PDA

View Full Version : ...any other questions...dummies!!

The Resistance
11th Feb 2001, 02:25
This says it all.....! What part of 'STOP HELPING THIS MANAGEMENT SCREW US' don't the majority of us understand....??? READ CAREFULLY WHAT THE THREAD BELOW (copied from 'Rumours and News') AND SEE WHAT A UNITED, DETERMINED EFFORT RESULTS IN. It didn't happen overnight, but IT WILL HAPPEN if we ALL resolve to show this management that we have had enough. WAKE UP

Congratulations to the flight crew at Delta Air Lines and their ALPA negotiators. Delta Air Lines has offered to make its pilots the highest paid in the industry in order to avoid a strike. The deal, which has yet to be accepted, consists of a maximum pay rise of just over 30% spread over 4 years.
It appears that the airline has caved in due to Delta's pilots stopping voluntary overtime. Delta has had to cut its daily flight schedule by 4% due to a shortage of crew.

I just wish that BALPA would employ some of these negotiators and educate its membership as to what can be achieved by a unified work-force. The cost of increasing pay obviously pales into insignificance when compared to the cost of grounded aircraft gathering dust. Once again well done!

busbuoy
11th Feb 2001, 11:07
United we stand.
Divided we retire poor and die early.

jagman
11th Feb 2001, 14:25
Resisting person - WELL DONE - Have we all just gone back home and given up!! Reading 'Fragrant Harbour' these days is no fun at all. It's about answering questions of people queueing up to JOIN for goodness sake.....
Some of you (quite rightly) are happy as sandboys given that CX has plucked you from GA and,2 years later, put you in the RHS of a 744 and bought you a house.
The rest of us are being paid less than average wages until we retire (and get another job).
We have brought this upon ourselves and SURELY, as our next pay cut looms, the thought of NR grinning at our expense (literally) should urge us to act now.
I've never said it before, but I'm so angry that if the AOA called a strike - I would.
Come on guys GET ANGRY - what could NR and KB possibly do if we shut CX down?? We'd feel great and it would show these .ankers that we're not spineless after all..
COME ON..................

lhasa apso
12th Feb 2001, 05:46
I think that there are only 2 replies to this post says it all. We are either apathetic, or just so conditioned to being beaten that we have grown to expect it. Every July NR rings his bell and we all salivate at the thought of another wonderful pay cut
Busbouy got it just right. United we will win, but it's going to take cohesion and courage, unfortunately both commodities seem to be in short supply amongst the aircrew. However on the bright side the anger and resentment is growing, so just maybe !!!!! if not it looks like I will retire with a lot less money than I banked on

thepenguin
12th Feb 2001, 09:32
Chaps, My sympathies go out to you all as I remember the beatings. I can only offer the assurance that there is life after CX, and it is much better. Either fight or leave. Those are the only honourable choices.

indeepsht
13th Feb 2001, 02:34
Fight!

thepenguin
13th Feb 2001, 03:14
Chaps, A worthwhile quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes: "I find the great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of Heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it--But we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor".

US Marine
13th Feb 2001, 09:31
Fight?! it would be such a shame to part with your third car, or downsize the yacht or
even have to put up with a smaller second home....or even count less zero's on the bank balance!

Checkmate
13th Feb 2001, 12:40
USM. As someone who has spent the best part of 1 1/2 decades working for CX I do not think it would be unreasonable if I owned a second home (I do) or a boat (I don't) or third car (I don't). Go and have a chat with any senior BA Capt or UA or AA doing the same job as me(TRE/IRE), and you will find they are much better off, and with better rosters, and a better future to look forward to. I work for a first tier carrier, and yet you and your ilk, want to deny me and my colleague's a first tier salary. How can you justify your anti CX pilot comments? If you feel generally that pilots get paid too much, perhaps you should say so on the rumours forum, but it would appear, by being here, that it is just CX pilot salaries you object to. Can you justify your comments? Or are you just another angry anti Cathay Pilot person?

lhasa apso
13th Feb 2001, 15:51
US MARINE : I've just done a search of your posts, very very interesting!!

