PDA

View Full Version : Green Cards

unabungler
26th Mar 2001, 10:24
So....What's the latest with the US offering Green Cards to Canadians (and perhaps also pilots of ((First world)) Commonwealth Countries?)

I understand it is to be ratified imminently, or may already have been ratified.

Any info people.

Secondly (seriously), who would apply for a start with a US major if this Green Card thing is a goer?

Airbubba
26th Mar 2001, 10:30
This is a perpetual hoax thread here on PPRuNe. If you speak Spanish and float ashore on a raft you can get a green card, otherwise forget it...

thepenguin
26th Mar 2001, 17:21
Unfortunately, Malaysians or anyone else for that matter can get work visas in HK at CX' behest. THAT is our greatest new problem. As was put forth in another post, this is the most serious threat we have faced. My advice to anyone with a green (or any other colour card) would be to use it and get out of here. The world as we know it is ending...

Scooter
27th Mar 2001, 03:57
Unabungler - although there are laws in place with respect to the issuing of green cards the rules often seem to be manipulated.

Some time back a few South American pilots with MD11 endorsements from EVA left and got jobs in the US flying MD-11 freighters.
I believe greencards were issued as these individuals were qualified on type and the US freight carrier needed crews with some urgency.Very convenient and good on those individuals for scoring the coveted green card!

The other points around the green card are the green card lottery (50,000 per year)as well as the hiring of an immigration lawyer in the good 'ol American tradition - sue your way in!
Of course one could always go out and marry a US citizen or if your child is born in the USA you would have rights of residency I believe also.