PDA

View Full Version : HMX/Marine 1 contract due..

Razor61
28th Jan 2005, 16:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4216187.stm

hyd3failure
28th Jan 2005, 16:49
Just hope that for the sake of my neighbours and their families that the US101 wins.

Serious consequences should it fail.

Jackonicko
28th Jan 2005, 19:08
In this case, for this role (and for SAR) the US101 is the better aircraft.

rivetjoint
28th Jan 2005, 19:57
3 engines though, more things to break?

dmanton300
28th Jan 2005, 20:36
3 engines though, more things to break?

Or 33% more backup SHOULD something break?

rivetjoint
28th Jan 2005, 20:49
But we live in a cost conscious world now, so cost comes before functionality!

Jackonicko
28th Jan 2005, 21:10
"Lockheed Team Wins Presidential Chopper
------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a surprise move, the U.S. Navy has chosen a trans-Atlantic team led by Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) to build a new U.S. presidential helicopter fleet, a congressional source familiar with the decision said on Friday.

The decision was a stunning setback for Connecticut-based United Technologies Corp.'s (UTX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Sikorsky Aircraft unit -- which for nearly 50 years has built and maintained the green and white "Marine One" helicopters that fly the president."

U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
News Release
On the Web:
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2005/nr20050128-2037.html
Media contact: +1 (703) 697-5131 Public contact:
http://www.dod.mil/faq/comment.html
or +1 (703) 428-0711
_ No. 094-05
IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 28, 2005
Lockheed Martin to Build New Presidential Helicopter
___________ The Department of Defense announced today that the team led by Lockheed Martin Systems Integration, Owego, N.Y., has been selected to build the new presidential helicopter (VXX) based on its U.S. 101 medium lift helicopter.
_
___________ This $1.7 billion, cost plus award fee contract will launch the VXX program’s system development and demonstration phase during which the program will integrate a “system of systems” with a modern, in-production aircraft to provide the president with safe and reliable helicopter transportation.
_
___________ “Today’s announcement is a significant milestone that caps an exhaustive and deliberative source selection process that carefully followed the Federal Acquisition Regulations,” said John Young, assistant secretary of the Navy for research, development and acquisition._ “The determined effort, long hours and hard work by both the VXX government team and the two industry teams will ensure a high level of quality and safety for future presidents, as well as a timely, efficient and effective program execution.”_
_
___________ “This decision truly reflects the best value and capability for the American taxpayer who is funding it, the Marines who will operate it and the future presidents who will fly in it,” Young added.
_
___________ The fleet of helicopters that currently supports the presidential mission includes 30-year old aircraft that were designed in the 1960’s, fielded in the 1970’s and no longer has the growth capability to incorporate the equipment necessary to provide suitable presidential support in the post 9-11 environment.
_
___________ “Under this replacement program, with its technology and performance improvements, a single platform will provide better savings in total ownership costs, engineering, maintenance and logistical support over the lifetime of the program,” Young said.__ “The president needs a more survivable helicopter while the nation engages in the Global War on Terrorism, and we are committed to providing it as soon as possible.”
_
___________ The original Presidential Helicopter Replacement Program of record proposed an initial operating capability in 2013._ The VXX program was accelerated in 2003 with a currently planned IOC in fiscal year 2009.__
_
___________ For more information, please contact Navy Public Affairs at (703) 697-5342.

Twinact
28th Jan 2005, 21:21
Gobsmacked, simply gobsmacked.

Looks like the Yanks have been sold a pup just as we were with SH variant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our condolences, hope the special relationship survives when they realise.:oh:

ZH844
28th Jan 2005, 21:43
As I sit here waiting for the slagging off to begin I must say that the DoD's decision just goes to prove that the Merlin helicopter is the best in its class.

Any negative posts from now on will just be sour grapes!

Well done AW now sort our Merlins out please!

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Visionary
28th Jan 2005, 21:53
Glad to see that the guys that have never flown in it still continually try to slag it off...

Now if only Boeing could sort out the CH47 for the RAF eh

Jackonicko
28th Jan 2005, 21:54
Hmmm yes. After all they could have bought a nice reliable helicopter from US industry. Like the Chinook HC3 or the Apache......

pr00ne
28th Jan 2005, 23:07
ZH844

"Well done AW now sort our Merlins out please!"

Isn't the prime contractor on the Merlin Lockheed-Martin? Are they not responsible for the logistics support just as they were on the C-130J?

Echo your congrats though, that is one SIGNIFICANT contract award.

How ironic eh? The replacement for the Sea King, as US design licence built in the UK, is now a UK design licence built in the US!

