PDA

View Full Version : Is my monitor going on the blinkity blink?

Mo Heekan
27th Jan 2005, 17:42
Hi chaps,

When I do about an hour or so's work at the 'puter', the monitor switches off whenever I start 'loading' the computer up i.e. I surf the net or cause the CPU to start working a bit hard, or change windows. I can switch it on again instantly, but as soon as I try and open a different window "tssschhhrrt" - off it goes. Annoying.

Now, it is about 8 years old, so I wonedered if it's on its final legs? I've checked for bugs, spyware, viruses etc etc and am heavily protected, so I don't think it's a 'bug'. I've also tried changing the refresh rate, but to no avail. All is OK however, if its left off for a while? Confusing..........

Any ideas would be appreciated

Regards

Mo

P.S If I have to change it, I'd like a dual flat panel setup. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

Oggin Aviator
27th Jan 2005, 20:21
Sounds like your video card if it only happens when the processor gets busy. The signal, from the video card to the monitor remains the same irrespective of processor demand, hence your problem may be inside the PC, not the monitor. Just my thoughts.

HTH

Oggin

Mo Heekan
28th Jan 2005, 04:05
Excellent diagnosis Oggin :ok: but my only concern on that is why doesn't it happen until a good hour or two of use has gone by?

So if I buy a new video card, isn't that a perfect excuse to buy my dual monitors? :)

Any other thought please?

Regards

Mo

Oggin Aviator
28th Jan 2005, 15:53
my only concern on that is why doesn't it happen until a good hour or two of use has gone by?

Video card heating up? Something else heating up?

Whatever is happening it is always an excuse to upgrade to shinier kit I'd say :ok:

Cheers

Oggin

ZH875
28th Jan 2005, 16:33
Does the monitor go blank or switch completly off?.

If it switches Off, is it plugged into a power socket on the back of the PC, or direct to the mains, as if it was in the PC, the PC PSU may be on its way out.

Lost_luggage34
28th Jan 2005, 17:29
I reckon Oggin has it correct.

A bit of thermal creep. Quite possibly a failing solder joint within the VDU or a ventilation issue with the video card/PC itself.

maxell
28th Jan 2005, 20:26
is the video card fan blocked with dust?

Toxteth O'Grady
28th Jan 2005, 20:29
Sounds like a dying psu to me.

:cool:

TOG

Mo Heekan
29th Jan 2005, 06:36
Thanks guys for all of the replies:

The PSU was changed about 2 months ago as the computer kept switching off.....

The monitor does switch off, but the green light next to the on/off buttonm stays on. It's got it's own power supply directly to the mains, which makes me think it's not the computer PSU. I'll check the video card, but it looks as if I'll have to upgrade :)

The only answer I wanted I think. Thanks chaps. I really appreciate your time replying.

Regards

Mo