PDA

View Full Version : Cathay?

31st street
28th Mar 2001, 01:16
Fellow Aviators,

A quick question and I would appreciate only
sincere responses. I have accepted a position
with Cathay (ASEL) for the freigher fleet. Are the freighter pilots entering Cathay via
ASEL considered scabs? What is the mainline
Cathay pilot's view on USA new hires on the
freight side of the company?

I have the utmost respect for a pilot group's
culture and any ongoing agenda to better their careers and enhance job security. If the new hire freighter pilot is considered a
scab, I will decline the offer and walk away, hoping that will help your efforts. If
not, I am looking forward to joining your
company. Thank You.

10sne1
28th Mar 2001, 16:23
31st; If you are being offered a position on the frtr then as of the 1st of Jan last year you will join the CX seniority list, for what that is worth. ASL in theory no longer exists. It does however continue to employ pilots and FEs that could not or would not join the CX list last year. They were either too old (over 55) or too close to command to start over again. The FEs had no choice but to stay at ASL (I think). You would not be considered a scab since all new hires on the pax or frtr join at the bottom af the same list. When you complete 3 years service on the frtr then you have the chance to fly pax a/c in whatever seat your number will hold. So go ahead and join if you think you want to. Personally if I had the prerequisites to be employed at a US major I wouldn't give this outfit a second thought, but that is up to you. I would suggest you read the posts on this and other forums before accepting a job at CX.

31st street
28th Mar 2001, 21:42
10sne1,

Thank you very much for your response.

Midnight Rambler
29th Mar 2001, 06:30
As a matter of interest, what is ASEL? I hope and pray that it is not son-of ASL. If it is then you can expect the same kind of welcome the ASL crews got. If it isn't then,
as tennis said, come on over if that's what you want, but time to command is probably going to be 12-15 years now.

31st street
29th Mar 2001, 11:28
Sorry about that, I meant to write ASL.

Why is the upgrade taking so long? Any ideas?

Thanks again....

Midnight Rambler
29th Mar 2001, 14:43
Simply put: you will be at the bottom of a very long seniority list of which a couple of hundred are SO's who will be doing up to 3 years before upgrade to JFO/FO. Then it's anything from 8-12 years. That's assuming they can ever get through this current backlog and sort the mess out they've created.

[This message has been edited by Midnight Rambler (edited 29 March 2001).]