PDA

View Full Version : Ministerial Gaffs

Fat Dog Mendoza
31st Jan 2005, 15:10
Very very sad news about the C130 in Iraq.

Did not want to put this is same threat however feel strongly enough to add another.

Is it just me or are many others angry about the continuing gaffs made by our 'caring' politicians.

Listening to the PM on Reuters TV reference the crash on Sunday,

'This is the true face of the British Army'

More like the true face of British Politicians.....no idea or more likely no interest in what branch of the military is carrying out their orders.

I for one am proud to be in the Royal Air Force as equally I am sure many serving in the British Army are proud to be in the British Army. Our politicians should not get it wrong, they should not be allowed to get it wrong.

L1A2 discharged
31st Jan 2005, 15:21
No surprise though.:mad:

How do yu tell that a politician is lying?

Their lips move.

Unfortunately once at that kind of level they are so separated from reality that they don't know that they are talking bollox.
:(

Mobile Muppet
31st Jan 2005, 15:23
Gaffs !

Well there I was stood in my best blues at a mixed service function when who should walk up but the Buffhoon himself.

"What service are you ?" he asked me with a blank look on his smug face, I was too dumb struck to reply. What a to$$er, I should of punched him. Worth a stint in colly I reckon.

MM

newswatcher
31st Jan 2005, 15:26
Not just politicians, I was somewhat irritated at the early BBC reports (and no doubt other news services) At least nine British soldiers died when a transport plane crashed in Iraq. I guess they thought it was flying itself! I doubt there is much point in complaining. :mad:

BigginAgain
31st Jan 2005, 17:19
Are we supposed to salute MPs? Seem to recall seeing 32(TR) Sqn pers saluting Bliar when he got off the 146 from his hols. Not sure I could bring myself to.

As far as Hoon goes, smug and self-interested, just don't cover it. The man is a w@nker of the first order.

Can we all register to vote in his constituency (Ashfield) and vote him out of office? Or, would we be better doing that to Bliar?

adr
31st Jan 2005, 17:20
I doubt there is much point in complaining.
I don't agree. If they get a mere handful of complaints, they might be tempted to conclude that this isn't a matter where inaccuracy is that much of an issue. This page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/) might be of use.

Note: link updated 312327Z.

adr

Lafyar Cokov
31st Jan 2005, 17:21
Gaffs????
I would hardly call it a gaff ...... more like a total f****ng disregard for the people they send to do their dirty work for them.

I'm afraid the fact that we are expected to put our lives on the line and they can't even be prepared to change the details of an 'off the shelf' speech fill me with rage... sorry.

captain sanity
31st Jan 2005, 17:38
ADR. Good point! I, for one, have already vented my spleen and would advise as many as possible to follow suit.... I despair

CS

crossbow
31st Jan 2005, 20:28
Sorry guys. Can someone spell it out to me, Im missing the point. Where's the Gaff?

BigginAgain
31st Jan 2005, 21:53
Suspect the original 'gaff' was to do with the way Bliar banged on about the losses in the tragic Herc crash on Sunday afternoon. What has upset the light blues was the fact that, irrespective of the ability to determine exactly who was on board in the early stages, any RAF Herc, in whatever role, would have had at least 5 (?) RAF aircrew on it, yet no mention was made of our Service in his initial 'off-the-shelf' speech, which focussed exclusively on the bravery (undisputed by the way) of the British Army.

The fact that subsequently it was revealed that there were 10 killed, of which 9 were RAF and one Army made matters worse. This is not the thread for condolences regarding the crash. A lot of people in the RAF feel that these politicians are self-seeking tossers who don't really give a d@mn about us. These 'gaffs' and other personal contacts with the likes of Bliar, Hoon and their cronies simply serve to reinforce these opinions.

BA

The Gorilla
31st Jan 2005, 22:07
It wasn't a gaff I am afraid.

Sunday was supposed to Bliars shining day of achievement. He appeared to me to be both angry and embarrassed at having to talk of the Herc matter when he should have been sliming his way with the British populace.

My own opinion is that he deliberately referred to the RAF as the Army in a fit of pique!! Nothing should surprise us as we are not dealing with men of honour.

Nothings forgotten Blair, nothing is ever forgotten...

:*

nick0021
31st Jan 2005, 22:23
Sunday was supposed to Bliars shining day of achievement. He appeared to me to be both angry and embarrassed at having to talk of the Herc matter when he should have been sliming his way with the British populace

My thoughts exactly.

Mobile Muppet....that is unbeliveable. ! agree a punch would have been the best suited response.....well worth the time.:*

November4
31st Jan 2005, 22:32
When John Major flew to Ancona from Serejevo by Hercules to catch a125(?) back to England, he walked round and shook hands with the majority of the det there.

Rifkind :yuk: couldn't get out to the waiting aircraft fast enough and ignored us all!

Maybe its a trait required of Defence Scretaries that they have to dislike the services?

crossbow
1st Feb 2005, 06:47
Sadly I think you would all prefer it if the SofS was a nice guy who handed out sweeties and played party games with you all. Unfortunately, that is not his remit.

The Secretary of State for Defence is the Cabinet Minister charged with making and executing Defence policy, and with providing the means by which it is executed, the Armed Forces. He is Chairman of the Defence Council and of its three Boards, (the Admiralty Board, the Army Board and the Air Force Board).

