PDA

View Full Version : Help - USA East Coast July

candoo
27th Jan 2005, 12:55
Having a nightmare trying to find a fare to BOS, EWR or JFK below £500. Travelling Mid-July and need to be there for w.c. 18th July but am flexible about arrival and departure (2 or 3 days either way)

Tried all the usual web suspects but having no joy.

Any ideas, also why is it suddenly sooo expensive?

Cheers for any help.

zed3
27th Jan 2005, 13:52
It's a strange thing called the summer holiday season , attacks every year between June and early September causing ticket prices to steeply rise because people want to buy them . Strange but still no cure after years of research !

candoo
27th Jan 2005, 14:29
Zed3 - Nah don't buy it flew last summer same'ish time for under £300.

Maybe was just lucky then!

Come to think of it flew to Boston as well in September for much less than £300.

MarkD
27th Jan 2005, 14:59
Try travelocity.co.uk and enter LON to NYC (giving you all airports in both dests.)

Swiss had the lowest fare but wouldn't confirm the test dates I tried.

Ba.com won't go lower than 554 ex LHR or MAN to BOS or JFK

Aer Lingus (aerlingus.com) quotes LHR-SNN-BOS-SNN-LHR out 16.7 back 23.7 for 500.85 stg. (and Shannon has US immigration preclearance) - you could try looking for LHR-JFK too but you might have to move back/forward days to get the best fare.

[edited - had a look at JFK, out 14th back 26th 450GBP]

candoo
5th Feb 2005, 10:09
Have, at last, found a good deal out on the 14th to JFK back on the 21st. All in for £278.00.

Flying with Kuwaiti Airways - anyone had any experience with this carrier?

Comments, as always, appreciated.

Avman
5th Feb 2005, 11:47
If you're willing to fly via a mainland European hub, you might find good deals with LH, AF, IB etc. I haven't checked though.

zed3
5th Feb 2005, 13:59
candoo.....never flown them but it's orange juice out and back . No alcohol allowed .

Globaliser
6th Feb 2005, 10:00
Can you take your own bottle of, um, "water" with you, and use it to, um, "dilute" the orange juice? Seems to work on other similar carriers.

Doors to Automatic
6th Feb 2005, 16:24
Have you tried Air India?

I flew with them in October for £1000 business class and would highly recommend them. I even got a cockpit visit en route (!)

candoo
6th Feb 2005, 17:35
DtA

Was my first port of call on a recommendation, however website never seems to work and I couldn't be doing with a trip down Southall!

Still have booked with the Kuwaiti guys so will report after the event.

Final 3 Greens
6th Feb 2005, 18:50
Candoo

Haven't flown with Kuwait, but friends who have say its fine.

DtA

I agree about AI, have used them to JFK in J and its great so long as you don't want PTV or a full entertainment experience (I don't.)

Great curries too ;)

Doors to Automatic
7th Feb 2005, 17:08
Final 3 Greens

I think they now have personal DVD players with a raft of recent movies.

Personally I didn't bother as the flight was fairly short and I spent most of it talking to (and drinking with) the chap sat next to me.

Candoo

Try Expedia, Travelocity and Opodo and see if AI comes up - if not I would just call them rather than using their website (It didn't work for me either!)

candoo
13th Feb 2005, 11:47
Got confirmation of Kuwaiti flight but they ask if I have any Israeli stamps in my passport - erm yes I do!

What happens now should I trash this passport and get a new one or what?