PDA

View Full Version : PIA 742 Incident at Jeddah

SV_741_India_Bravo
27th Jan 2005, 10:54
Hi,
Anyone have news about the PIA 747-200 (AP-AYW) Incident at Jeddah?
thanks

Flyer1015
28th Jan 2005, 00:09
When did it happen? Recent or old?

I found one entry for PIA AP-AYW

Date: February 4, 1986

Time: 9:00 AM

Type: Boeing 747-282B

C/n: 21035/256

Year built: 1975

Crew: 0 fatalities/17 on board

Passengers: 0 fatalities/247 on board

Total: 0 fatalities/264 on board

Phase: Landing

Nature: Scheduled passenger

Flight: Karachi - Islamabad

Flight number: PK-300

Remarks: Crew forgot to lower the landing gear before landing. The aircraft made belly landing. Passengers and crew were evacuated through emergency escape slides. Some of the passengers received minor injuries during the evacuation process. After repairs, the Boeing 747 was put back into service.

This rare color photo is scanned from 'Flight International' magazine (issue of 12 July, 1986) in Amaad's collection. The photo shows AP-AYW minutes after making belly landing at Islamabad International Airport on February 4, 1986. Two PIA air-hostesses, one seen near the first emergency escape slide (wearing purple color uniform shirt) and the other one near the second emergency escape slide (wearing magenta color uniform shirt), are moving away from the stricken aircraft. And you can see fire fighters giving attention to inner star-board engine

SV_741_India_Bravo
28th Jan 2005, 14:52
Actually,
A couple of days ago,the last few luggage bins of AP-AYW fell down (one can only imagine who on) after takeoff.Apparently it was a hajj flight and the plane landed at JED after about an hour...
Wouldnt it have been better if they headed to Riyadh?

Earl
28th Jan 2005, 16:04
You are talking about the overhead compartments I assume.
If so must have had some injured passengers requiring medical attention to return.
That Zam Zam water is heavy.
I am not sure of the weight capacity of the overhead compartments but I feel sure it may have been exceeded.
So many haj flights leave out of here overloaded in the cargo and overhead its a wonder we have not had many accidents.
We used to call them the Rose village departures, as we were very low over this compound.
The aircraft would not climb on schedule or maintain the flight planned alttitude for the weight we thought we were at.
Running through the charts backwards we always seen we were 10 to 15 tons overweight based on the EPR we had to maintain, almost MCT.
After dropping the Hajjies off and flying back to Jed empty the aircraft would always fly right on the charts.
Just shows how forgiving the 747 is.
This has always been a major problem and I doubt it will be fixed soon.
As far as the one hour return time, I am sure the after evaluating the situation, medically and jettisoning the fuel as to not land over max landing weight this was about the normal block to chock time. RUH is probably not as well equiped to deal with haj passengers as Jed.
Also their may have been a question as to crew duty time limitations that could not have been resolved in RUH.
As no replacement crew would have been available.