Nothing in there about shaking hands or being friendly to the oiks ! So youre argument wrt why you dont like Mr Rifkind was that he didn't shake hands with you? Good argument - Keep it up !

ORAC
1st Feb 2005, 07:03
That´s what you are taught about man management and leadership at Warton then?

Jambo Jet
1st Feb 2005, 07:21
Perhaps Bliar has forgotten that his plans to get rid of the RAF are still only at the early stages. His gaff is proof of what he has in store for the future.

The Swinging Monkey
1st Feb 2005, 07:28
CROSSBOW,

How you dissapoint me ol bean.
Who on earth mentioned handing out sweets? (did I miss that bit?)
Whilst I don't expect the SofS to be all 'lovey-dovey' and spend all his time being nice, I do think that he has a duty and responsibiliy to be understanding of the department he is supposed to be in charge of!

Lets face it, Hoon is an utter ar$ehole, and has proved himself so on many occasions, and frankly, I despair at him and others running the country.

Rant over, time for a lie down
kind regards
TSM
'Caruthers, fetch me a large glass of the Famous stuff, there's a good chap!'

NURSE
1st Feb 2005, 07:29
if blair gets rid of the RAF who's going to fly him on his hols?

I think its pathetic the way they are treating the armed forces. As to TCH how long has he been at the Mod just shows how much attention he's been paying.

I liked the Mod spokesman's comment about inflicting ministerial visits on the wounded at RCDM. I would sugest the ministers don't want to visit our sick and wounded because they would have to accept some responsibility for the guys/girls injuries/illness's.

November4
1st Feb 2005, 07:36
Showing an interest in the lads (however much of a pretence it was) or just ignoring them?

Which one would you look up to?

brakedwell
1st Feb 2005, 07:58
crossbow
When Bliar cancels the third tranche of Eurofighters through lack of money, I'll be surprised if you are not highly p****d off when your boss displays a lack of leadership by failing to shake you by the hand before he shows you the door to a new life on the dole.

Echo 5
1st Feb 2005, 07:59
ORAC,

They don't teach any sort of Management at Warton. And as for leadership !!

JessTheDog
1st Feb 2005, 10:35
Maybe its a trait required of Defence Scretaries that they have to dislike the services?

I suspect it is because they (rightly) feel intimidated and nervous around the highly-respected members of the Armed Forces.

Roland Pulfrew
1st Feb 2005, 10:50
Crossbow

You have missed the point!! Bliar said and I quote:

This is the true face of the British Army
Well it wasn't was it! 9 RAF personnel and 1 Soldier have lost their lives so it should have been:

This is the true face of the Royal Air Force, or of the Armed Forces
Perhaps this is a sign of the future for the RAF ie THERE ISN'T ONE. Perhaps Bliar has already written the RAF off as nonentity following the last set of cuts.

What is as unforgiveable (and returns to the thread) is that the CHIEF of the AIR Staff was in civvies on TV Last night!! Where were his No 1s? CDS appeared on TV in his No1s whilst dealing with the current courts martial, you would have thought our "Boss" could have had the decency to wear his No1s when announcing the deaths of 9 of his personnel!!! :* :*

brakedwell
1st Feb 2005, 11:03
Perhaps the number one big cheese was off to dinner at number ten!

Cahlibahn
1st Feb 2005, 11:54
I, too, was surprised at the PM's reference to the British Army. However, I'm sure it was a gaffe rather than a gaff.

:8

Vapour
1st Feb 2005, 12:26
However, I'm sure it was a gaffe rather than a gaff.

What's the difference, or does it just show that you paid more attention in English classes?;)

Regarding qualifications for Defence Secretary, surely the ideal SoS knows absolutely nothing about the armed forces, that way his conscience is clean as he cuts and cuts until the navy consisits of 2 rowing boats and a canoe, the army 3 men and a jeep and the air force is left only with the Queen's Flight (It wouldn't do to travel to Egypt with the oiks on BA after all)

newswatcher
1st Feb 2005, 12:31
With reference to visiting the wounded in hospital, am I right in thinking that there have been no such visits by either the PM or Hoon, or should that be no "publicised" visits?

adr
1st Feb 2005, 12:35
What's the difference[...]?
A gaffe is a verbal blunder; a gaff is a large metal hook on the end of a pole (also something nautical to do with sails).

I think gaffe may freely be spelt either gaff or gaffe in US use.

There is an archaic use, as well, which only survives in the phrase "Blow the gaff" -- to reveal a plot or strategem.

Maybe the gaffe blew the gaff?

adr

teeteringhead
1st Feb 2005, 13:23
And good ol' OED gives yet another gaff 1. a. ? Vociferation, outcry. b. Humbug, ‘stuff and nonsense’. ...which might just be even more appropriate for Bliar....

crossbow
1st Feb 2005, 14:28
It was probably just a slip of the tongue....and as for the guy who said that if they Can the third tranche then I'll be shown the door.....Nah, If then can this aircraft I'll go back to flying Jags !!!!!

LoeyDaFrog
1st Feb 2005, 23:10
Gorilla,
Nice thought! 'Nothings forgotten Blair, nothing is ever forgotten...'

ElectroVlasic
2nd Feb 2005, 02:03
Thought better of it...

Beeayeate
2nd Feb 2005, 07:47
crossbow
..Nah, If then can this aircraft I'll go back to flying Jags !!!!!

There won't be any Jags left to fly, unless you mean you're going to drive for Prescott.

And FIVE exclamation marks, steady on old chap . . . .