PDA

View Full Version : Jerez - Flight Training Europe!

naughtybutnice6792
28th Jan 2005, 19:13
Hey Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone out there is at, or has been to Flight Training Europe down in Jerez. Was after views and opinions - thinking of doing my CPL, Multi and IR down there.
Am in a total dilemma as to where to do them!
Any advice would be gratefully received,
Thankyou!

cavortingcheetah
28th Jan 2005, 20:32
:) Hello there melt in the mouth and not in the hand.
Can't help too much there except to give you my own little tale.
Couple of years back, on one of my perambulations through Spain I went there. Around 11.00 on a Monday morning.
Reception desk staffed by one nice looking bi-lingual lady, hopelessly overworked, so I left. What really got me was that the front gates were awash with empty booze bottles and glasses, some half full - waste I guess - just as though there had been a big party there. No problem with that but by that time of the morning I would have thought that it should have been cleaned up, regardless of who made the mess. It looked like an in house affair rather than an external binge.
I wrote to BAES on my return, complimenting them upon the unprofessional aspect of the school entrance. Hardly necessary to say that I did not get a job with them as an instructor.
Other than that, Spain is wonderful, especially if you speak the language. The booze is cheap, or so they tell me, and the weather is great. But nonetheless:yuk: for first appearances.
Good luck. I will be interested to read any further post on this site because by now, perhaps they will have forgotten about my letter and might be interested in my fantastic capabilities.
I did post this (or words to the same effect) on The Spanish Forum not so long ago. I think it is now off there as there were no responses. Good luck.:cool:

fastjet2k
29th Jan 2005, 13:28
Hey - I'm down in Jerez at the moment, with regards to the above reply I will point out that FTE is no longer owned by BAE Systems and is now privately owned.

That being said, you will still occasionally find bottles and glasses loitering the front gates where students on a night out have got out the taxi at the main entrance and placed their glass down on the side whilst trying to find their pass in order to gain access to the campus. Most usually forget they'd put it there within 10 seconds of putting it there anyway.

The ethos of this place is work hard, play hard. Results are very good and the aircraft are beautifully maintained (considering most if not all are ex-Prestwick and are not exactly new, they are immaculate). All of the engineering is done on site by FTE's own engineers (most stayed when BAE left I think). The campus is nice, rooms are air conditioned and spacious and the weather is gorgeous. For the purposes of the IR, you might argue that it's better to have wx that's a bit pants, but when you can't see anything during the flight I think I'd rather have some warm air to step into when I land!

Either way, I've not met anybody down here that doesnt like FTE, me included. Having said that, it's worth noting that FTE is more an integrated school than modular so it's worth phoning them ASAP to find out if they can accommodate you before you continue with more research!

If you come down here, give me a shout - I'll buy you a beer!

Good luck

FJ2k

(PS - Cavorting Cheetah - the bottles outside the gate are one of the main selling points of the school for most of us poor alcoholic students - the arrangement was not a random mess, it was probably a work of art. Shame you couldn't appreciate the skill involved in that kind of thing!;) )

cavortingcheetah
29th Jan 2005, 14:35
:) fastjet. I enjoyed your post very much. Down in JHB where I learnt to fly we used to stack the empties and then blast them with handguns. Trick was for the instructor to spin the tin in the air while the pupil then shot it down airborne. Good luck down there:E

fastjet2k
29th Jan 2005, 15:35
Now that IS art - I must contact management and see if we can top it, mortar's perhaps? Maybe a helicopter fitted with a mid-sized cannon? I will investigate the artwork that will inevitably be left there tonight and will post a photo on here tomorrow!

Cheers,

FJ2k

cavortingcheetah
29th Jan 2005, 16:02
Go for it. I'm off to Jhb for some more target practice.
Good Luck:ok:

GRANTS
30th Jan 2005, 08:23
I have been there last week to visit and for the test.
got a great impression.
starting my training in the next course, 21th of Feb.

Grants

concorde002
30th Jan 2005, 13:06
What is even better with the art work outside the gates can be drunk as well, isn't that right Fastjet 2k?
or shall I put this way.... "ohh look there's my drink, here mate hold my drink, which i just smuggled out of the night club and managed not to spill in the taxi ride home, and i'm going to drink that one!!"

GRANTS: nice to hear you decied to come to FTE, instead of Aero Madrid!! Great to have talked to you in the social club last week, see you next month!

fastjet2k
30th Jan 2005, 13:11
I have no recollection of the above mentioned incident and thus post an immediate and full denial of the accusations made herewith. I demand a full retraction of the slander made within these pages and demand to see the evidence to back up the case with which I am charged.

That having been said, I was wondering why I happened to have two empty spirit glasses under my desk :\

DOH

concorde002
30th Jan 2005, 13:12
Do you really want to see the evidence?

GRANTS
30th Jan 2005, 14:36
I took my decision based on the fact that I am aiming to the British market, as all the others (German, Dutch...) will require long language adjustments and the Spanish one seems to be too hard to enter to.
better have a well known British FTO in my CV when attending this market.
I'll still think that Aeromadrid looks great.

next time in the bar you'll have to identify yourself... :ok:

was great meeting all of you there.

Grants