PDA

View Full Version : Cost involved in hiring a Cessna

oliverpollard
1st Feb 2005, 12:24
Hi,
I intend to take my PPL this summer and once back home wondered how much it is to hire say a cessna 152 per hour including fuel and landing fees etc etc. ( my local aerodrome is Elstree).
Say for example i wanted to fly to shoram for example - how much would everything cost approx.
thanks

Frank Furillo
1st Feb 2005, 13:33
Oliver, most schools in England, charge by the hour wet, that is to say fuel is included and sometimes the first landing fee as well. Why don't you search a few on the web and see what you get offered. For example in Blackpool a C172 can be had for around £100 per hour, a C150 at a rival school cost £98 per hour!!! In Leeds a C150 can be had for £75 per hour. I am sure that you will find similar prices near yourself, it is just a matter of looking.
Good luck with your PPL.
FF

jamestkirk
1st Feb 2005, 14:21
Oliverpollard

If you get PPL training at c.£100 per hour, you are doing ok.

Remember not to be drawn in by glossy schools who say you get what you pay for.

I worked in flight operations for four years around that area.

If you want to travel a little further, I can recommend the Denham Pilot Centre. I knew them from a few years back and if they are the same people, then good.

Visit the schools and see ;

1. If they are interested in talking to you and not just a quick view round the aircraft/prices list and 'give us a call when your ready'.

2. That they have a few aircraft . a school with just one or two will normally get one of them going U/S on a staurday and leaving you nothing to do but read notams.

3. At least a couple full time instructors and not instructors who have full time jobs elsewhere with the possibility of time in the week to do some flying. having one or two instructors is not normally a problem but frequent changes can be a disadvantage and cost extra i learning different styles.

I fly from shoreham and all i can tell you is that from elstree it's about an hour plus £11.50 landing fee. YOu can private hire for about £85.oo inc.

The C152/172 is what i did my PPL on and found it easy to fly. I personally prefer the C172 to a PA28, but thats purely personal.

As said before. Pick a good flying day and drive round the local airfields and talk to students as well as the staff. Any school who is worth it's salt will not mind you doing this.

Good luck with it

JTK

Frank Furillo
1st Feb 2005, 14:50
Sorry Captain i meant to say that all the rates i found were solo hire.
FF

Foz2
2nd Feb 2005, 08:45
I believe Firecrest at Elstree are pretty reasonable price wise. (www.firecrestaviation.com) . Also the Pilot centre at Denham (www.egld.com/tpc) and if you wanted to go the other way Stapleford Flight Centre (www.flysfc.com) - you can hire a C152 for as little as £65 (solo) per hour wet (no landing fees).

If you can manage the journey, I would advise Stapleford - a very good training airfield (no ridiculous circuits like Elstree and no moody controllers!) It is also very close to the training area which means you'll get more training into the one hour. They also have shed loads of 152's (15 i think!!)

Best of luck with your training

Foz

ScotsRocket
2nd Feb 2005, 10:18
oliverpollard,

check your PM's, I've sent one re. doing your PPL abroad

Cheers, ScotsRocket