PDA

View Full Version : PPL - Florida

oliverpollard
31st Jan 2005, 15:59
Hi
I am quite new and I am sure this has been discussed in the past but I am wanting to get my PPL this summer and wondered if someone could advice me on the best place to do this. I have done so research at m local aerodrome - Elstree and it seems so much more expensive than say Florida. Are there any disadvantages with completing the PPL in Florida? And on my return will I be able to get into a Cessna 152 or whatever and fly straight away. ie will there be any sort of conversion necessary.
In addition - is it so so much cheaper after all.
Would be interested to hear from people who have got their PPL abroad and how easy it now is to fly over here.
In addition, i have seen some adverts in flight magazines advertising schools such as Orlando, Omond and Naples. Does anyone have any advice on there as I am seriously thinking about putting my name down soon.
Thank you very much.

FlyinAnywayICan
31st Jan 2005, 16:26
Is omond Ormond Beach? If so there is a sticky at the top of this forum that has some information about that particular school. As far as i know there are JAA PPL approved schools and non JAA approved school. My understanding is that if you do your course at a JAA approved school in the states you don't need to convert, DO NOT take my word for this as i'm not totally sure.

FlyinAnywayICan

flighttime2.0
31st Jan 2005, 16:45
Oliverpollard !

If you are considering going to Florida for your ppl you need to find a jaa approved school , there are a few of them examples : Naples air center , international flight training academy, ormond beech , european flight training ect !

If you do you training at one of these jaa approved schools you will not to to covert your licence upon your return to the uk.
However regardless where you do your ppl you will never be just able to walk into a new airfield hand over the creditcard and take-off in one of their cessna 152's , they will always require you to take a check ride with one of their instructors and some schools even require you to fly with them for 5 hours before the check ride .

In my opinion there are great advantages to flying in Florida , Its cheaper ( a lot cheaper ) and you will do it 10 times quicker . my advise would be to go to Florida you will really enjoy the flying conditions there and of course the weather .

Flighttime

CAT3C AUTOLAND
31st Jan 2005, 18:03
Agree with Flight time.

I have been to both Ormond Beach and Naples, and personally for me, I preferred Naples. I have not been to Ormond for a good few years, I did do my PPL there back in 1995. I really enjoyed my course at Ormond and didnt have any problems there, but check out the sticky for more information, alot of people beg to differ, however, I dont want to start any arguments.

With respect to flying back in the UK, it will not be a problem. A lot of people put the ****s up me with respect to flying back in the UK after spending so many hours flying in US airspace, but believe me it is not really a problem, the negativity came from people who hadnt even flown in the US. On returning to England I had a 1.5 hour check flight at my local school, and then it was off buzzing around in UK airspace.

On your return you will find it a little different flying in UK airspace. For example, the airspace system is structured differently, the radio is more formal and circuit joining procedures are different. However, with all that said, you will have completed the PPL ground exams, therefore you will have all the theory packed away in your brain cells, so it will be a question of just getting used to the practical side of flying in the UK. One thing I found useful with regard to the radio, as well as studying your CAP413, is to buy a cheap VHF receiver. Tune it into your local Lower Airspace Radar Service (LARS) frequency, and listen in. You will soon get a flavour of what it is all about. Just noticed you are from London, therefore you may want to try Thames Radar 132.70 if my memory serves me correctly. Oh, before anyone shoots me down, I know Thames doesnt participate in the LARS service :D.

Good luck with what you decide, and even though the course is hard work, you will really enjoy it, and will feel a great sense of achievement once you pass you PPL flight test.

All the best.

Sensible
1st Feb 2005, 08:45
Can I suggest that you use the "search" function. If you click on "search" near the top right hand side of the page, then enter keyword "Florida" you will see much written on the subject. Also, there is a "sticky" at the top of this forum index which includes opinions on Ormond Beach Aviation.

I see you have an identical thread running in the Private Flying forum too! This may well upset the moderators who are not always renowned for their patience and tolerance :)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161480

Good luck!

<<edit: cheeky git>>

davey147
5th Feb 2005, 17:27
I did my JAA PPL in Florida last May. I can only recommend Naples Air Center as its the only one i've been to and I have no complaints about them.

My advise is to go around May time before the rain comes, because you wont get much flying in if you wait till the summer as it rains over there every day in the wet season.

Im planning to go back there this May to do more flying.

Charlie Zulu
7th Feb 2005, 08:52
Davey,

Yes it rains nearly every day in Florida during July / August but it is usually connected to a Thunderstorm.

The mornings usually dawn clear and bright, during the morning and early afternoon the clouds start to build until mid afternoon when the thunderstorms start and thus flying activity stops. Late afternoon the thunderstorms are finished, the skies clear and everyone starts flying again.

I've been out in Florida (the school you mentioned) for the last two years in July. The above was the typical weather pattern throughout. Only one day did we loose completely to a thunderstorm which started at 8am(ish) - not a common thing though.

Most people were completing their PPLs within 3 to 4 week period.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

flaps now
7th Feb 2005, 15:40
Did my PPL at Naples Air Center. No complaints

oliverpollard
14th Feb 2005, 11:55
thanks all for your messages