PDA

View Full Version : Converting to FAA

davey147
27th Jan 2005, 21:22
I currently have a JAA PPL and would like to do the FAA PPL as I probably would do most of my flying in the US.

I was just wondering if I would have to do the whole FAA course. Like for example for the JAA there is a minimum of 45 hours, I wouldn't have to do all the 45 hours for the FAA again would I.

Thanks, I would be grateful for any help.

cfimei
28th Jan 2005, 01:25
No, you wouldn't have to do the full course, just whatever needs to be 'added' to comply with the aeronautical experience requirements of FAR 61.105

You'll need an FAA 3rd class medical and you'll need to pass the PPL Knowledge Test plus ground school to bring you up to speed on US airspace, weather and regs.

Charlie Zulu
28th Jan 2005, 06:45
Hi Davey,

There are two possibilities which are either obtain an FAA PPL based upon the validity of your JAA PPL or to obtain a stand alone FAA PPL.

The first option is fairly straight forward whereby you send a form to the FAA and another to the CAA (assuming your JAA PPL was issued in the UK).

1) Send the FAA a faxed copy of the form below.

http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf

The number can be found on the following page but for convenience the number is 001 (405) 954-9922.

http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp#verify

2) Send the CAA a copy of their form (assuming your JAA PPL was issued by the UK CAA) together with their fee (I believe it is £15 but better check with them).

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1160.PDF

3) Behind the scenes the FAA will then contact the CAA and validate your JAA PPL.

4) Once your JAA PPL has been validated you will be sent a letter of validation. Your chosen FSDO will also have a copy.

5) Attend your chosen FSDO (don't forget to phone to obtain an appointment time). They will ask you to fill out an FAA PPL application form. Take your passport, JAA PPL and Medical, Logbook and anything else you feel necessary. No money necessary though! You will walk out of the FAA FSDO with your new FAA PPL (a temporary one - the real one will be posted to you within 3 months).

6) You will now have an FAA PPL but it will be based upon the validity of your JAA PPL and Medical. If your JAA PPL lapses then your FAA PPL will also. In order to use your FAA PPL you will require to undergo a BFR which is basically an hour or so with the instructor on the ground and in flight.

The other route is to obtain an FAA PPL that is fully standalone.

Firstly obtain an FAA Medical. Either a Class 1, 2 or 3. Doesn't matter which if you're not going on later to get your CPL etc.

Then you will need to study for and pass the FAA PPL Written Test. You can do this in the UK at Norwich but I'm sure there are other places in the UK.

Then brush up on your flying skills. You will also need to learn ground reference maneouvers such as Eights on Pylons, S Turns etc as you will be examined on these on your FAA PPL checkride. You will NOT need to do the full 40 hour course. Just enough training to get you up to scratch.

Take and pass an FAA PPL Check Ride. This will include a very thorough Oral Exam with the examiner before you go flying.

At the end of the checkride and assuming it is successful you will be issued a FAA PPL on the spot by the examiner, again this will be temporary one and the credit card style FAA PPL will be posted to you within three months or so.

Your FAA PPL will not be linked to your JAA PPL so you can let your JAA PPL / Medical lapse and still be legal to fly on the basis of your FAA PPL as long as you have a current BFR and FAA Medical.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Zulu.