PDA

View Full Version : Time spent on the ground.

CX
23rd Mar 2001, 12:02
In a few months I will be a C/X S/O (I know,,, I am mad!!!) and was wondering just how much time off you get, and what the possibilities are of starting up a business in H.K. are. I know a few pilots in the U.K. have other jobs (not flying related),how about here in H.K.? From the sounds of it I may also need a second income as well as keeping my brain active (just hope CX don't mind)!!

------------------
Your Attitude determines your Altitude....

Neutral Stability
24th Mar 2001, 11:22
You could try opening up a management consultancy business. I believe there is much need of this sort of thing in Hong Kong!

jagman
27th Mar 2001, 10:39
What an arrogant thing to ask. Do you think that being an S/O will be so easy for your incredible brain that you will be bored.
Before you've even joined??
I think you are in the wrong profession - you want nuclear physics or the like.
This job gives back what you put in so don't think about a simultaneous career just yet. Learn as much as you can about the aircraft you're flying and then get involved in the AOA to fill up your spare moments.
They may need a brain as big as yours soon....

geh065
27th Mar 2001, 16:35
I don't think that the guy's question was all that bad. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of ambition in your life, and with everyone on this forum saying how bad things are, surely that's more of an incentive to supplement your income by a small side business. As he rightly says, many guys do it, and all he is asking at the moment is some details from people. Are you suggesting that with 5 days off after a long-haul that he spend everyday studying? There's nothing wrong with asking about details from someone who may be able to provide them.

LittleBubba
27th Mar 2001, 17:32
Hey man, don't worry. I used to be an s/o for CX a few years back, and I remember flying with assholes like "Jagman". I spent many hours in the right seat going across the Pacific listening to guys like him goin on and on how important it was to be an s/o. The bottom line is that all you do is keeping the seat warm for the next guy plus I almost forget, making the bunks.

Good luck,

[This message has been edited by LittleBubba (edited 27 March 2001).]

had_enough
27th Mar 2001, 17:51
Well LittleBubba you have just confirmed many of the fears that a large pecentage of Captains have !!

HotDog
27th Mar 2001, 18:09
CX, having lived in HKG for 33 years before my retirement, I can recommend a good sideline for you. Apply to the Department of Roads to spin the stop/go signs at one of the miriad of roadworks that are constantly taking place in Hong Kong. It is a nice outdoor job. Unfortunately due to the high degree of pollution, you will have to mask your nose and mouth. However, that will hide your identity of a CX S/O. Cheers, HD.

[This message has been edited by HotDog (edited 27 March 2001).]

jagman
27th Mar 2001, 19:27
Well 'Littleperson' - I don't know if you've flown with me or not but I don't think you would be quite so rude if you had. My flight deck is safe, humorous and pleasant. My post was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek too but that obviously passed you by.
There's nothing wrong with starting at the bottom - we all did - do you expect the Captain to make the bunks (I have once actually)?
Maybe you think you should already be a Captain. If you were, I suspect your fellow crew members would find your attitude a little aggressive.
Relax Littleperson - your day will come...

huntsman
29th Mar 2001, 03:06
jagman,
so you made the bunks once!
are you okay?
wasn't too hard or demeaning, was it?

give the guy a constructive answer or not. "if you can't say something nice, ..."

BTW i didn't read it at all to be tongue in cheek. seemed serious enough to me.

LittleBubba
29th Mar 2001, 05:51
Jagman, If that was meant as a "tounge in the cheek", then I know for sure that YOUR flight deck must very safe, HUMOROUS and pleasant. And yes, I expect for you to pitch in with the bunks, at least the captains at Atlas and my now current airline, United are all doing it.

Midnight Rambler
29th Mar 2001, 06:21
Well, the simnplest would be to let jagman make his own bunk except that he's usually into it for the second rest.....do you really expect somebody else to make your bed for you??

BTW I also didn't read much "tongue-in-cheek" in your posting.

RAM
30th Mar 2001, 07:26
Personally, … I take a great deal of pride from making the bunks. I always ask which side the gentlemen prefer to sleep, … ensuring the grain of the blanket is correctly positioned for optimum comfort. I refuse to accept the satin edged blankets (which are too small for the bunks, … and therefore do not tuck in properly and can lead to a disrupted sleep). I place a bottle of water, a hand towel and earplugs into each bunk’s pouch, and fluff the pillows. I used to put a chocolate on each pillow as well, … but after having an angry Captain storm out, with a dark brown smear on his face, I have now stopped doing that. Not a pretty sight! And why you ask? I don’t do it for the thanks, or the rewards. I do it for the personal satisfaction and professional pride.

Goodnight!

jagman
30th Mar 2001, 11:16
Well 'Bubba' - I wish you well in United. I'm sure that all the Senior Capts there are busy interrupting the before start checklist to go and make the bunks whilst the S/O does more important things.
I'm not surprised that you didn't get the slightly sarcastic (tongue in cheek) tone in my post. You seem an angry person who readily uses words like 'asshole' when you don't like something or somebody.
To say that the S/O is 'keeping the seat warm for the next guy' is also a very negative way of looking at his duties. Some of them are good and some not so. You must have been very overconfident to think that you were wasting your precious time just being there.
Don't call me an 'asshole' Bubba. I have been doing this job for 27 years and have been a Captain on widebodies for 19 with several inflight shutdowns and diversions to my name. I needed the team to be on side (and not 'keeping seats warm') then and we all need that now.
I don't expect you to agree so this is the last time I will react to your rudeness. BTW do you really think I meant for the guy to be a nuclear physicist??
As for huntsman - yes I think it's too demeaning. Exactly - well done.

LittleBubba
30th Mar 2001, 11:56
Is this guy for real or what? "As for huntsman - yes I think it's too demeaning. Exactly - well done." Or is that just another "tounge in cheek"? Ohh I forget, CX invented UHL flying.. LOL

jagman
30th Mar 2001, 17:07
I guess you mean 'tongue' and 'ULH' Bubboy. At least you spelt CX correctly.........

ACMS
30th Mar 2001, 17:30
Little bubba:- Not too many of our S/O's left for UA, and I have flown with you. I hope your standards improved? can you now make correct HF radio calls?

By the way which airline in the US nearly lost a 400 out of SFO a few years back because they were stupid? yep that one :)

cheers.

Fatbastard
30th Mar 2001, 18:21
Ram...you are the consumate professional! Well done! The choccies are my favourite touch...

LittleBubba
30th Mar 2001, 22:28
Jagman: I thought you gave up on me..

ACMS: I didn't leave CX for United, and yes still having problem with HF.

What can I say, female pilots..

huntsman
31st Mar 2001, 02:47
is jagman the type who has ALL his mail addressed to "Capt." jagman?

ACMS
1st Apr 2001, 16:41
Little fella: what you smoking boy?

In one of your posts you wrote "and my current airline United" ??????? I must be seeing things again!! So maybe you left CX, joined XXX then went to UA? mmmmm I still think I've flown with ya.