PDA

View Full Version : your lifestyle

Guru
8th Nov 2000, 04:21
I'm applying to CX, getting an insight into what being a pilot based in HK is like would help me enormously. Thanks!

What is a typical working pattern? How many days would you be away for and subsequently how many days off after that? When you are back would you be too knackered to do anything or make good use of that time?

Are you able to completely detach from work durings days off or do you have paper/office work?

Is there explicit demands on your fitness and health that put a lot of restrains on what you want to do in your spare time?

Apologies for all these questions (and more!) but this is the only source where I can gather info of this nature.

Thrust
8th Nov 2000, 10:22
Check out hkalpa.org It's the website of our union. In the public area I'm sure there is (was?) a section for people thinking about coming to HK. Rather than have me rabbit on here for 10,000 word's and repeat what is on that site, take a look and let us know what you think.

[This message has been edited by Thrust (edited 08 November 2000).]

Thrust
8th Nov 2000, 14:34
Guru, do you live in HK? I see that you also posted about the flight grading. If you do live in HK then a visit to the HKAOA website may not be of too much interest at this stage. I thought for a moment you were thinking of moving here.

To answer your specific's; As an S/O, after the first 6 months back at CX, (after Adelaide) you should be checked out to the line. As an ultra long haul pilot you will typically do a 3,4,5 or 6 day pattern followed by at least 5 days off then into another pattern. Hours build quickly so in a month you MAY get up to 14 days or more off depending on trips. 5 or 6 days off is plenty of time to visit Thailand or the phillipines etc on days off. I'm sure you will be busy in your spare time.

The younger you are the easier the ULH flying is, so it's hard to say how knackered you will be. In general the day after I return from an ULH sector it is a right off. I guess after 20 years of ULH flying you might be a bit shagged. Much depends on what you get up to while you are away and how your body is able to cope. It differs for everyone.

It's hard to detatch yourself completly from work. Many of us would like to but flying is more than just turning up at the "office". You will find you have a great deal to learn in the early years and quite a lot of home work is required if you want to do the job well. It's also hard to detach yourself from work if the company is shafting your lifestyle with disruptive rostering or ever decreasing benefits.

You will have an annual medical up to age 40 then a 6 monthly medical until retirement. Pays to keep fit. You can do anything you want to do sport / hobby wise but injuries in some high danger activities may cause your company insurances to be invalid. The list of exclusions is extensive now (far more than 10 years ago) but there is no rule that you can't do something. Just don't get hurt!

Hope that helps. It's not a bad life but you are a tall poppy in our company and many people love to try to chop you down. You will enjoy the people you fly with and if we could just get better management the company could be great again. Best of luck.

Guru
8th Nov 2000, 16:09
Thanks very much Thrust, your help on more than one occasion is much appreciated!

FYI I plan on returning to HK, hopefully for CX, after eight years studying in England. Looking forward to spending more time in HK then just the summer holidays!

More comments from others are welcome!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 08 November 2000).]