PDA

View Full Version : Can I pay to upgrade to Premium Economy onboard Virgin Atlantic?

Jimlad
27th Jan 2005, 21:27
(Mods please move if this isn't the best forum for this topic)

I'm flying on VS22 shortly through work and am flying economy. The ticket is fully flexible and booked centrally in a block booking, the option is there at booking to upgrade to premium economy for £500 but my boss has chosen not to do this.

My question is this: Flying back on VS22 would it be possible to pay at check in or onboard to upgrade to premium economy and how much would this cost?

(Please note I am not trying to blag an upgrade, and am happy to pay my way legitimately on this).

Thanks very much for your help on this.

Patolucas
28th Jan 2005, 13:42
You should be able to pay for it, the price depends on how full that particular cabin is, sometimes they have promotions in order to boost some cabins.

Good luck.

PS: I'd try to do it on the ground and not onboard.

Jimlad
28th Jan 2005, 14:32
Logic would suggest that it would be in the region of £250 (only one sector), but does anyone else know if this is the case?

The_Banking_Scot
28th Jan 2005, 18:28
Hi jimlad,

I have heard ( on www.v-flyer.com) that for the East coast of the USA flights ( and IAD -Washington which is the VS21/22 route) that upgrades at the ticket desk on the day of departure could be had for £199 each way.

Of course you are then relying on the upgraded seats being available ( ie PE not full on the day)

Good luck

Regards

TBS

Hartington
29th Jan 2005, 18:31
Whatever you do, don't try it onboard. If you wait until you get to the airport you run the risk that PE will already be full. However, as others have suggested, there are sometimes special offers on departure.

Try phoning VS to ask what they will charge if you do the upgrade now. Then ask your travel agent as well.

Leezyjet
30th Jan 2005, 00:12
It is possible to pay for the upgrade onboard, but that is subject to seats being available and would not be able to be done until the a/c is airborne.

IIRC it costs about £400 to go from Y-W by paying to u/g onboard.

As has been said, ask at the ticket desk on the day.

:)

Jimlad
30th Jan 2005, 09:12
Thanks guys, I'll give Virgin a call once the seats are confirmed and see what I can do. I have £50 of virgin vouchers which can be used for flights/holidays and was hoping to use them if possible to pay towards the cost. Lets see what happens.