Twinact
29th Jan 2005, 06:54
You well informed guys need to know that it was MOD who screwed up the Chinook Mk 3 just as they screwed up buying the Merlin Mk 3. But that's another thread, your comments all appear to be based on the maritime variant so I'll leave you to squabble about what is 'best in class' - there's no doubt about that in the SH world.
:cool:

Lee Jung
29th Jan 2005, 06:57
prOOne,

Almost.......

Now - An Italian company's design built under license in the US.

How much work/income will the Yeovil economy get as the maximum possible has to be spent on assembly/sub-contractors in the US?

This is not a gripe, I'm genuinely interested being a native.

The word from an ex-sqn mucker who was on VH-1 was thay they were mightily impressed by the 101, particularly 'the smoothness of the ride', with the active vibration reduction working.

Good on ya Bush, hostages freed and helicopter bought in the same week.

Apologies to the families of the Black Watch for having to pay for it.

ZH844
29th Jan 2005, 07:49
Pr00ne,

The reason I ask AW to sort out the Merlin is because LMA are a lost cause - they do not understand what is required. You cannot jus throw bodies at a problem - it doesn't work like that.

Having worked with AW through both the good and bad times I am convinced that they have the right people to do the job and help us realise the total potential of both the HMA and the SH.

If I was responsible for the programme I would chuck LMA a couple of quid and say thanks but we don't need you any more and then ask AW to get us back flying.

Take a look at MCSP, LMA are doing it all over again!

Hueymeister
29th Jan 2005, 07:59
Lee Jung

They're getting the blades plus ancilliaries contract according to SKY news. Ok it's only 23 aircraft, but it's a major win over the Sikorsky bid.

HM

Postman Plod
29th Jan 2005, 13:01
I geuss the next question is - what about the other US contracts?

Was this purely payback for support during the war (thanks for your support, heres a contract for 23, but dont even think you'll get anything else, its not American enough) or does the Merlin really stand a chance??

KENNYR
29th Jan 2005, 14:48
It will be interesting to see Canada's reaction having just ordered a whole fleet of Sikhorsky H92's. It seems that Canada is the only Military customer right now. Good news for the Merlin though!

hyd3failure
29th Jan 2005, 16:10
Fantastic news and a sincere congratulartions to the Guys at WHL. Thoroughly deserved. The right aircraft at the right price. Well done all concerned.

Now hopefully they can win the order for F.Lynx and the future of Britains helicopter industry will be assured.

dmanton300
30th Jan 2005, 02:25
Fantastic news and a sincere congratulartions to the Guys at WHL. Thoroughly deserved.

Errr. . sorry, did you not a couple of days ago call the entire -101 programme a "complete disgrace"? I'm a little confused here, or were you being ironic? Genuine interest, not Sh1t stirring. . .

sprucemoose
31st Jan 2005, 09:15
Hey, maybe George W isn't the gigantic idiot that Michael Moore-on would have us believe! I was convinced this was a Sikorsky shoe-in, so it's a great coup for AgustaWestland, LM and Bell to supply the 101.
Well done to the guys on 28 Sqn and other support units who took the Merlins out to the US a couple of times to back the campaign - every little helps!
Bet there were some sore heads in Yeovil over the weekend - well done!

hyd3failure
31st Jan 2005, 13:19
No... I called the Merlin programme a complete disgrace...and it is. The Americans have procured a US101. That is not a Merlin. In fact its very different. For a starter, their logistical support system will be much more robust than ours...(That won't be hard as we don't have a logistical support system)

However, now that the US have purchased half a dozen US101's...how long before the USMC purchase 200 more..????

Razor61
31st Jan 2005, 14:49
AgustaWestland axe jobs for the same reason as BAE Systems did last week.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4222975.stm

dmanton300
31st Jan 2005, 16:59
No... I called the Merlin programme a complete disgrace...and it is.

Ahh okay, now I get yah! :D

TURNBULL
31st Jan 2005, 19:14
MOD are struggling to find a role for the Mk 3 variant of the Merlin (is it SH? no, okay lets try this CSAR thing) so trust the Yanks to take a cranky British invention (a 3 engine helicopter the size of a Chinny with the lift capacity of a Wessex) and turn it around into something useful.

They're going to use it as a taxi for George Dubwa, fantastic; just like those stretched limos in NY, massive cabin for about 12 guys. Now why doesn't Blair have the same idea, 32 Sqn are looking for a replacement for their ageing Twin Squirrel VIP fleet and we've got some spare airframes looking for a role.

Simple!