PDA

View Full Version : cabine crew interview help

jeanmike
27th Jan 2005, 12:26
My Grandaugher has been for interviews (she got though different parts with different airlines, tho, the last one she didnt even get through second stage. she was so nervous after these knock backs.

shes at her last year at college doing travel /leisure/ tourism course + she has languages.
she has passed first year which enables her the job- shes been told / but doing another year. cos needs to be over 18 anyway.

she thought/she was taking the right path doing this course. she is 18. and has worked various part time jobs/

This is what she wants to do.

Help - can you tel us how to get these jobs any help please,. i have seen courses advertised (£300) is that a way to go. bit nervy of them without knowledge. I would pay this for her if it would help

thanks very much for any help you can give

Granny jean.

wheelbarrow
27th Jan 2005, 13:14
Whatever you do don't pay for your grandaughter to attend one of the training courses. It would be more helpful to have the college course that she is attending with her languages and maybe some working experience within the service industry dealing with the public on her cv rather than the above said course.

Most airlines tend not to recruit crew under the age of 19 with a few exceptions, and certainly not under the age of 18.

My advice would be to gain some service experience and when she has reached an age where she can apply to the majority of airlines she needs to write to all of them specifying her interest. The airline industry usually recruit new crew between November and March ready for the busy summer season.

Most airprots have an airport job centre where cabin crew posts are advertised, these can also be accessed via the web.

There is no right or wrong way to get through an airline group interview selection. All airlines are looking for different things.Just be yourself, look smart, be on time, work as a team during the interview tasks, listen to the other applicants opinions as well as adding your own. Most of all be confident! they do not like loud and cocky or quiet and mouselike.

Good luck!!

TightSlot
27th Jan 2005, 18:10
Granny jean - wheelbarrow has given good advice IMHO. I'd second that about the commercial training courses. I've found that they don't help at all, and certainly dont make for better crew members once they are actually on the line working. The phrase "over confident" springs to mind about the crew who have attended these courses.

Good Luck

nwaflygirl
28th Jan 2005, 00:39
Granny Jean, I also concur with the others about the FA courses. I have been a FA for 10 years now and have not met one co-worker who has attended these. Complete waste of time, effort and money. Good Luck!

summer*rain
28th Jan 2005, 14:43
I definitely agree that statring your career on check-in, at your nearest airport would be the best bet for experience into the aviation world.
Summer

sixmilehighclub
28th Jan 2005, 18:49
Best get a job in a travel agency or airport terminal etc once out of college. She needs to gain more experience in customer facing, problem handling, etc, enough to give her some first hand experience to be able to answer the following:

Ever dealt with a difficult customer/ what happened/ how did you deal with it?

Give an example of when you worked as part of a team to effectively resolve an issue?

Ever dealt with a situation which needed you to have cultural awareness or an understanding of special needs?

To get a feel for what different airlines need, go online for application forms and check out the questions to get an idea of the sort of thing that she will need to accomplish or be competent/confident with before being able to approach an airline as a potential employee. Then think of part time jobs which are more likely to incorporate these skills.

hostiegirl
28th Jan 2005, 20:43
:ok: i agree with all of the above!!i have flown for 8 years at 3 different airlines and have never flown with anyone who has attended these courses!!.i have also been on recruitment teams and they have no relevence we look at social skills and teamwork,ability to take in information and personal presentation.work experience a good personality and nice smile wins me over everytime and comes for free unlike these courses which are a waste of time/money!!!!!:D

pacific.heights
28th Jan 2005, 21:50
Hi, as above, i ve never met anyone who have been to these cheap and useless courses.

18 IS A BIT TOO YOUNG, SHE SHOULD APPLY NEXT YEAR.

She s got a better job to get a job as cabin crew if she gets a job in a customer orientated environment,.

bUT AGAIN, DONT WAIT YOUR MONEY AND HER TIME WITH THESE COURSES. They are not recognised by the airline industry whatever they might say.

jeanmike
31st Jan 2005, 18:35
Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to help.

dan has got a monarch application (fingers crossed)
- she worked hard and deserves a break.

i no shes my grandaughter - but i just no she would do wel in the job . and has a lot to offer.

so as u can see i am tryin to help her.

thanks granny jean