PDA

View Full Version : Are there many "Yankee" pilots at Cathay Pacific?

CALI_cfi
5th Nov 2000, 10:10
I have a couple of questions about CX.
(I already read the CX postings on this website...mostly negative stuff)

1. Are American pilots welcome at CX?

2. I heard there is an age limit on S/O hiring... this true?

3. What are competitive mins?...CX website
published mins are 1000 fixed wing for S/O's
Are they hiring any S/O's near min. times now-a-days?

4. I heard the medical exam is tough...any truth to this?

Basically, I'm a CFI instructing on the west coast. My times are 650tt/60multi. I'd like to go to Cathay Pacific for the experience of living in H.K. and being able to fly nice equipment to exotic places...just one of those life experiences I'd like to try out while I'm single. I'm 32 years old...so the rumor on the age limit for S/O slots concerns me. I assume they are hurting for pilots like everywhere else.

Thank-you for your time!

Thrust
5th Nov 2000, 10:55
Yes US pilots are welcome at CX. Having spoken recently to a manager involved in US recruitment interviews the problem is finding some that know anything about flying big jets. (no offence to you)

Age limit for S/O is somewhat flexable. 36 is published but age / experience comes into play at the upper level.

Can't say what the "competitive min's" are as I'm not that sure.

Medical exam is thorough but nothing more. An AID's blood test and liver function test will be done. At low 30's you should be in reasonable shape and that's what they want to see. You'll have 20+ years to get out of shape!

One word to the wise though. If you get an interview don't repeat what you have written here. ie "just one of those life experiences I'd like to try out while I'm single". You won't get a look in with us or any other airline if that's your attitude. Big investment requires a return past your single days. If it's still your attitude keep it to yourself.

I expect you will have to work a while more with the age v's hrs but if CX is your goal, good luck. (you might need it)

BUSDRVR
9th Nov 2000, 04:43
your about 2000 hours short, but with the large hiring boom in regional airlines in the states, It seems to me you could get hired there and get a couple thousand hours worth of experience.

I had a mate who just interviewed 30 years old 3500 tt, 2000 turbine! that is about the mean, but they do take lower time guys if they are younger and have the right educational background.

as for the thrusters comments, very true, this come over here and party then leave attitude will not get you here, if you come you better plan to be here for the next 28 years!