PDA

View Full Version : Refugees paid bribes for lift on NZ Hercules - magazine

Point0Five
29th Jan 2005, 08:16
Refugees paid bribes for lift on NZ Hercules - magazine
27 January 2005
By JARROD BOOKER

Refugees flown by the Royal New Zealand Air Force from tsunami-ravaged Aceh to Jakarta bribed Indonesian soldiers to get on board, a respected international news magazine has reported.

An article in the American Newsweek publication claimed the New Zealand military had become caught up in "rampant profiteering" in the wake of the disaster that killed more than 150,000 people.

"On a New Zealand military cargo flight from Aceh to Jakarta last week, about half of the `refugees' being carried out were well-dressed people who paid up to $80 to Indonesian military screeners to be allowed on the plane," the article said.

The article catalogues a litany of corruption in the province including:

A deteriorating security situation that includes looters, corpse scavengers, child kidnappers, radical Islamic groups and paramilitary youth gangs.

Uncertainty about the Indonesian army reaction to continuing aid efforts. Before the Tsunami hit commanders ran business empires, oversaw smuggling, illegal logging, protection rackets and extortion in the region.

The Free Aceh movement exporting drugs, kidnapping for ransom and taxing villages.

Looting becoming a common sport for uniformed personnel in Aceh and black market trading rampant.

Indonesia is one of the 20 most corrupt countries in the world, according to last year's Corruption Perceptions Index.

Foreign Minister Phil Goff said last night the New Zealand operation was acting in good faith.

"We've got no information about the accusations other than that the people who we have been flying out have been referred to us by the Indonesian authorities," Goff said.

"Obviously, our basis for this sort of evacuation would be on need. We've been given no evidence to the contrary that the need for evacuation has been subordinated by the ability to pay."

New Zealand Defence Force spokeswoman Commander Sandy McKie said the reports of people buying places on a New Zealand Hercules aircraft were unconfirmed.

"We are not going to investigate it. It is anecdotal evidence," McKie said.

She said the Hercules aircraft only took displaced Indonesians on board if there was room after flying vital food, equipment and personnel from Jakarta to Aceh.

Any "displaced people" taken on the flights to Jakarta were sorted by the Indonesian authorities. About 300 had been transported to date.

"We have no say or control in who these people are," McKie said.

"Some have been reasonably well-dressed but nothing that stands out. Of course, they are still displaced people and have the same right to travel."

Press reporter Dave Courtney flew on a Hercules from Aceh with displaced people and said hundreds wanted to get on the flights out.

Those on his flight were dressed as well as any other residents on the streets of Aceh, Courtney said.

Any money paid for flights would have changed hands out of view of the New Zealanders, he said.

New Zealand First MP Ron Mark and Green Party foreign affairs spokesman Keith Locke have both called for the New Zealand Government to take the matter up with the Indonesian Government.

Mark said the reported incidents showed the need for the Government to be wary of how it devoted its humanitarian resources.

"A wise government would not think with its heart. That may sound harsh but, if we want to do the best for an impoverished nation, we have to keep firm control over how our resources are being used. The Australian government has showed how it should be done."

The New Zealand Government should have been well aware of what to expect by sending Kiwi military to Indonesia, Mark said.

"You can't ignore the history of certain countries. Some countries have a culture of corruption."

Locke said it was important that New Zealand was not complicit in corrupt practices. It was well known the Indonesian military was corrupt.

Locke said he wanted to see claims of bribery taken up with the Indonesian Government at the highest level.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3168143a10,00.html (http://)

Buster Hyman
29th Jan 2005, 09:32
Pity there weren't any C130 mechanics amongst the refugees...:} :ouch:

Kornholio
29th Jan 2005, 10:13
Typical media beat-up......

So the loadmonster passed the hat around to scrounge up some cash for spare parts. So what??? I'd call that excellent initiative.

Don't bag the kiwis just because they have to beg the pathetic, homeless, penniless refugees for cash to run their Hercs.

BRUNG UT ON......

ZK-NSJ
29th Jan 2005, 10:18
kornholio
crawl back into your hole and stay there you stuck up prick,
where does it say anything about the kiwis taking the bribes, the indonesians arrange who is going on what flight and the kiwis just show up and those people are loaded on, you can poke all the fun you like at our guys, but accusing them of corruption crosses the line...

Kornholio
29th Jan 2005, 10:33
This is not corruption. How dare you!

I admire those guys for doing whatever they have to do to keep the machine well-oiled and functional. The Herc, that is....

