PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Inland Revenue Tax Self Assessment

Ant
30th Jan 2005, 21:12
With just a couple of hours to go before the deadline for online submission of one's 2003-2004 tax self assessment, I urgently ask if there's any other UK. Ppruners sweating slightly because the Inland Revenue website seems incapable of accepting their online assessment. Since 6.30PM this evening, I've attempted numerous times to submit my self assessment to avoid the automatic £100 fine. Now, at 10.05PM I must assume a serious technical problem which prevents my proper and legitimate (and legally required) tax submission.

Yours, in the hope of not having to needlessly having to be fined £100.!

rotorcraig
30th Jan 2005, 21:31
Now I'm really glad that I finally did mine a few weeks ago :D

But I've just taken a look and the Inland Revenue secure site certainly looks to be very poorly.

Clicking on any of the https links either returns an immediate "The page cannot be displayed", or results in the hourglass and not much else.

Would have really expected the Inland Revene to have systems support on call this weekend given that it's such a critical time for the system, so surprised that there is no "known problem, please try again later" message posted.

But ... believe that the deadline for returns is Monday 31st January (http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/sa/keydates/keydates.htm#comp31jan03), so you have one more day (during which they'll hopefully fix the system) rather than a couple of hours?

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/images/jan31home.gif

RC

Maxflyer
30th Jan 2005, 21:34
Ant,

You can download the form off the IR website and manually complete. Then hand it in at the local office.

Forms (http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/sa/forms/net-03-04.htm)

Local Office Hours For 31/01/05 (http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/news/internethours.pdf)

It shouldn't matter what office you hand them in to, as long as it is before close of play tomorrow.

Good luck

MF

Toxteth O'Grady
30th Jan 2005, 21:36
I've had mine stuck at 95% complete, waiting for receipt acknowledgement since 1000 yesterday. IR's servers seem to have completely crapped out.

However if you don't owe any tax 'cos you're on PAYE, then take solace in the following from the IR's FAQ:

Fixed penalties

If your tax return has not been received by 1 February there will be an automatic £100 penalty.

There is a second fixed penalty of another £100 if your tax return is still outstanding six months later -
31 July.

You can appeal against the fixed penalties but you will have to show that you have just cause for missing the deadline.

For more information and a handy chart see 'Key Dates'.

Reduction of fixed penalties

If - when the tax return comes in - the correct amount of tax payable at the due date is less than the fixed penalties, then the penalties will be reduced to the amount of the tax that is due.

aiglon
30th Jan 2005, 21:37
The Revenue's computer system is operated by a private contractor and has never been known for reliability :(

Best idea is to avoid it at all costs and use snail mail :)

Aiglon

Memetic
30th Jan 2005, 21:53
I had the same problem this evening.

Pages taking ages to load, (4 - 5 mins to get the log in screen!) the log in screen then just returning server error messages.

I called the help line, got a BT message stating the network was congested.

Several calls later I got an engaged tone - BT suggested ring back, pressed 5, got told ring back was not avalaible on that number.

I finally got through on the international help number, 10 mins on the phone, being toild to clear the cache and wait 10 mins before rebooting (They finally admitted 1 second or 10 mins would make no diffference.) Said I wanted to complain, and register the fact in case I got fined and repeated this until I was put though to a 3rd person. who gave me a case number and took my tax reference number so that if I could not file and got fined I could appeal.

Looking at the new guidelines on their site I could not see why I have a tax form anyway...:mad:

...what's the legal position on billing the inland revenue for my time completing thier form when thier guidelines suggest I don't need to have a form anyway?

BEagle
30th Jan 2005, 22:12
"...what's the legal position on billing the inland revenue for my time completing their form when thier guidelines suggest I don't need to have a form anyway?...."

Depends how you cost your time. As an independent consultant, I would just enter a business expense calculated at €48 per hour - my normal consultancy fee.

Just wait until you're no longer on PAYE! The buggers actually bill you in advance for the next tax year on the assumption that your income will be the same as for the previous one.

A real incentive from Fatty Brown to encourage people to be honest....

5milesbaby
30th Jan 2005, 23:39
I managed to file my form over a month ago with no problems, however I sympathise with those trying now. They (the IR) should know that its going to get congested and set their site up accordingly.

The list given for those likely to get a rebate of any fine is quite specific so I would be careful on how you approach it and make sure you e-mail the IR keeping a copy saying what your problems are and giving any reference you can. Without proof they will just throw it back and not give you any lea-way therefore no rebate.

"...what's the legal position on billing the inland revenue for my time completing their form when thier guidelines suggest I don't need to have a form anyway?...."

Err, you have been sent the form so then you have a legal requirement to complete it and return it within the time specifed. Anyone earning 40% tax livings will eventually get put onto the scheme. If you do this for two years and they see that there isn't a need to complete the form any longer then they will write to you and confirm that you will be sent no more forms, but its your own responsibility to request a form should your circumstances change to be within the limits in the future. I know this through first hand experience, boy I'm happy :ok:

Toxteth O'Grady
31st Jan 2005, 05:29
Finally got my receipt acknowledgement at 0500 this morning, so only 43 hours in the queue - made for an exciting weekend anyways :ugh:

Lesson learnt for next year :ok:

:cool:

TOG

Llademos
31st Jan 2005, 16:00
Inland Revenue 'Spokesperson' says that the site going down is not an excuse and that any submissions late as a result will incur the fine!

:mad: :mad: :mad: Gits

amanoffewwords
31st Jan 2005, 16:04
Their phones ain't working either - been trying to call their Shipley office all day Friday and all day today - constantly engaged :*

Complaint form duly downloaded....

Quick, someone move this to Jet Blast so I can start more :mad: words...

Evo
31st Jan 2005, 16:22
It's alright, AMOFW, I think i'll make an exception on this occasion. Still, look on the bright side - Mrs. Evo is American, so I get the joys of the Federal and Illinois state tax returns too :{