PDA

View Full Version : Qantas's management revamp (Crikey)

Wirraway
1st Feb 2005, 01:45
crikey.com.au

Qantas's management revamp
By Pemberton Strong
01 February 2005

A new reporting structure at Qantas sees Peter Gregg and John Borghetti emerge as the new successors for Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon.

Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon has made a sweeping revamp of the airline's senior management, setting up two senior executives to succeed him when he retires at the end of 2006.

Dixon was re-appointed for another two years last year by the board when it became apparent that there was no succession plan in place. The absence of a viable succession plan represented a failure on the part of the Qantas board and chairman, "Dame" Margaret Jackson.

Dixon was to have retired at the end of 2004, but the board was forced to extend his contract by two years, with no additional superannuation, and annual payments and bonuses totalling $6 million.

But within a week of returning from the launch of the Airbus A 380 and then appearing at some aviation seminars in Singapore, Dixon has abandoned the convoluted, McKinsey and Co-inspired a 17 person reporting structure for his senior managers.

This is the old Executive Structure, but from Monday he has desolved the whole lot into basically two people and set them up as contenders to replace him, Chief Financial Officer Peter Gregg and John Borghetti, the executive General Manager of Qantas Airlines.

And of the two, Peter Gregg, an abrasive, driving executive, is better placed because he is one of two executive members of the Qantas board while John Borghetti is not.

But Gregg has limited, if non-existent line and operational management and Qantas insiders say the revamp by Dixon will give his CFO some responsibility in the operational area.

This is being done to try and help him overcome what is perceived as a major weakness.

For example Dixon said in his announcement that, "Fleet and network issues that currently report to Paul Edwards will now report to Peter Gregg and John Borghetti".

Because of his board position, Gregg is perceived inside Qantas as being superior to Borghetti.

Borghetti, on the other hand, needs some financial skills, but he has got those from running the so-called main airline, which gives him far more operational responsibilities than Gregg has had.

Gregg also gets responsibility for " fleet and long term network development", while Borghetti also continues to chair the key operational committee in senior management, the Group Flying Committee which oversees and co-ordinates all the group airlines, Qantas, Qantaslink, Jetstar, Australian Airlines.

Borghetti gets more operational responsibilities under the issue. For example, he gets "responsibility for network management", possibly the most important day to day position apart from the CEO and CFO. Borghetti will assume control of "schedules and the efficient use of aircraft up to two years".

That means all the new Boeings Airbuses and the smaller newer planes at QantasLink (but effectively not Australian Airlines which is using much older Boeing 767s).

One of the more intriguing changes is the effective demotion of Fiona Balfour, the high profile chief information officer of Qantas. She will now report to Gregg, and that makes IT a prime candidate for cost cutting. But Paul Edwards is the big loser from the changes.

Under the old structure he was a direct report and a possible outsider to replace Dixon. Now he has been marginalised and pushed down the pecking order and reports to both Gregg and Borghetti, a demeaning downgrade if ever there was one.

But Edwards will remain and the Qantas overseer of alliances and has a new role of looking after the Qantas investment in other airlines, such as Jetstar Asia and Air Pacific.

As a sop, he and Fiona Balfour will remain members of the executive committee, which saw of means all glory, no power.

Other people on the old list, such as Alan Joyce, who runs Jetstar in Australia were not mentioned. That therefore means that he along with the other dozen or so executives not mentioned, are effectively out of the running for the top job, unless they can convince the board otherwise.

Here is the memo issued by Dixon to staff on Monday:

I have decided to make changes to the Qantas management structure to better able the company to meet the ever-changing needs of the aviation industry and, in particular, the competitive pressures.

Fleet and network issues that currently report to Paul Edwards will now report to Peter Gregg, Chief Financial Officer, and John Borghetti, Executive General Manager Qantas Airlines.

Peter's area, through Simon Hickey, Head of Strategy, will now take responsibility for fleet and long term network development. This will provide better co-ordination of our vital long-term fleet and network strategies.

John Borghetti, through Damien Wallace, Head of Network Scheduling, will assume responsibility for network management, including decisions concerning schedules and the efficient use of the aircraft up to two years from day of operation. John will also continue to Chair the Group Flying Committee that co-ordinates group (ie, Qantas, QantasLink, Jetstar and Australian Airlines) flying patterns.

Paul Edwards, Executive General Manager Alliances, will maintain responsibility for long term alliance relationships, while also taking on a new role for overseeing Qantas investments in other airlines. Paul will sit on the Boards of key investments such as Jetstar Asia and Air Pacific. John Kerr, Head of Strategic Alliances, and Peter McCumstie, Head of Investment Airline Performance, will continue to report to Paul.

We also have a need to introduce further efficiencies across the group's corporate activities. To help achieve this and to provide tighter integration of key processes between financial services and Qantas Business Services (QBS) I have decided that the Executive General Manager Business Services and Chief Information Officer, Fiona Balfour, will now report to Peter Gregg.

This move will enable a more effective linkage between IT and strategy initiatives such as the Sustainable Future program.”Paul and Fiona will continue to be members of the Executive Committee. John, Peter and Paul will issue new organisational charts within the next week.

Geoff Dixon

==========================================

sport
1st Feb 2005, 01:59
But Gregg has limited, if non-existent line and operational management and Qantas insiders say the revamp by Dixon will give his CFO some responsibility in the operational area.

And what operational and line experience did Dixon have, I really don't care who gets the job, as long as Dixon pi$$es off soon.

