PDA

View Full Version : Where did you do your CPL?

Spike001
28th Jan 2005, 22:06
I'm generally interested to see how many of you did your training for your CPL in the UK, or ventured out abroad to get it done?

What made you decide on the location, plus would you recommend them to someone else?

Which companies would you avoid?

Many thanks, good flying (when the weather is suitable :} )

JB007
29th Jan 2005, 08:22
Are you asking as you are searching for a school? This would be my advice:

You need to go and spend the £20,000 where you feel most comfortable. You will only know this by visiting schools and seeing for yourself.

I did my CPL at Humberside, I chose this as it was reasonably close to home and the general reputation was good. I could not have been more wrong - all in all, an expensive and horrible experience. I got bitten because I didn't do my reasearch well enough and didn't ask the right questions. And certainly wouldn't recommend them.

My IR on the other hand, having learn't my lesson was a fantastic experience at PAT at Bournemouth.

Hufty
29th Jan 2005, 09:10
I did my CPL at EFT in Fort Pierce. I chose them because they had a reputation for getting people through the course quickly and I was keen to complete it and be back in the UK in time for Christmas. I also wanted to avoid the UK Winter weather and having spent a couple of months at Bristol doing my multi and IR, I knew that it would take ages to get it completed in this country. In the end, thanks to my instructor working flat out, I got it done in a couple of weeks - flying every day apart from one when the aircraft was in for its 100 hour inspection,

EFT were pretty good and Bristol were very good for the IR.

Hufty.

Spike001
29th Jan 2005, 09:39
I'm not searching for a school at the moment. I'm going to start my ATPL groundschool soon, and the CPL is on my mind, as it's the next step.

Thanks for the info.

:ok:

ritchyh
29th Jan 2005, 12:48
Hi

I did my CPL and IR at PAT in Bournemouth too. The guys know what they are doing and will get you through (if you do what they tell you). I chose PAT for CPL as the examiner can only really take you in a 180 degree arc north of Bournemouth as the sea is to the south. This made it a little bit easier for me to learn the local area for test. It worked for me and the other guys I trained with. The test centre is only round the corner so they can fit you in at short notice and they can also get part time CPL examiners in at weekends (did mine at a weekend). I chose to do my IR there as well because a friend of mine recommended them and after such good CPL training I couldn't refuse. Might not be the cheapest, but the quality certianly makes up for it. Oh and there are no hidden extras (extra landing fees etc.).

Hope this helps. Bring on the sunny days!!!:cool:

Ritchyh

P.S. They have got a cool dog too (Bruno)....:cool:

Whispering Giant
29th Jan 2005, 14:44
Hi,

Did my CPL at Airways Flight Training at Exeter - First class instructors, First class aircraft, First class facilities and nice reasonably uncongested airspace to train in.
There a greatttttttttt bunch of instructors at AFT all of whom have many thousands of hours of commercial flying and all of them will pass on the benefit of there experience.
I cnat speak highly enough of the guys there - top quality all round and certainly not rip off merchant's like some.

brgds
W.G

silverknapper
29th Jan 2005, 16:24
Did mine in the UK. Reasons as follows, in no particular order:

Having done a PPL abroad I realised that there is no substitute for learning where you will fly. Trying to learn JAA syllabus in non JAA airspace is more challenging. Anyone who says it isn't is lying. I also realised how open you are to being treated very badly.
I also realised after my PPL that it isn't necessarily cheaper abroad. Look at the big picture in terms of flights, accomodation, transport etc.
Going to the states these days for flight training is a joke. Look at threads on TSA. I really don't want to be treated like a criminal for the 'honour' of contributing to their economy.
Having spoken to two chief pilots when I was researching my options, both said if it came down to two candidates identical in qualifications, they would take the guy who has actually flown in the country he wants to work in. Having completed my CPL/IR here I can see why.

I only offer my opinions here - I can't be bothered entering into arguments about minor points. Hope it helps.
More importantly - get stuck in the books!!

Cheers

SK

flighttime2.0
29th Jan 2005, 18:12
Did my cpl at Naples air center !

Reason's simple : 1 = cheaper and 2= quicker

Reason 1 , Not coming from a rich back round and not having daddy pump the cash into my back pocket money was a factor.

Reason 2, Being from Ireland and taking our weather conditions into consideration I decided to go to Florida so I could gain my cpl before the age of 65 .

I personally found the level of instruction in Naples excellent ( thanks Andrew ) , got me through the cpl in 11 day's with a hand shake from the examiner saying im impressed . flighttime..

silverknapper
29th Jan 2005, 18:26
I resent the implication that doing it in the UK implies someone is paying for me - what an immature idiot. FYI I borrowed every last cent and now have a debt the size of Ghana's GDP. I thought it worth the 'extra'. Although I have yet to meet someone I know personally who thinks they did save a reasonable amount of money, and I know several people who have gone.

Spike001
29th Jan 2005, 18:59
Having spoken to two chief pilots when I was researching my options, both said if it came down to two candidates identical in qualifications, they would take the guy who has actually flown in the country he wants to work in. Having completed my CPL/IR here I can see why.

I've also been told this as well. :)

I've been financing my flying career myself. I intend to keep out of debt and not take the risk, the best option I feel, even though it might take slightly longer.

flighttime2.0
30th Jan 2005, 12:46
silvernapper you idiot !

I was not imploying for one second that you were a spoilt little boy getting everything payed for you ! I was simply just giving the reasons why I went to florida ( reasons is what spike was looking for for in his post ) . So dont be jumping to conclusions all the time ...

Flighttime

Penworth
30th Jan 2005, 15:56
I went to Naples Air Centre for my CPL as well, the main reasons being, doing it in Florida in January meant I got through it in 10 days without constantly stressing about the weather. Also despite the additional hassles of TSA, visas and flights, I did save about a grand on what I would have paid the UK schools I had considered. Whether I would recommend them, well although I haven't trained commercially at any any other schools, their instruction seemed very good, and most of the aircraft are in decent condition (except the seminole :( ) and they got me through first time in minimum hours so I was happy enough :ok:

silverknapper
30th Jan 2005, 18:21
Would anyone care to publish what their CPL cost them in a foreign country, all inclusive. Not to start an argument just out of interest. PM me it if you like. As I say I have never met anyone saving too much - it was the speed and sun tan which made up for it. If saving a grand is possible it almost looks appealing. An SE CPL here can be had for around £3800.

Cheers