PDA

View Full Version : USB or USB2

Kolibear
31st Jan 2005, 09:29
Whats the difference between USB & USB2 and are they compatible?

I'm just about to replace our laptop, probably get a new printer too and if theres any change left - new digi camera for me. (Xmas has come late)

So I'm just wondering if I should be careful to check all the USB ports on all my new goodies or if I can buy what I fancy & be confident that they will all communicate

Lost_luggage34
31st Jan 2005, 09:40
You should be absolutely fine.

Any new device will use USB2.0 ports and connections. These fully support any older devices which use USB1 - just at a lower speed.

timmcat
31st Jan 2005, 09:42
I believe that the two standards are 'backwards compatible' - ie a USB2 device will work when put in a USB 1.1 slot, just slower than designed. Vice versa, a USB 1.1 device will work perfectly in a USB2 slot.

Most new PC's have USB2 ports now as standard, so you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

goates
31st Jan 2005, 14:31
All speeds of USB are compatible with each other, but the slower devices can slow down faster ones on the same USB connection (ie. same hub). Many digital cameras still seem to use 12Mb/s USB standard and not the faster 480Mb/s standard.

A couple of years ago the USB standards group decided to rename all USB connections to USB2.0 (apparently companies were having trouble marketing products with the older and slower versions). This means that now you need to look for USB "High speed" for the 480Mb/s version and "Full speed" for the 12Mb/s variant.

For some light reading here's a link:
http://www.usb.org/developers/packaging/

goates

Cornish Jack
31st Jan 2005, 18:01
Suggest a little caution here!!
I now possess a USB2 external CD burner, having swopped it for my own USB1 version. Reason?? - said USB2 version totally refused to operate on a USB1 port on a laptop.
To be fair, that info WAS printed on the outside of the box, but had been cheerfully ignored by the PC World "expert" advisor who had persuaded the customer that this was what he should buy.
Sooooo ... some work, some don't - if all else fails, read the instructions!! ;)

IO540
31st Jan 2005, 18:15
There is the occassional lack of backwards compatibility.