PDA

View Full Version : ICAO to JAA conversion

flyingg1power
29th Jan 2005, 14:25
I am a holder of an FAA ATPL and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the written exams?

I was told that because of my ATPL i do not have to sit a groundschool and that i can just write to the CAA to have myself scheduled for the Exams

Any Ideas?

The Greaser
29th Jan 2005, 16:10
This maybe so, however without doing some form of ground school you will not be able to pass the exams.

African Drunk
31st Jan 2005, 07:50
It depends on your flying experience if you have over 1500hrs on a multi pilot a/c or a single pilot a/c operated 2 crew under your ops manual you can apply to the CAA to assess your experience and may allow you to sit the exams without ground schooling. However having both a CAA and FAA licence I believe there is alot of differences between the systems and I would do the ground school.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
31st Jan 2005, 21:13
If you can avoid having to the formal ground school that would be of some benefit. The 14 exams range from super easy to very tough. I've seen a few rotary wing guys (who are not required to do any formal ground school) take the easy ones just by using previous exam quetions; similar to how you would study for FAA writtens. They used private tuition to study for the tougher exams. This was a much faster and possibly cheaper way to skin the cat.

I can assure you though, it ain't gonna be a cake walk, nothing like the FAA nonsense.

BillieBob
1st Feb 2005, 08:44
This sort of question invariably generates all sorts of half-truths and misinformation. As usual, there is too little information to make a definitive reply so all one can do is to make certain assumptions and present the relevant options.

Assuming that the questioner is seeking to obtain a JAA licence issued in the UK and that the CAA have not made yet another cock-up in LASORS, the following options, dependant on experience, are currently available:

1. ICAO ATPL with less than 1500hrs valid multi-pilot experience - Complete approved theoretical knowledge training at the discretion of a Head of Training and complete all 14 theoretical knowledge examinations

2. ICAO ATPL with more than 1500 hours valid multi-pilot experience - Complete all 14 theoretical knowledge examinations with no requirement for approved theoretical knowledge training (Note: The CAA assessment quoted by African Drunk is not required in this case but relates to Option 3. below)

3. ICAO ATPL with more than 3000hrs experience in public transport aircraft over 30,000kg MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, including a minimum of 1500 hours as Pilot in Command (Captain) - Apply to the CAA for reduced requirements for theoretical knowledge examinations (Note: This option will result in a licence endorsed for use only in UK registered aircraft and may not be recognised by other JAA member states)

It is unlikely that Option 3. will survive the takeover of JAA licensing by EASA as it is not compliant with the requirements of JAR-FCL 1.

African Drunk
1st Feb 2005, 09:03
BillieBob

Agree with your post however speaking to FCL last week and they also wish to assess the multi crew time even for option 2.

Regards
AD