lot of maturing to do in all the post here on PPRUNE about QR,Qatar, Qatar Airways.

For a while I thought I was the only one that you were seeming to make upset with your attitude but I see that many people here are a bit fed up with your tone on the post. CALM DOWN SON. I told you this very early on when you first came on the PPRUNE about QR. We accept that you are very pro company but you need to just stop all the derogative attitude to people please.

PLEASE LET THIS POST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

homesick rae
15th Feb 2005, 11:09
Hajj Man:

I agree totally, he is the only one who has gone completely off track and start hurtling stupid remarks at people instead of commenting on the theme of the thread.

And of course he seems to know so much about me so he must know what happened to me. LOL!!

I refuse to rise to the bait and hope that 4HP will now close this down or at least have a quiet word with the person in question. After all it is not the first time he has drifted from the subject to start personal attacks on fellow Ppruners.

Cheers

HR

popay
15th Feb 2005, 14:09
Dear Hajj Man,
I totally agree with you that it all degraded to personal attacks. I can assure you that I am not pro or Contra Company minded. The only thing I am interested in is the pay check at the end of the month and not to be worried about the financial situation of the company I am with.
My clearly and only preference in my life is my family.
Ok, here is my suggestion: let’s only speak about the topic “To join or not to join QR as a pilot” without discussion about personality of AAB or human rights of the cabin crew or whatsoever. Let’s stick to the object. I think that would be more helpful for the outsiders.
By the way I have asked you already 3 times, what do you think about a forum for QR pilots? You never replied. Be sure, I don’t have any problems with the cabin crew and I always enjoy working with my colleges.
You want to have constructive discussions, no problem, let’s do it, and otherwise I am not interested in teaching lesions. Sorry to disappoint you.
Here is another constructive suggestion, lets see where we going to end up this time.
Cheers.

simply
15th Feb 2005, 14:59
popay: i'm doing my best! :ok:

homesick rae: good suggestion! maybe it's about time all of you try to tone down a bit. after all,you are suppose to be professionals, aren't you?

but, one thing for definite. some of you (no names mentioned= are definitely treating others unfairly for expressing their opinions and feelings!

simply

Hajj Man
15th Feb 2005, 15:39
By the way I have asked you already 3 times, what do you think about a forum for QR pilots?

I really did not put any thought into a QR pilot forum here on PPRUNE.

Why dont you ask 4holerpoler and see what can be done and then let us all know?

Thank you for your question, sorry I did not answer you directly and earlier.

homesick rae
15th Feb 2005, 17:17
Simply, pots and kettles my friend...

If you look at the thread almost everyboday has stuck to it except one.

That individual spends more time trying to guess identities and use this as an excuse to slander other people on this thread.

He obviously has no idea who I am, yet he continues to be very presumptious in his evaluation of myself and his fellow Ppruners.

He, like all of us, is entitled to his opinions, but this is a thread about QR Cabin Crew and he has turned it into something else.

I am not replying to you to give Popay another opportunity to have a go...I am just trying to clarify my point to you. (Although no doubt he will!!)

You do not have to currently work for QR to reply to this thread or indeed start one! I spent long enough there and loved it in Doha. No need to harp on about the obvious problems, but it was still fun even if the company was poorly run.

What happened to me is no secret, and many on the M East Forums know me, however there are certain, well one, individual who thinks he knows and has wrongly inferred the actual reason as to why I left QR.

My interest will always remain as I have family working for the airline and as long as they are there, so am I!

Simply, for your info only this reply.

Like Ken Hoy, I do not expect nor wish a reply, but please feel free to PM me, then again you may then PM Popay eh?

All the best.

Cheers

HR

A300Man-2005
17th Feb 2005, 09:16
Using a 3-class A332 a lot to LGW these days, and it only ever operates a two class service. So, the twelve seats in front (and the entire cabin, in fact) are out of bounds. Used to be that J class pax could sit in those seats if it was a 2 class ops.

Oh, and still no British Crew either, Homesick.

A mate of mine is adamant that he was on a QR flight from LGW a couple of weeks back, and the aircraft stopped in Brussels, and picked up passengers.

Is this a new route that they have started? If so, I am surprised that even I don't know about that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A300-2005