QFinsider
1st Feb 2005, 03:52
No operational experience, guess it makes him bewdifully qualified to run a freaking airline.

Mark my words these idiots will run it straight into the ground.:mad:

Ultralights
1st Feb 2005, 05:58
Dixon was to have retired at the end of 2004, but the board was forced to extend his contract by two years, with no additional superannuation, and annual payments and bonuses totalling $6 million.

so that explains the 66% pay increase then!

Eimar Moron
1st Feb 2005, 06:55
A re-shuffling of the Captains of the lifeboats, on the Titanic.
(The deck chairs have been burnt as fuel, to save buying coal.)

Eimar Moron.

Going Boeing
1st Feb 2005, 07:27
My money's on Borghetti getting the job - contrary to the Crikey article, Borghetti has spent most of his career on the "commercial" side of Qantas and, with the departure of Forsyth, Dixon seized the opportunity to give Borghetti experience in the "operations" side. He also has had experience in dealing with the media - essential these days with the very aggressive (and inaccurate) tactics used by the media these days.

Three Bars
1st Feb 2005, 08:25
I think the key point is in this statement:

key processes between financial services and Qantas Business Services (QBS)

Maybe it should be called "Qantas BS".

Whoever runs the ship, we are just going to hear more of the same Qantas BS - "gloom, doom, moan, groan ... doing it tough ...need more productivity...militant unionism...........ahhh and we deserve more director's bonuses".

Qantas seems to have one guiding principle:

$

Australia2
1st Feb 2005, 16:14
Hi All,

"Caesar fiddles while Rome burns !! "

Oz2

Sunfish
2nd Feb 2005, 04:19
Without knowing the staff concerned I have a couple of questions.

Paul Edwards? Is he any good? Is he being "demoted" because he IS good? Giving him responsibility for J* Asia sounds very much to me like a poisoned chalice already.

Fiona Balfour, any good? I wonder if the little IT outsourcing gnomes (EDS, Acenture, etc. etc.) have been taking the Board and GD to some Oh so very nice lunches lately? I've seen this outsourcing game played before (I was an unwilling participant and I have scars to prove it).

QF may get some perceived short term savings from outsourcing its IT, but in the medium term it might realise that it is not a good idea.

Wirraway
2nd Feb 2005, 04:41
AAP

Crikey! It's sold
By Kate Lahey
February 02, 2005

SHAREHOLDER activist Stephen Mayne is selling his infamous Crikey website for a cool $1 million to spend more time with his family. And for the money.

After five years founding, funding and running Crikey, Mr Mayne is passing the news and gossip site to Eric Beecher and Di Gribble's Private Media Partners (PMP), publishers of The Reader magazine.
While he may have lost a house, some friends and a lot of his wife's money, Mr Mayne takes pride in having won some big battles and is adamant he would do it all again.

But not right now.

Mr Mayne said "Mrs Crikey", Paula Piccinini, would return to her real job as a barrister and he planned to blow the dust off his shareholder activist cape and resume serious business commentary.

"I feel like I've been missing in action," Mr Mayne told AAP today.

He said his disappointment at being 90 minutes late to an NAB annual general meeting this week, thereby missing crucial moments, was an example of the way Crikey had consumed too much of his activist time.

"I am exhausted after working 80 hours a week on this labour of love," Mr Mayne told subscribers in a statement announcing the sale last night.

"It is time to get a life again."

However Mr Mayne, whose third child was born in October, will continue to write for the site.

"With a young family we wanted a little bit of financial security," he said.

The former newspaper journalist estimates that once debts are paid there will be just over $500,000 left, enough for a modest house in the Melbourne suburbs.

Mr Mayne said running Crikey had always been a struggle, but its victories had been sweet.

Mr Mayne named highlights such as the website's part in the fall of the Australian Democrats, thwarting the spread of cash for comment and preventing Prime Minister John Howard's son Richard from doing an internship in the White House.

"The fact that a little suburban website like ours can stop the prime minister's son from doing an internship in the White House is pretty absurd," he said.

Mr Mayne is also proud of "shocking the foundations" of corporate Australia by standing for 18 boards and establishing a body of evidence on contested elections.

But running the site has not made Mr Mayne rich, and he estimates he still has Crikey-related liabilities of almost $50,000.

He said much of the debt dated back to "our darkest days fighting (radio presenter) Steve Price and (former Labor MP) Nick Bolkus in the courts".

One night, about 2am, Mr Mayne sat down at his keyboard to issue a plea to Crikey fans to renew their subscriptions soon because there was an injunction placed on the proceeds of any sale of the family home.

Crikey grew instantly from a $10,000 a month business to a $30,000 a month business. Donations flowed in, lawyers offered to work for free and over the next few days sympathetic articles appeared in the press.

"There was a massive outpouring of support from subscribers, there are a lot of believers out there," Mr Mayne said.

Mr Mayne says Crikey is about "giving a voice to a whole host of powerful, but anonymous, people when they couldn't do it in their public capacity".

"If I told you who our sources had been over the years your hair would stand on end," he said.

"Taking the flak, copping the writs and putting in the hours to build up what is now the most influential mail list in the country being serviced by a powerful and interesting group of contributors has changed, in a small way, the journalism and politics in Australia."

Today, before taking his eldest child to her first day of kindergarten, Mr Mayne said he felt mixed emotions about the sale.

But he added: "I'm convinced I've done the right thing I have found a safe pair of hands in Private Media."

Eric Beecher said in a statement that while PMP would run Crikey in its own way, it would not change Crikey's fundamental role.

===========================================