You obviously don't know what it's like.

:*

:suspect:

:hmm:

:zzz:

There's always one!!! :mad:

Bye

Woomera

Kaptin M
29th Jan 2005, 12:17
Akin to Bush trying to force US style democracy on Iraq, Mr Locke is naieve in the extreme, if he really believes that "claims of bribery taken up with the Indonesian Government at the highest level." are going to change an ingrained, ACCEPTED part of Indonesian society.
They have grown up with it, as did their parents, and their parents' parents.

To Western minds it isn't fair, but in their eyes it's easy to say that, because we are seen as coming from a wealthy country where each of us earns many multiples the wages they do.
Life is cheap in many countries in that region, and anyone with a few dollars can pull a lot of strings.

Eastwest Loco
29th Jan 2005, 12:54
Exactly Kaptin

The Indonesian culture is embedded with corruption and bribes as a way of life.

I have personally made a traffic fine "go away" by paying a bribe to 2 Police Officers, as I was instructed it was the way things work. It was quick and seamless.

indonesian police actually buy their positions for several million rupiah, sons of Colonels and Generals have automatic acceptance into Garuda after subsidised training (often in Australia) and the whole country is as corrupt as a virus infected hard drive.

The K1W1's would have had no idea what was going on beyond their area of control, as the culture is sneaky and very underhand. Very illegal, but tolerated. That is Indo. The only Indonesians you can really trust are the Balinese. They are wonderful. Once you get into the Muslim base areas, you are on your own.

Best all

EWL

Pass-A-Frozo
30th Jan 2005, 01:42
The whole matter wouldn't suprise me at all . The military functions on "extra payments" . How do you think senior officers live on the income that they do.

Buster: very funny indeed - :)

treholer
30th Jan 2005, 05:32
Interesting that with all the aircraft providing assistance in Indonesia. Only the New Zealand C130 is carrying people who have paid to be on it. What objective journalism. This is the sort of PR the NZDF really needs.

TH

Kaptin M
30th Jan 2005, 05:50
As a matter of fact, EWL, corruption/bribery is an "accepted" way of life in all of the Asian countries I've lived and visited during my past 15 years in this region - it just varies in its degree of overtness and subtlety depending on the country involved.
Usually the reason for the "discovery" of a high-ranking official, or government minister being made public, is because he has either overstepped his mark (gone beyond the acceptable level of kickbacks), outlived his usefullness, has attempted to blow the whistle on another peer, or reneged on his obligations to pay someone further up the chain.

Let me share with you, a true story that happened to me some years back in Manila, that indicates how the corruption is known about, and accepted in these countries.
I was taking a taxi from the Ninoy Aquino Airport (Manila), to the Boulevard Hotel on Roxas Boulevard (where I was accomodated during my stint with Air Philippines).
As we drove along Roxas Blvd, with Manila Harbour on our left side, the taxi driver pointed to a policeman standing under one of the large trees off to the right of us - "Look at that big, fat cop standing there....he's finished his work for the day. Look at him, he loves beer!
Tomorrow morning he will be back there again."

I looked at him - yes, he was tall, and certainly he had a big "beer belly" underneath his uniform, that had a wad full of white papers, fluttering in the humid afternoon breeze, stuffed into the top pocket of his coat.

"Early this morning he was on this same highway, stopping trucks going to the market to sell their coconuts, that didn't have their loads covered, or were overloaded.
He must have worked very hard, and would have been sweating, that big, fat cop!
And now the markets have closed, the farmers have sold their coconuts, got their money, and are going to go home. But before they go home, they will have to come this way if they want to save some money."

"How can they save money by coming this way?", I asked.

"Well, did you see those pieces of paper in his pocket?.....they are violations that will cost 200 or 300 pesos if they go through the system.
But they know that he will be here, waiting, if they want to come and pay him 100 pesos directly to have the violation removed.
And then afterwards he will go to the pub to buy himself lots of cold San Miguel beers - THAT is why he is a big, fat cop!!"

Buster Hyman
30th Jan 2005, 20:19
Let's not forget Eastern Europe in the long list of bribing cultures!

The_Cutest_of_Borg
31st Jan 2005, 00:24
The crew of a Caribou passing through Bali quite a few years back needed to "motivate" the local refueller in the usual way. Lacking any rupiah, they used the ES4 form (the government miscellaneous requistion form that they carry).

One can only surmise the look of the bean counters when the copy of the form arrived back in OZ appended, "Bribe for refueller".

I believe they paid up anyway.