PDA

View Full Version : Bristol U-Turn

fyrefli
29th Jan 2005, 18:39
EZY 6162 back to Bristol from Schiphol today was, as usual, late due to delays on the previous trip to Prague (I do the round trip 2x a month on average and I can't remember the last time it left on schedule).

No matter, the cap'n has a blinding plan! Fortunately we don't have to taxi all the way out to the Polderbaan so we've made up a bit and in the cruise he reports that we're probably going to make all the time up and that the wind in Bristol is NE 6.

Okay, so we'll be coming in on 09 then. But when we break cloud, we're over the A4 a smidge West of Bath on normal approach to 27.

Arriving at Lulsgate, there's a bit of bounce and swing on landing but nothing that unusual (particularly as I'm in the penultimate row), then we start braking unusually fast and for longer than I expect, coming to an almost complete standstill about 300yds from the end of the runway.

It's at this point I see another EZY flight sitting at the end of the taxiway to the start of 09, waiting to take off. So how's this going to work then? Well, basically we chuck an impressively tiny u-ey on the main runway, trundle briskly back up it in an E direction and off at one of the mid access points.

Most chucklesome :) Is this standard practice at Bristol? I've never encountered it before.

speedbird_heavy
30th Jan 2005, 08:34
The other Easy was probably holding at G1 ready to enter 09 once your aircraft had landed and stopped/exited the runway. Because of this, a quick backtrack to Taxiway F was required.

As you probably know, the runway in use is usually determined by the direction of the wind. If there is very little or no wind pilots can (IIRC) request either runway. It was probably quicker to land on 27 than to join the approach for 09, where as the other Easy would have shaved a few minutes off his flight by using 09 for departure. It’s not uncommon at smaller airports.

Avman
30th Jan 2005, 09:02
With virtually calm winds, coming from AMS, taking 27 instead of 09 will have saved about 5 minutes flying time - but probably added 3 minutes ground time!

fyrefli
30th Jan 2005, 21:16
Thanks for the answers - I couldn't myself fathom that it would have shaved masses of time off the approach but on the PA the captain did seem rather jolly at being back one minute before schedule, having been so late on arrival at AMS.

Perhaps he'd had a bet with the camera crew from Airline who were onboard ;)

TheOddOne
30th Jan 2005, 21:45
At LGW, when things are quieter during the night and there's either a crosswind or little wind and when the Northern Runway is in use we'll use 08L arrive & 26R depart. This really expedites flights and improves the flow rate. Can't do it during the day, though, or you'd meet all the traffic coming the other way!

Cheers,
TOO

ps Advance Warning - 120 nights of Northern Runway ops planned for this summer - should keep TC well in practice with the jolly old SRAs! I did ask if we could work up an RNAV solution for the approach - apparently it's possible but will take several years to implement. Ho Hum...

Standard Noise
1st Feb 2005, 16:13
Speedbird_heavy - if you want us to put EZY 73's off at F then give us the name of a good law firm. Can't be done my friend, biggest on Fox is KLM F70. Even other F70's have to use G or backtrack to A or B.

Although it's not uncommon for us to backtrack 27 when 09 is in use. We also do it if we have several pushing off the front of the terminal so as not to delay the lander.

slim_slag
1st Feb 2005, 16:20
.....on the PA the captain did seem rather jolly at being back one minute before schedule....

Yeh, but Easy only tell you they are early if the wheels touch the ground ahead of the timetabled arrival. What time did he get you to the gate?

Silvertop
2nd Feb 2005, 22:14
"Yeh, but Easy only tell you they are early if the wheels touch the ground ahead of the timetabled arrival. What time did he get you to the gate?"

At Brs about 2 1/2 mins later I'd reckon

fyrefli
4th Feb 2005, 22:36
Yeh, but Easy only tell you they are early if the wheels touch the ground ahead of the timetabled arrival. What time did he get you to the gate?

As has been hazarded by others, a couple of minutes max. Shame it's not always as quick at the other end! Are there many other airports where it's common to be taxi-ing for fifteen mins plus, as with the Polderbaan at AMS?

Mind you, once you're off the aircraft at AMS, it's generally almost as swift as BRS to get through and out to my bike / onto the train.

Cheers All,

Rich.

MerchantVenturer
5th Feb 2005, 11:39
Mind you, once you're off the aircraft at AMS, it's generally almost as swift as BRS to get through and out to my bike / onto the train.
My experience over the years, admittedly with KLM and not easyJet on this route, is that the likely cause of the delay at BRS is the fact that the hold luggage has gone wandering at the AMS end.

This has happened to me on three occasions over the years on flights from AMS to BRS. Once fifty per cent of the passengers on the flight had their luggage left behind.

I will agree though that taxiing from the end of the runway to the apron at BRS (even from the far end of 27) is pretty quick in time terms, and often very quick if with a certain airline from across the Irish Sea.

nervous flyer
8th Feb 2005, 09:51
we were always told DUB in summer had long taxiing times but check with someone in the know

terrier21
20th Feb 2005, 23:42
MV I hope your not accusing who I think you are of speeding!!!

Many times I had to change pants after standing behind the marsheller on stands one two and three and many times have thought that the walkway may be mowed over when the FR has been on its way in!!!