ex RAF applied for positions with JMC and Cathay, obviously thought that you were getting in after your question about sailing in HK and I would assume that you have been turned down by CX [thank God ] with your kind of attitude!! enclosed a sample of some of his better ones

"The cathay interview guide is great for questions, not so hot for answers"

US Marine posted 05 September 2000 10:01

" CV submitted in July, application form in August, interview in HK in September. You won't hear a bad word about there speed of processing applications from here.
---------------------------------------------
and regarding interview with JMC queries about age requirements

"US Marine posted 13 September 2000 20:03

" This just gets better and better. Cut the crap about age and start looking at your CV. If it doesn't stand out from the
hundreds of others all the airlines receive then you can't be suprised that mediocrity is rewarded by no interviews. Or is that me just being smug about my CV?"

Your post on this forum gives you away as a pilot who obviously thinks that the world's airlines should beat a path to your door offering you a job. You have an awful lot to learn about being part of a team. Grow up and go away.
Post when you have something constructive to say and try practising a lot of humility, you are very self opinionated. Opinions which would be best kept to yourself!!!!!!!

thepenguin
13th Feb 2001, 17:57
For reference, let me offer my mates salary at UAL. He has been there 3 1/2 years, having left just prior to command at a second/third tier carrier. He is a 777 F/O and is paid 177,000 usd's/yr. In addition there is a 12% contribution to a 'provident' type fund AND he will recieve 40% of his final salary on a monthly basis for the remainder of his life after he retires. This package works out conservatively to about $208,000 usd per year for 777 F/O. How anyone can accept a command on the freighter for 125K/ yr is beyond me...

cpdude
13th Feb 2001, 19:35
It is difficult for one to portray any real personality on a CV, but, I think USM did a fine job of it here and during the interview!

Cibilo
15th Feb 2001, 07:19
Penguin,
Your information is false. A United F/O with 3 1/2 years does not make $177000 no matter what airplane he is flying.

RRAAMJET
16th Feb 2001, 02:31
Cibilio

can't be too far off, though.
Some quick math from my contract ( and UA get more than us )

$140/hr 777 intl FO + override
80 hrs/mnth (lineholder)
= $11200/mnth
x 12 = $134,400
$ 500/ mnth per diem
= $6000/year
Profit share 8% = $11000

Total: $ 151,000

so UA can't be that far off.....

Fatbastard
16th Feb 2001, 07:55
Now Cibilo, you are an estute young chap, aren't you? That Penguin is wrong. I know that a 4 year UAL F/O on the 777 on the new contract makes only 177usd's per hour. And they are only going to get paid for 960 hours +- a year...so he did over estimate a bit. Good catch. Then add a 12% provident and about 35% to 40% of your final salary for the REST OF your life....chump change really!

The Waco Kid
17th Feb 2001, 04:07
Checkmate,

You seem to be under the misguided understanding that you should be paid X amount of dollars as a result of someone else getting paid X amount of dollars.

You Cx guys seem to be able to complain more than any other employee group on the planet. The world does not owe you a living any more than anyone else in this game.

Why do you guys on Pprune cry poor yet all my mates who joind CX do nothing but tell me about all the money they make.

Checkmate
19th Feb 2001, 11:52
WACO KID.

It is quite normal for employers and employees to make comparisons with others in the similar positions. We only differ in our
conclusions. It is you who appears misguided.

I suspect that if you do have any friends at CX they are very junior, and naturally very happy to be employed by a first tier
carrier. For the average guy with 2.4 kids living in Hong Kong, the future does not look good, unless we succeed in making
some drastic changes.

With respect to your point about the world owing us a living, and our complaints. Most of the complaints made in the FH are
between colleagues, it is a useful way to let off steam. It's our virtual bar. You have the option not to enter that bar if you find it
vexatious. Finally the world does not owe me a living, CX definitely does, and I shall continue to strive to prevent, those who
seek to erode it.

The Waco Kid
20th Feb 2001, 15:07
So last year was a virtual strike was it.

conan
20th Feb 2001, 18:49
Checkmate don't bother wasting your valuable time This kid is just that a kid with no comprehension of the real world. Let him go and play in the sandpit where he belongs

Checkmate
22nd Feb 2001, 04:18
Conan. You're right.